Army Attendance | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Army Attendance

I find it interesting that people are ignoring the Utica/Rome area and instead jumping to Albany. Utica is obviously a smaller market, but I think attracting people from there is much more realistic. Being within a 1.5 hr drive is the sweet spot to market. Just circle a radius of area within 1.5 hrs away from Cuse and focus on that. Watertown to the north, Rochester to the west, Utica to the east, and Binghamton to the south. Anything beyond that seems like a waste of resources.
Utica Metro area is 300,000. Granted it's about half the Syracuse Metro area, but there is little to no advertising in a decent sized population center just 45 mins away. Thats 300,000 people with nothing to do on a Saturday.

In 1987, the first 2 home games averaged about 35K. Then PSU came to town and there was 50K. SU won that one and the rest of the season attendance averaged 49K. Let's see what happens with Army and then Clemson. Cuse has been lackluster for over 2 decades, it is going to take some big wins. Clemson would be a good start. That's how they will get people from Utica and Albany. The non-diehards do not want to drive 1-3 hours for a probable loss. Even as a diehard, I know first hand, the long drive home after a loss sucks... even worse when I don't get home till 1 AM. It's about the wins.

In 1987, the first 2 home games averaged about 35K. Then PSU came to town and there was 50K. SU won that one and the rest of the season attendance averaged 49K. Let's see what happens with Army and then Clemson. Cuse has been lackluster for over 2 decades, it is going to take some big wins. Clemson would be a good start. That's how they will get people from Utica and Albany. The non-diehards do not want to drive 1-3 hours for a probable loss. Even as a diehard, I know first hand, the long drive home after a loss sucks... even worse when I don't get home till 1 AM. It's about the wins.
Try doing a road tailgate and driving home after a loss

Yes that was me crying in the Love's parking lot

It’s just irritating that upstate NY fans, whether that be CNY, WNY, or Capital Region, can’t be bothered unless the team is ranked and/ or undefeated. And then when they do show up these casuals are walking up and down the aisle the entire game and stand in the aisle during plays.

I know we want it loud but these are the people we are coveting.
2003 regional finals for hoops in Albany was absolutely epic but i think those were mostly people from CNY.

I think we used to get a decent football crowd from Rochester, Utica, and the north country, but now I assume it’s mostly locals. I’m surprised more people from the north country don’t come down. Unless there is a Canadians game i don’t know what they’re doing?

I too liked the New York’s college team era. Many people assumed it to mean NYC, but at least we were trying something and it stuck. Again, winning big consistently is the only thing that can turn this around. I just don’t see a young kid picking Cuse as their favorite team unless they are some how associated to the University.

One other pet peeve of mine is people who wear basketball jerseys to a football game. It’s a football game. Can you imagine going to a hoops game and wearing a football jersey? At least these people go to the game but I don’t get why people do this? It just makes us look amateurish .

One other pet peeve of mine is people who wear basketball jerseys to a football game. It’s a football game. Can you imagine going to a hoops game and wearing a football jersey? At least these people go to the game but I don’t get why people do this? It just makes us look amateurish .
To me, SU gear is SU gear. And this time of year somebody might wear a basketball jersey because it’s weather-appropriate.
And people like me like to wear a BB jersey to show off the guns.

People going Gaga over this but the teams we played in the Dome people won’t get excited to go see plus if is nice outside people don’t want to be in a dome four four to five hours on a Saturday. Bring in a Northwestern or a Rutgirls you would have upper thirties to early 40’s this schedule is brutal this year and we won’t be playing Pittsburgh in the dome? Idk

Embrace the basketball school identity! Also, how many will be wearing the “marathon men” shirt from the UConn game from over ten years ago? I love our fans and wear whatever you want! GO ORANGE!

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 53
To me, SU gear is SU gear. And this time of year somebody might wear a basketball jersey because it’s weather-appropriate.
And people like me like to wear a BB jersey to show off the guns.
Agree. I can't get too worked up as long as people are wearing SU gear. That complaint is a bit too CNYian for me.

Rule of thumb / generalization for me has always been:

-- Albany, doesn't care about SU. More focused on NYC / Boston pro teams.

-- Buffalo, doesn't care about SU. More focused on their own pro teams.

-- Southern Tier, east of Elmira, doesn't care about SU, seem to be more Pittsburgh oriented.

-- Rochester, strong SU presence.

Of course, that's a generalization. I get that there are pockets of fans / outliers everywhere. But that seems to be the breakdown that I've observed.
Southern tier is Penn State (yuck) and Notre dame country. Pittsburg is no where close. SU is definitely more supported than Pitt.

They easily have the budget to spend 3-5k per home game week to run targeted ads in a 10-25 mile radius of the dome to entice people to come. They would easily make a 3-5x return on that. Heck offer a special that’s only available through the ad link. It’s just lazy marketing that they aren’t utilizing that.

Crowd was decent, student section was packed. I’m not the best at guessing numbers but I think maybe 36k butts in seats?

Only gripe was the poor traffic flow management on the hill leading up to Crouse garage

That was standstill traffic for 25 minutes to turn from Adams St exit to the Crouse garage a block and a half away.

One traffic control officer who really didn't seem to care about keeping things flowing.

Other than that, they kept the kids moving when they came in and tried to keep the corridors flowing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom