Army Game... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game...

A fitting end as Porter launches tehball to run the clock. Great game, horrible start on Offense. The defense carried the Orange in the first half. SU down 5-2 at the half. SU wins the second half, 7-2, for a final score of 9-7.

Desko called the game in his interview, he stated that Army never gives up and plays tought, SU would have to roll up their sleeves.

My take is that SU players are very high level talentwise and are not used to a team simply playing tight and physical. Any old Big East hoops fan will tell you that physical play can neutralize talent if they don't "fight" back. Apparently, Desko had a little "chat" with the team letting them know to toughen up. They responded and beat Army the only way to do so, play as physical as Army and use your talent to win.

My failure to explain my early posts, when I stated Army was pressing SU out at 30+ yards, I failed to explain that Army is simply playing odds, that is, SU will not score often from 30+ yards out, as will no one else. By keeping SU from shooting closer, Army reduced the shots on goal, and longer shots are easier to defend. In short, Army played the a great game, had a great game plan and almost pulled it off. Credit Army and their coach for the excellent game plan and execution.

Credit SU D for standing strong. This Army team is a legit top 10 team and can take down anyone. Yes, they overlooked Marist by focusing in on SU, but the lesson every Army opponent should keep in mind is that they will never give in, never give up, are well disciplined and well coached. Teams will have to beat them physically and then with talent.

That said, Fernandez stepped up a lot. Porter was unbelievable. The defense as a whole was great.

The offense, was very poor in the first half. The second half, shows why this SU team is a great team. The team adjusted, played physical-Army's game, and then beat Army with talent and aggressive attacking. Army kept Scanlon silent but in doing so, allowed other talent to play one-on-one and beat the D with talent. Trimboli is off the charts. I have enjoyed Trimboli the last few years but I am now a a JeremyCuse convert to Trimbioli as first Team AA.

All the Army respect is coming from an old Air Force sergeant. Grudging respect, albeit, but respect, nonetheless.

Strong comeback after a miserable first half. I think the team grew up a bit today.
Agreed. This team should be a factor on Memorial Day Weekend. They needed a gut check win and this qualifies as one. No other team will play as physical as Army, though we will face higher levels of talent. One down, one to go. SU is only good enough to play one game at a time.

Lots to work on for sure but hope the players enjoy it. Some guys look absolutely beat (I don’t blame them), and it’s a quick turnaround to a dangerous Hobart team.

Can’t say enough good things about Porter, Trimboli and Phaup. Game would not have been close without those three. Loved seeing Porter’s reaction when the horn sounded, you could tell he was amped.

1st line midfield decided to play like 3 1st and 2 team AAs. When those guys turn it on were gonna be a nightmare to beat

yep if they play like that teams have nightmare matchup problems. Pick your poison and even then tough to stop Trimboli. Love the look of this team. Upcoming games will tell you a lot but if you dominate the face, have super talented mid and clutch goaltender you have a great chance to compete for a title. Need to cut down on bad turnovers but great gut check win.

Cuse

I see a lot of talent on SU’s offense but not much cohesion. Tend to think we scored a bunch of goals last two games because we had way more talent.
I agree with your overall point, but I credit Army with their pressure defense, even beyond 30 yards. Army dared every Orange player to make the game their own and never opened clean passing lanes by laying tight on the Offense. It is hard on a defense to play that far out and that close, they can never afford to get beat.

Credit Desko and crew for making the adjustment and the offense for responding with a physically aggressive attack in the second half.

Back to your overall point, SU cannot rely on their talent alone. There is too much talent in College lax now for one school to simply overmatch all opponents with talent, and it seems as if SU is playing almost every talented player on this schedule.

yep if they play like that teams have nightmare matchup problems. Pick your poison and even then tough to stop Trimboli. Love the look of this team. Upcoming games will tell you a lot but if you dominate the face, have super talented mid and clutch goaltender you have a great chance to compete for a title. Need to cut down on bad turnovers but great gut check win.

Cuse

Turnovers and attack play need work but if we can get both on track, sky is the limit. Tough game Friday but one where Rehfuss has had a ton of success. I expect a monster comeback performance by the entire attack unit

Great win. Friday fireworks coming up. And then the main course

We started to play better after you changed seats. :D

My bad. I thought the two guys in front of me were the same two guys from the 1st half. I didn't realize they were different guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom