Army Game... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game...

Making a fuss about one game where Scanlan has no points is silly, especially when you watch what we were doing on offense and how Army responded. I also really do not agree with making a fuss about his effort. That is a pretty serious accusation and I think it should only be reserved for glaring things that a player does. Scanlan certainly didn't do anything obvious in the Army game, although I did notice him get a little frustrated at times that middies elected to shoot (and almost always miss) instead of making one more pass to Scanlan who often also had an open look. However that is something that you see all the time, and he has a right to be frustrated in those situations. Cook did something similar when Dami didn't see him wide open during a fast break.

Same goes for his riding. Often rides involve the attack who is actually close to the ball carrier (or middie forced to get back on defense) sprinting like crazy while the other guys jog since they don't have a chance to make a play. Not once did I see Scanlan as the only guy in position to stop a clear and still hold back or jog. Again there would really have to be a super obvious example before I began to even remotely question his effort on rides.

Your comments call for some challenge. Calling out Scanlan at attack given the lack of productivity across the board and Helmer as one of the best LSMs - curious...maybe you saw 48 not 88
challenge is always a good thing

Making a fuss about one game where Scanlan has no points is silly, especially when you watch what we were doing on offense and how Army responded. I also really do not agree with making a fuss about his effort. That is a pretty serious accusation and I think it should only be reserved for glaring things that a player does. Scanlan certainly didn't do anything obvious in the Army game, although I did notice him get a little frustrated at times that middies elected to shoot (and almost always miss) instead of making one more pass to Scanlan who often also had an open look. However that is something that you see all the time, and he has a right to be frustrated in those situations. Cook did something similar when Dami didn't see him wide open during a fast break.

Same goes for his riding. Often rides involve the attack who is actually close to the ball carrier (or middie forced to get back on defense) sprinting like crazy while the other guys jog since they don't have a chance to make a play. Not once did I see Scanlan as the only guy in position to stop a clear and still hold back or jog. Again there would really have to be a super obvious example before I began to even remotely question his effort on rides.
everyone is open to criticism, even me

Scanlan is a big boy. He does not need justification for lazy play.

everyone is open to criticism, even me

I agree with everything you said about the army game except the comment on Scanlan and rides/effort. From my perspective just didn't see anything concrete to suggest a lack of effort is the issue. If there seems to be a trend of him not getting involved in rides or not demanding the ball when he draws a short stick then I would revisit this, but I got no feelings of slacking in the first two games either. I really don't think we are looking at a trend that is worthy of calling out yet.

Watch the game again. Scanlan was often wide open in perfect shooting spots and his teammates failed to pass him the ball. He’s not an elite dodger and has never purported to be. He’s an elite off-ball player who has repeatedly been ignored by his teammates. Dordevic looked him off several times in the Binghamton game. They all did it yesterday when he was wide open.

Lets be real. Game plan was gone over pre game to exploit d of a particular opponent. Nothing more

Kids have egos. I wouldnt expect or even want him to be happy being a decoy but also wouldnt expect him to complain as larger sacrifices for team have been made by some keys. Wearing #22 compounds because of heightened expectations, being out of flow while offense struggles would frustrate me if im a talented scorer under the spotlight. Thankfully team pulled it out or this forum would have been the ones complaining abour coaching tact. Im sure Scanlan is happy team won. He's been a good teammate to date, unselfish, hasnt force and passes well. No story here

Watch the game again. Scanlan was often wide open in perfect shooting spots and his teammates failed to pass him the ball. He’s not an elite dodger and has never purported to be. He’s an elite off-ball player who has repeatedly been ignored by his teammates. Dordevic looked him off several times in the Binghamton game. They all did it yesterday when he was wide open.
are you sure that Dordevic actually saw Chase? or is that just your interpretation of what you saw on a computer screen? Even if his head is turned that way there's no way to know what he is seeing. Chase's teammates didn't ignore him in the first 2 games, why now? Army knows that Chase is the Orange's best finisher and they saw him twice last year in the Patriot league. Dami missed a wide open Cook on a break away, it happens.

A couple things I liked from the IL game article:

At halftime, Syracuse coaches stressed not to shoot early in possessions. With Schupler dropping low on so many shots, Syracuse needed to aim high. And If Army wanted to press its defenders on Syracuse’s offense, they must be forced to leave the middle of the defense open.

Rather than opting for one-man-in-the crease offenses, Syracuse switched to open sets, which with limited slides, created isolation situations for the Orange midfielders. On other possessions, Syracuse jammed two men in the crease and capitalized on Army hedges like on Trimboli’s first goal of the second half.

Yes, Virginia (pardon the pun), Syracuse DOES make halftime adjustments. ;)

It wasn’t that Syracuse’s offense couldn’t score on Army. It just needed to find new ways. That task fell on Syracuse offensive coordinator Pat March. The first-year coach passed, and so did Syracuse in its first true test of 2020.

“Coach March is kind of a wizard,” Curry said. “So he was drawing up everything, making adjustments at every quarter, every huddle. So we benefited from that.”

I think we may have made a good hire with March. :)

A lot of good point here. I know other disagree, but I thought Scanlan looked lost or ineffective when he had the ball and out of place other times,,.hoping it was game plan and/or off game

are you sure that Dordevic actually saw Chase? or is that just your interpretation of what you saw on a computer screen? Even if his head is turned that way there's no way to know what he is seeing. Chase's teammates didn't ignore him in the first 2 games, why now? Army knows that Chase is the Orange's best finisher and they saw him twice last year in the Patriot league. Dami missed a wide open Cook on a break away, it happens.
Also, I think Dordevic is still getting into a rhythm on offense. The Death Star is not yet fully operational.

Also, I think Dordevic is still getting into a rhythm on offense. The Death Star is not yet fully operational.

He is getting separation and drawing slides effortlessly this year. He just seems to be psyching himself out with his shooting. Contrary to what some seem to believe, I really don't think he was that bad of a shooter as a freshman. He shot 26 percent which is really not that terrible. Seemed to have some issues with telegraphing his shot location at times but he seemed to make up for it with the speed and quick release of his shots. Scored pretty well with his left hand too. Believe he was 100% on long range underhand onehanded shots as well! Looked great shooting in the denver scrimmage and in some of the clips that came out from the fall scrimmages. You know it his something he has worked hard on during his time off. Just seems like he is anxious and tentative when it comes time to capitalize this year. Geesh I do not want to look at what his current shooting percentage is. He will at the very least be a guaranteed threat whenever we decide to invert him this season. Have a feeling he will look to pass more once he regains confidence in his shooting as well.

looked at him, pass faked and went somewhere else with it

I guess your point is that the poor guy was frustrated and therefore free to act on that frustration. After the age of three most people learn that an emotion is no justification for bad behavior.

I guess your point is that the poor guy was frustrated and therefore free to act on that frustration. After the age of three most people learn that an emotion is no justification for bad behavior.

I don’t follow. Did Scanlan do something juvenile at some point?

When it is, our will opponents will be doomed! All hail Dearth Vader!

Dordevic will come around. I think he’ll rack up a few points against Hobart.

I saw him wide open a minimum of 3 times...However I didn't know the Game plan at that time regardless...

Watching the game on youtube:

Murphy gets to a loose ball in the D box off the face off and gets the ball to Porter. Winning possessions like this is an important thing for Murphy's value to the team. Someone needs to pick up the slack left by Bomberry.

On the first O possession Curry inverts and creates a great look for Dordevic who seemingly hits the goalie. It's a little hard to see if the goalie actually had to move to make the save.

On the first D possession Army is dodging on Oladunmoye, but Dami hangs pretty tough. It's good to have him back, and he really helps the depth of the SSDM group.

On the 2nd O possession Rehfuss' defender presses out and causes a turnover. Rehfuss needs to make defenders pay for pressing out. He had just dodged to 5x5, but didn't threaten a move to the cage and didn't find an open player, because nobody slid, because they didn't respect him as a threat to the goal. He needs to show he's a threat to score. He then commits a pushing foul.

On the 2nd D possession, DiPietro slides to Nichtern, even though Kennedy is doing alright, but it looked like Dipietro might be trying to time his slide so Nichtern doesn't see him coming and cause a turnover. Nichtern passes to Dipietro's guy who is now at X. Murphy is the closest guy to slide to the ball carrier at X, but his guy on the crease would be wide open for a goal, so he waits for DiPietro to get back to the crease before he slides to the ball carrier. Murphy makes a good approach and drives the ball carrier away from the goal. Everyone is playing with their head on a swivel and they look like they are communicating. SU has Quinn stuck on defense and Army dodges on him, draws a slide and finds a step down shooter and hits the post and Fernandez wins a 1v1 battle at the sideline to usher the ball out of bounds. SU played good defense for a while, but was a little lucky to get out of the possession without being scored on. Having Quinn stuck on D doesn't help. I am encouraged by the amount of communication among all the players, including Aviles, who was on D for that possession.

Watching the game on youtube:

Murphy gets to a loose ball in the D box off the face off and gets the ball to Porter. Winning possessions like this is an important thing for Murphy's value to the team. Someone needs to pick up the slack left by Bomberry.

On the first O possession Curry inverts and creates a great look for Dordevic who seemingly hits the goalie. It's a little hard to see if the goalie actually had to move to make the save.

On the first D possession Army is dodging on Oladunmoye, but Dami hangs pretty tough. It's good to have him back, and he really helps the depth of the SSDM group.

On the 2nd O possession Rehfuss' defender presses out and causes a turnover. Rehfuss needs to make defenders pay for pressing out. He had just dodged to 5x5, but didn't threaten a move to the cage and didn't find an open player, because nobody slid, because they didn't respect him as a threat to the goal. He needs to show he's a threat to score. He then commits a pushing foul.

On the 2nd D possession, DiPietro slides to Nichtern, even though Kennedy is doing alright, but it looked like Dipietro might be trying to time his slide so Nichtern doesn't see him coming and cause a turnover. Nichtern passes to Dipietro's guy who is now at X. Murphy is the closest guy to slide to the ball carrier at X, but his guy on the crease would be wide open for a goal, so he waits for DiPietro to get back to the crease before he slides to the ball carrier. Murphy makes a good approach and drives the ball carrier away from the goal. Everyone is playing with their head on a swivel and they look like they are communicating. SU has Quinn stuck on defense and Army dodges on him, draws a slide and finds a step down shooter and hits the post and Fernandez wins a 1v1 battle at the sideline to usher the ball out of bounds. SU played good defense for a while, but was a little lucky to get out of the possession without being scored on. Having Quinn stuck on D doesn't help. I am encouraged by the amount of communication among all the players, including Aviles, who was on D for that possession.

That first shot by Dordevic was actually blocked by a defenders stick. You can see the ball land off it well in front of the crease. Pretty lucky break for Army there

That first shot by Dordevic was actually blocked by a defenders stick. You can see the ball land off it well in front of the crease. Pretty lucky break for Army there
Thanks! For some reason my eyes have a hard time tracking the ball and seeing where it deflects. Dordevic looked to be forcing some things after that.

Thanks! For some reason my eyes have a hard time tracking the ball and seeing where it deflects. Dordevic looked to be forcing some things after that.

Yea he had a couple awful shots after that in the first half. One hit a defender that was clearly in the way of the goal. Then he had a low angle lefty shot after he had clearly lost his opportunity to shoot that the goalie saved easily.

CuselaxbpA0oenQmdkd.gif

Should we be concerned about the lack of production of Chase Scanlon? Fair or not I don't recall many games where a 22 didn't get a point in a game?
you crazy ? wasn't his time. he's proven himself plenty. that said i heard something late about a point streak and saw chase shoot a cheap shot late when the honorable thing to do was run out the clock. any player any sport who gets himself caught up in the numbers game has become a detriment to the team . the W is what matters most and goal or no goal chase scanlon was a big part of that. keep your eyes on the prize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom