Apparently Syracuse won't watch film on Michigan until game day | Syracusefan.com

Apparently Syracuse won't watch film on Michigan until game day

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
The players, anyway. That's interesting.

I don't know who this Everett Cook guy is but fwiw...

Everett Cook @ everettcook 26m
Syracuse guard Brandon Triche says he hasn't watched tape on Michigan yet, which seems interesting considering they are playing tomorrow

Everett Cook @ everettcook 21m
Now Syracuse forward Rakeem Christmas says they won't watch film until tonight or tomorrow morning. How is that possible?

Everett Cook @ everettcook 2m
Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins confirms they haven't watched film, saying most of the guys have watched Michigan games on their own time

JB is a different breed. He has never done gameday shootarounds either unlike most coaches. If they haven't watched Michigan film yet, I am sure it was the same way for the rest of their games. Why change it now.

I'm guessing the film session is in lieu of a shoot around

I don't understand it... But hey... Im an idiot.

Ha. Me too. I would think you would want to watch quite a bit of tape but that's not him. He even said in the presser today how he dosn't really watch tape and will react more in game to what Michigan will try to run.

Pitino on the other hand today said he was really concerned about CSU in the second round and was up all night looking at tape on them.

Interesting. I dont know if I should feel more or less confident because of it.

Ha. Me too. I would think you would want to watch quite a bit of tape but that's not him. He even said in the presser today how he dosn't really watch tape and will react more in game to what Michigan will try to run.

Pitino on the other hand today said he was really concerned about CSU in the second round and was up all night looking at tape on them.

There is a big difference between how JB prepares/scouts for games and just about any other coach in the country. JB relies on in game "instincts" kind of like Al McGuire used to do. There aren't many coaches left like that.

Interesting. I dont know if I should feel more or less confident because of it.

More. Says to me that we're going to do what we want and make them adjust, not the other way around. We aren't planning specifically for Michigan, we're just planning to play our game. Impose our will from the tip off and then watch them frantically try and figure out how to catch up.

Or maybe JB thinks there's no need to psyche yourself out watching Stauskas light it up, or Burke, or McGary, etc.

He's the ultimate technician of the game probably just concentrating his and the team's attention on practicing their own D and O without distractions. There already are plenty of those with the Final Four hoopla.

As a side note: boy, those Lithuanians can shoot! Our own version wasn't too bad either (Janulis).

Wasn't there an article around win 900 that pretty much said JB watches more games than just about any other coach, but also less film than any other coach?

Wasn't it Bill Self who during a half-time interview criticized his staff who gave him strategy based on their film review / scouting report? Maybe it was another coach during the Regionals - not sure. Regardless - wasn't something you hear every day.

Like Bilas always says about JB,he flips the script on you. Why watch them play offense against a defense that won't be used in the game.

Good point, but Jimmy and the staff surely have seen their 2 games against Wisc.

Why watch game tape when they've never played against a Zone like ours. The tape isn't gonna show them how they attack the zone, no point to wasting players time on it. JB always says stuff like that, that there is no point in watching tape to see how a team attacks the zone.

Fresh in mind to watch just before...

Here's the threats... here's where we have to morph the amoeba and when...

The nice thing about the zone w... we're talking tweaks for opposing players, not completely adjusted defensive sets...

I think it has to do with the idea of having the guys' first impression of Michigan come from the coaches and not their own observations. By hearing an oral scouting report before watching Michigan, the team will be keyed in and condition to see what the coaching staff wants them to see without any of their own prejudices.

Instead of seeing the kid go 6/6, they'll see how Florida completely lost track of him and didn't close out on him. CJ, Jerami and James can't let him get the wide open looks that Florida gave him.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Even tho the players havent watched any film yet, I'm sure JB and the rest of the coaches has. Then just give the team the break down in the morning.

Right?

I don't understand it... But hey... Im an idiot.
I'm liking this not because I think you are an idiot, but because that was the exact thing that went through my head.

JB spoke about this in one of his press conferences/interviews. I believe he said he probably watches less tape than anyone in the country.

He then poked fun at football coaches and how their players only understand 10% of what coaches tell them.

He also said that he coaches his players to play better and those are his in-game adjustments. Or something of that nature.

Watch out, MGoBlog is calling this bulletin board material... Mitch McGary feels slighted... seriously.

I'm liking this not because I think you are an idiot, but because that was the exact thing that went through my head.
I'm liking this... Because we're both idiots. High five!

Like Bilas always says about JB,he flips the script on you. Why watch them play offense against a defense that won't be used in the game.
This.

What exactly would we watch? If we know who the shooters are that's all that matters. They have to prepare for our D rather than us preparing for their O.

I always thought watching film was overrated, coaches can watch 100 hours on Michigan if they want, but unless the players are with them for every second, what does it matter? Do you think when someone is on Trey Burke they'll think "ok, there's a 40% chance he'll go left"

I feel like as long as you know the shooters and which players are righty/lefty, the rest doesn't matter.

I seriously doubt that JB forbids the players from watching tape in advance but keeping it a low, game day priority really coincides with Boeheim's philosophy. I mean, he coaches and teaches his style and that's what the players practice and learn. The subtle changes that the coaches and players make mid-game are in response to what's going on at that time, not based on what Michigan (or any team) did against Florida, Indiana, Kansas, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom