As a player at any level what was the highlight of your playing career | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

As a player at any level what was the highlight of your playing career

Basketball - hitting 8 threes in 2 different games my senior year playing at Nottingham Hs ...

Golf- Being the only junior golfer ever to win syracuse district junior player of the year 3 times and boys player of year twice.
The first junior golfer ever to make the State high school championship 5 times (8th grade through 12th). Qualifying for the post standard Am at age 12 was pretty fun too. Shot 61 at Drumlins at age 17 is up there too...
Becoming a Division I All American at Binghamton University. Broke the scoring record twice and soon to be inducted into Hall of Fame this year ...
Having my name on every Syracuse District golf association player of year or tournament trophy as an amateur

I really miss golfing without having a job. THATS the moral of this post. Getting older sucks !

I scored 34 points in a JV game, and had the game clinching steal. Averaged exactly 18.5 points per game that year, then went up to varsity and sat on the bench for two years :(

How about a LOWLIGHT thread?
...have stuff for that :confused:

I partied a bit too much the night before a fall season baseball game at Univ of Maryland and puked my guts out in the bullpen for 9 innings. Fortunately I had pitched the day before and could go to the bullpen to hide from my coach. Pitching coach was a good guy and thought it was funny so didn’t blow my cover.

Dunking in a pick up game on a slightly bent rim.

At 5'10" I could jump pretty well, getting rim near the bottom of my hand, but couldn't palm a ball well enough to get it over the front of the rim. There was a hoop outside my high school that was a little bent from kids hanging on it. One day I was playing with a group of friends, some good some not. We were using one of those cheap rubber balls that was super sticky when brand new. A friend that knew nothing about basketball happened to be standing at the perfect spot on the free throw line for me to use as a pick. So I turned the corner with a wide open lane for a layup. In mid air I realized I was high enough to dunk and threw it down fairly hard.

Organized sports: I took first place in the long jump twice my sophomore year of high school. Our best athlete had just sprained his knee triple jumping and was out for the rest of the season. I never felt bad finishing second to him. He broke the school record our senior year.

Last edited:
My only worthy highlights were in football. Basketball was my 3rd sport and I stopped playing after 8th grade, but my favorite personal highlight was in a Modified game against Whitesboro my 8th grade year. Playing with the 2nd teamers (for those who don't know, starters and backups alternate quarters in Modified), the Whitesboro PG was on a solo fastbreak ahead of the pack. I, the opposing PG and probably shortest on the court, chased him down and swatted the hell out of his layup right at the halftime buzzer. Good feeling.

My best statistical game was also 8th grade year. I had like 6 or 8 points on maybe 3-5 shooting, probably 4 or 5 turnovers and an assist if I was lucky.

Somehow ended up President of HS Varsity Club-
Had to dress up and make presentation to school board for a trip to NIT at MSG. Successfully navigated lots of cross-examination and serious discussion of expectations regarding behavior to get the trip approved.
Arrived at hotel day prior. A roommate opened his suitcase to reveal it was full of Buds -nothing else.
He spent several hours pounding Buds and eating popcorn, then suddenly turned into a popcorn-popper.
We cleaned up as best we could, and put him in the tub to prevent further eruptions creating another mess.
Coaches and "cool parents" were chaperones -one came in for an "open casket viewing" of my passed out teammate. He slowly shook his head, then walked out. That was it.
That was only the beginning -trip was like a jailbreak/Animal House event. Couldn't believe it. Chaperones were taking guys to 42nd Street, players/cheerleaders "shared rooms", heavy drinking, etc.
Guys were coming in the entire night with play-by-play, as both members and chaperones partied hard.
Spent the night freaking over their reports, and as the face of this debacle having to answer for it!
Wasn't a Choir Boy, but wow did that trip spiral out of control. Fortunately, survived with rep intact.
And managed to enjoy watching Cornbread Maxwell and UNCC!

Baseball: Pitching complete games in consecutive starts 5 days apart (1 hitter and 3 hitter against #4 and #2 teams in NYS, class AA).

Basketball: (Not in a game, but on a 10' high school gym hoop) I could stand at the FT line with my back to the basket, bounce the ball between my legs off the ground and off the backboard, turn around and take two quick steps and jump and catch the ball off the backboard and dunk two handed. I saw David Lee do it in a slam dunk contest and did it during practice after that.
The Kenny Smith dunk! Fast-forward to about the 2:25 mark of this 1990 NBA Slam Dunk Contest video. You had some serious ups!!

High school away game in PA. Down 2 with about 7 seconds left in the game, inbounding under the basket full court to go, they set up defensively in a press. I played Point Guard in high school (a 6’4 match up nightmare... or least I should have been at my height ;) ). Inbounded the ball to a buddy in the left corner, they tried to double team him immediately, I stepped inbounds after the pass and got the ball on a return pass with momentum heading towards the basket. I ended up dribbling up court angling towards the right sideline with a defender on my left hip. I got to a step above the 3 point line on the right wing... took a 1 foot fade-away falling out of bounds. Hit the the game winning 3 with no time left! Our fans (very few that there were on a road trip) rushed the court, it was great. The funny thing is, the thing I remember most isn’t the shot itself... it’s that I could not wipe a goofy smile off my face! Even as we lined up to shake hands I was just smiling like a moron and could not change it. It was like my body could not process the feeling I had after doing that. It was a great experience/memory!

The Kenny Smith dunk! Fast-forward to about the 2:25 mark of this 1990 NBA Slam Dunk Contest video. You had some serious ups!!

That's the one! Although mine wasn't a 180, just straight in.

Maybe not the highlight of my playing career, but a very memorable game. I happened to be a very good pitcher in Little League. Age 12 - after the conclusion of our regular season, we're playing a district game against a team from another LL. I'm on the mound that day. Important fact - I walked maybe 8-10 kids all season, and averaged over 2 strikeouts per inning pitched. I also pitched the max innings allowable at the time (no pitch count, as this was 1994). Well, this day would be very different...

From the very 1st pitch, (an obvious strike at every level) - fastball right down the middle, belt high, ump (20 year old kid) says "ball." The fix was in, but thankfully the players were not in on it as they actually swung the bat that day.

I proceed to walk 10 or 12 guys that day, and strike out a dozen, over the course of 7 innings (went extras). I also went 4-4 and drove in 3 or 4 runs and we somehow won the game. I want to say the final was 7-4. I'm 99% convinced this is the game that ruined my arm. Based on the number of walks & strikeouts I had, the number of pitches I threw had to be in the neighborhood of 140.

My favorite part of the game (besides winning & beating some shoddy coach & umpire) were all of my teammates parents getting on the umpire's case. One of the parents even offered to meet the umpire out in the parking lot after the game. That didn't happen, but we had the last laugh.

Last edited:

I saw Kenny do this dunk live and in person at Golden Valley sports camp...so impressive.

Going back 60 years to my Pop Warner football days. I think today it’s called Pee Wee fb. Anyway…

My first game, I scored three times. WOW! I was on my way to becoming a legend in the sport. And then it happened. The season was canceled because both coaches were caught betting on the game.

My lowlight
Adult rec league basketball

I wasn’t the best player by any stretch so I didn’t play a whole lot. One game I finally got in with a few minutes left. I had my headband on, I was ready for some action.

I got the ball on a corner 3. Everyone on the bench was cheering me on. I was so excited.

I looked at the basket and had no defender anywhere around me. This was going to be my time to shine.

I put the ball in motion going through my shot mechanics. Slightly bent my knees pulled the ball upwards and sprung into the air. It was perfect.

Then all the sudden like slow motion. I seen this huge dark cloud start to flow towards me. It came from the paint.

Just as I let go of the ball this dark cloud also known as the other teams Center, came flying through the air like Hakim Warrick on a trampoline, and swatted my 3pt shot into the crowd.

I was completely dumbfounded. I was wide open and this guy horse raced to me and jacked my pride and dignity into the crowd.

That was about 20yrs ago and my brother who was also on my team never lets me forget about it.

football - making first team all conference on offense and second on defense. then making the all state team.

basketball - had a 24 and 12 game in JV as a 4 and like two double doubles on varsity.

crew - winning our regional title and winning my heat at the only erg pull i ever competed in

Had a nice white guy dunk on my high school senior night. Scored 44 in a summer league game that year against Clinton. Almost had a quadruple double (was a steal short) against Herkimer and they lost the damn film.

Career high of 10 with a couple threes in a bench warming JUCO career.

Game sealing INT on homecoming senior year is a nice memory.

Had a sweet diving grab against Marcellus in sectionals to save my buddy who went on to play at Siena’s no-hitter.

The memory that sticks out the most is losing to Westhill by a run in the section title game on a strike em out-throw em our double play. Still haunts me lol

Best moment: In Babe Ruth league, we were down a few runs into the ninth. I was always a look for a good pitch to hit guy and never afraid to take a walk. I also knew the rules inside and out. I took a walk and while everyone on the D was going through the motions, sprinted to first and then took 2nd. The opposing team stood dumbfounded and then the coach went nuts when the ump ruled me safe. We ended up losing, but I scored, and the only reason it sticks with me for so long afterwards was just the fact that I was one of the few who knew the rules about a dead ball.

Worst: I was in Jr. High basketball and was inexplicably playing PG on one possession. I dribbled up and as I crossed half court, the defense parted like the Red Sea leaving a wide open lane to the basket. So I drove for the easy layup and ... completely bricked it. I never played point again.

My last football game as a senior in high school I rushed for 255 yards with three touchdowns and 10 or 12 tackles to beat the best team in our league.

In college, I led our team in rushing (okay it was only 60 yards!) as fullback on a day we upset the #2 ranked team in the country. I had one run of like 12 yards that would have gone for 60 if the safety hadn't barely tripped me up by a toe. I swear it was the fastest I have ever moved on this earth!

In HS at Liverpool, Chuck Giscombe annihilated one of my shots after I pump faked what I thought was his entire team into the air. I did; he just stayed up longer than the rest. That he later a) jumped OVER a kid
on a drive (in game, not one of these dunk contest setups), and b) rejected Rony Seikaly during an SU-Canisius
matchup, I consider myself in good company.

Kev

i have 2:
1. i ended 2 consecutive rec league seasons by making half court buzzer beaters.

2. also, while very drunk i made a full half court shot as a high school junior at half -time of a varsity basketball game (for a free pizza certificate)...it was actually my second try. the first shot hit the rim like 3 times bounced up and came down but not in...agonizing...so i got another try...and this time the same thing...the ball bounced around a few times...but went in! i was so hyped i went over to the student section and went apeshit..and everyone was cheering...then i looked around and the game was waiting for me to sit down so they could start the second half haha..good times (extra fun fact: we had a really good team...state semifinals in virginia that year with several D1 players)

Never played basketball at any level. Just played pick up and was not good. Would have loved to play in high school, as it was my favourite sport to play, but as I said was not that good. We also had a really good basketball tradition at our school considering we were from small town eastern Ontario.

Never played hockey at the highest levels, just against other small towns, but that was probably my best sport Had 5 goal games in each of Novice, Atom, and Bantam (is that what they still call them). In Midget I scored 3 goals in one shift -- never checked how many seconds it was. But by Midget (16-17 years old) I had become just an average player on our town team, and that was about that for my hockey career!

For some reason coaches kept pitching me from the age of about 10-15. I may have been the worst pitcher in the history of little league baseball. I had to average at least two walks an inning, and probably hit a batter every two or three innings.

So our team was playing a game in Nawlins. It was a Big game...bragging rights kind of thing. We were the dog but we were spunky. Anyway, were up 81-78 and their sharpshooter is dead-eyeing a three to tie (not sure we could’ve held on in extra period). I generally manned the 4-spot on the wing (we played zone at the time). Coach called a timeout right before the play in question and puts me at the 5 (in the middle)! Anyway their guy catches it and our wing is nowhere to be found so I sprint and launch my body at him on the wing. Somehow
I get one finger on it and swat it away. They get one last desperation heave that’s way off and we win the game! Nuff said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom