As if two winless conference teams isn't hard enough... | Syracusefan.com

As if two winless conference teams isn't hard enough...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
The National Weather Service has now issued a Lake Effect storm warning from 7 p.m Tuesday through 7 p.m. Wednesday. 12-18" of snow predicted, which includes Syracuse metro. Some how, I imagine, the diehards will still find a way to Wednesday night's contest. :)

Hey, if I could make it to that Duke game last year, I can make anything. BUT - I live 3 miles from the Dome and can park 1 mile away and then hoof it. I have it easy. I am not sure how others can get there, and it could be dangerous. But the night of that Duke game, it was HORRIFIC and yet we had great attendance. It made me proud to be ORANGE!

The forecast doesn't appear too bad for the evening and then later on at night. I drove up from Northern PA last Tuesday for the Clemson game and was considering coming up Wednesday night. If the forecast holds steady I might make the ride up 81. Otherwise, my next game will likely be GTECH...

Last edited:
I don't think the snow will be too bad below the northern part of the county, but between the circumstances and the weather threat, we could see the smallest Dome crowd of the century. We're due for a win; I'll be there.

I don't think the snow will be too bad below the northern part of the county, but between the circumstances and the weather threat, we could see the smallest Dome crowd of the century. We're due for a win; I'll be there.

May God and the Admins help this board if we don't!

Yes, I'll be there. Just started snowing downtown this morning.

Oh, I do so love snow! (Sorry.) Don't like the timing of this one, though. The big problem will be plowing the streets and highways. I am trying to remember why the Dome was able to be packed for that Duke game. I know that during the game at least 5 inches fell on my car. We walked in the street because the sidewalks were impassable (typical of student slum landlords and students) and it was quite windy. We went with two of our best friends who had season tickets while they were at Duke, and they were quite impressed by the journey and the adventure. "Do you do this every game?" I assured them, "Yes. Every game." Ha ha!

So what you're saying is we should expect about 15,000 or so?

What's the smallest conference game crowd in Dome history?

So what you're saying is we should expect about 15,000 or so?

What's the smallest conference game crowd in Dome history?

Cuse.com's archives (at least the ones in the easy-to-read game summary format) only go back to 1999; looks like the smallest conference crowd in that time was for the Rutgers game in 2001-2002 (this was before the DeShaun meltdown and we were ranked 10th, but it was Christmas break and no students were around). That drew 14,322.

I bet there were a number of smaller conference crowds in the first couple years of the Dome, since we only averaged ~17,000 back then. But I don't remember any crowds that tiny in the late '90s, so I'm guessing 14,322 is the low point dating back to at least 1985.

We won't go that low tomorrow. Looks like we drew 16,305 for Clemson last week, they'll probably announce a figure right around there - the non-student season ticket base with zero walkup.

Hey, if I could make it to that Duke game last year, I can make anything. BUT - I live 3 miles from the Dome and can park 1 mile away and then hoof it. I have it easy. I am not sure how others can get there, and it could be dangerous. But the night of that Duke game, it was HORRIFIC and yet we had great attendance. It made me proud to be ORANGE!

How do I not remember how bad it was for that game last year? What was I drinking?

It's Boston College on a weeknight with no students. The attendance was going to be pretty bad anyway.

Lunchtime fun on a slow workday:

Everyone sees that attendance is down, but I didn't realize it had a chance to be historically low. Did a little follow-up research on the question of smallest home conference crowds at the Dome. With a couple gaps, here's the list:

1) 14,322 for Rutgers on Wednesday 2 January 2002
2) 14,367 for Seton Hall on Wednesday 16 February 1983
3) 16,305 for Clemson on Tuesday 5 January 2016
4) 16,336 for Connecticut on Wednesday 2 February 1983
5) 16,770 for Seton Hall on Friday 30 December 1983

There's a small gap here (I can't find 10 box scores for the first two seasons of the Dome, though most of the missing games were on weekends during the spring semester and it's fair to assume that they drew better than 17,000, the lowest 1980-1982 crowd I found).

If it looks unusually empty tomorrow night, we'll probably bump Seton Hall and join the 1983 team with two bottom-five crowds for a Dome conference game. Wonder how long we'll continue this trend; maybe we've seen the last season ticket price bump for a couple years.

With a couple gaps, here's the list:

1) 14,322 for Rutgers on Wednesday 2 January 2002
2) 14,367 for Seton Hall on Wednesday 16 February 1983
3) 16,305 for Clemson on Tuesday 5 January 2016
4) 16,336 for Connecticut on Wednesday 2 February 1983
5) 16,770 for Seton Hall on Friday 30 December 1983
hmmm, I was at 3 of those.

Wonder how long we'll continue this trend; maybe we've seen the last season ticket price bump for a couple years.
Tyus and Matthew say "No way, José!"

The crowd last Tuesday for Clemson did seem small but the 3rd smallest ever? Wow. It didn't seem that bad...

The smallest crowd I remember seeing in person was for Drexel on 12/22/2o1o. The boxscore lists attendance as 17,856. That seems about 3-5k too high.

There was a game against St. John's in 2000 that I had a ticket for but couldn't make the trip due to weather. It was an ESPN/2 game and vividly remember a ton of empty seats. That was probably the smallest televised game ever I've seen in 20+ years. The box score says 22,632 for that game.

That was an awesome year. I remember storming the court after the UConn win. The UCLA game was fun as hell too...

The crowd last Tuesday for Clemson did seem small but the 3rd smallest ever? Wow. It didn't seem that bad...

The smallest crowd I remember seeing in person was for Drexel on 12/22/2o1o. The boxscore lists attendance as 17,856. That seems about 3-5k too high.

There was a game against St. John's in 2000 that I had a ticket for but couldn't make the trip due to weather. It was an ESPN/2 game and vividly remember a ton of empty seats. That was probably the smallest televised game ever I've seen in 20+ years. The box score says 22,632 for that game.

That was an awesome year. I remember storming the court after the UConn win. The UCLA game was fun as hell too...

You thinking of the St. John's game in 1998 during a lake effect storm that was delayed because the refs got caught in the weather? Because that one must've only had 10,000 in the seats. SU encouraged everyone to move downstairs. Think St. John's won late due to good things from Zendon Hamilton and bad things from Todd Burgan.

You thinking of the St. John's game in 1998 during a lake effect storm that was delayed because the refs got caught in the weather? Because that one must've only had 10,000 in the seats. SU encouraged everyone to move downstairs. Think St. John's won late due to good things from Zendon Hamilton and bad things from Todd Burgan.

That must have been it! I remember being in high school all day stoked to attend the game only to find out that we wouldn't be making the trip when I got home. To miss game at that age was devastating!

I still own Todd Burgan and Felipe Lopez jerseys.