Are we really still a football school that plays bball? | Syracusefan.com

Are we really still a football school that plays bball?

44PRIDE

All Conference
I've always considered myself a fan of SU Football above all else. Every time someone calls us a BBall school, I quote our proud history, number of HOFers, and our National Championship. If I had to choose one team to follow, it was always the football team...above all else.

But even hardcore football fans have their limits. And I think I'm starting to reach mine.

HCSS was given a functional program. But he's guided us t0 3 "Gumpesque" (credit to whoever coined this term) blowout losses that were equal part disfunction and confusion. For the first time since Gump, I'm sitting here in October longing for the start of Hoops...and that scares me.

Something is different with this team...specifically (but not limited to) the coaching staff. I am seeing "flashes" of ineptitude that take me back to the dark ages. I see emotion being used to cover confusion. I see a staff that can't gameplan or make in-game adjustments. I see a coach that didn't learn from our past.

One of the biggest errors Gump made was to abandon our natural Northeast recruiting grounds. Marrone did well to re-establish these connections. Now I see a coach that abandoned all the recruiting gains made by his former boss.

This game against WF is huge. If after 7 games (and a bye week) this staff cannot execute a functional gameplan with this team, I think they will have lost me.

I just can't go through another rebuild. I don't have it in me.

Very well said. I've fought the "Syracuse is only a Basketball" school argument but it's getting hard to argue even for the long time hold outs. It's been rough to say the least for many years now. HCDM brought some respect back to the school and went to 2 bowl games which provided some hope for the future. His leaving was a punch in the gut for many I know. The school will survive and Cuse football will be good again. When, I have no idea.

Very well said. I've fought the "Syracuse is only a Basketball" school argument but it's getting hard to argue even for the long time hold outs. It's been rough to say the least for many years now. HCDM brought some respect back to the school and went to 2 bowl games which provided some hope for the future. His leaving was a punch in the gut for many I know. The school will survive and Cuse football will be good again. When, I have no idea.
Being labeled as a one sport school by us or anyone else is ridiculous.We have a decent fan base in three sports including ,of course lacrosse and historic success in all three of thes athletic programs.Why put a label on something thats irrelevant?:crazy:

I've always considered myself a fan of SU Football above all else. Every time someone calls us a BBall school, I quote our proud history, number of HOFers, and our National Championship. If I had to choose one team to follow, it was always the football team...above all else.

But even hardcore football fans have their limits. And I think I'm starting to reach mine.

HCSS was given a functional program. But he's guided us t0 3 "Gumpesque" (credit to whoever coined this term) blowout losses that were equal part disfunction and confusion. For the first time since Gump, I'm sitting here in October longing for the start of Hoops...and that scares me.

Something is different with this team...specifically (but not limited to) the coaching staff. I am seeing "flashes" of ineptitude that take me back to the dark ages. I see emotion being used to cover confusion. I see a staff that can't gameplan or make in-game adjustments. I see a coach that didn't learn from our past.

One of the biggest errors Gump made was to abandon our natural Northeast recruiting grounds. Marrone did well to re-establish these connections. Now I see a coach that abandoned all the recruiting gains made by his former boss.

This game against WF is huge. If after 7 games (and a bye week) this staff cannot execute a functional gameplan with this team, I think they will have lost me.

I know there was a revisionist history narrative with the current Bills coach, but Robinson got his fair share of kids north of Westchester and in NJ.

In the 1950's and 1960's we were clearly a football school. Basketball was an afterthought.

In the 1970's we were known as a football school, but our basketball was actually better at least for the second half of the 1970's.

In the 1990's we were both.

Since then it's pretty obvious that what we ought to be known for is basketball.

We're a lacrosse power that has become so in basketball as well. Football, unfortunately, is mired in mediocrity at the moment. As with the OP, SU football is/was my first love but I find myself looking forward to basketball season way too early each year.

I will remain forever optimistic with football though and if/when we finally get back to a perennial top 25 team I will enjoy it that much more. I realize now how spoiled we were in the 90s and as a youth had no idea it wouldn't always be that way.

In the 1990's we were both.

Since then it's pretty obvious that what we ought to be known for is basketball.

How is this even a debate? We are nationally relevant in basketball; we are second only to Kentucky in attendance. The community shows up for basketball.

Eastern football has been in decline for more than a decade. Football isn't a passion for Upstate fans as it is in other parts of the country.

Now about this season: at 3-4 heading into November, we aren't far off where many predicted. The bad losses were depressingly bad. But this can change with improved QB and secondary play. The heart of the season is always November.

This summarizes my thoughts and my friends who in some cases just recently starting coming back to the games.
we have taken several steps back to unwatchable football again..maybe we will in time take three steps forward but it is real hard with what we have gone through to go through this again.
I feel like the recruiting territory part is on SU admin not doing due diligence in interviewing candidates for the job...Scott Shafer hired his guys and they have contacts in the Midwest so that is where they recruit