Assists | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Assists

We’ve the ball much more and more players handle it in the offense. I don’t think any one guy is going tinged a lot of assists but as a team we’ll get more and several players will contribute. Plus we’re going to play 4 guards vs 2 that alone will reduce the per player numbers.

Something to ponder- in our NC year Gerry averaged 4.4 apg. No one else averaged more than 2.5 (Edelin). We also averaged almost 14 Turnovers per game that season as well. We did average around 15 assists per game.

We shot 34 pct from 3, fouled too much , rebounded very well, were not great from the FT line and blocked a ton of shots. We also gave up nearly 70 pts a game while scoring 79 per.

What is the conclusion? Everyone's recipe is different. Box scores tell somewhat of a story but if we can put points on the board defend admirably, and have a good core of quality scorers, we can surprise some folks this year.

Jalen and Brycen combined for 3 A. In two games against overmatched teams our backcourt averages 3 A / game.
In this game Eli, Buddy and Marek combined for 13. Marek led everyone with 5. Eli had 4 and Buddy 4

As long as we have them, I don’t care who gets them. We knew this team doesn’t have (major seems to have recruited a more distributor-type PG.

Ball movement seems to be a strength of this years team. If there’s a stat of average passes per possession or individual time spent with the ball per possession, I suspect the former will be up this year and the latter way down. Isolation with :12 left isn’t going to be the norm this year.

you can make all the great passes in the world.. someone needs to make the shot.. the better you shoot the more assists you have the chance to get.. if we are making 8-10 3s a game all yr we will have a good number of assists. our 2 forwards are the guys more likely to try and score 1x1.

Jalen and Brycen combined for 3 A. In two games against overmatched teams our backcourt averages 3 A / game.
In this game Eli, Buddy and Marek combined for 13. Marek led everyone with 5. Eli had 4 and Buddy 4
why would you separate buddy from the backcourt? that's a rhetorical question; i know why you did it.

i count 10 assists from the guards, btw. vs. 4 turnovers.

I'm discussing point guard play, not backcourt play. Buddy is not a point guard. A point guard should have a good handle, value the ball and make others around him better.

I'm discussing point guard play, not backcourt play. Buddy is not a point guard. A point guard should have a good handle, value the ball and make others around him better.
maybe that's what you want to talk about now, but that is not what you opened the thread with

to the wider point: if teams think they can pressure our young point guards, and we have other players who can relieve that pressure effectively, it is bad because . . . ?

Last edited:
maybe that's what you want to talk about now, but that is not what you opened the thread with

to the wider point: if teams think they can pressure our young point guards, and we have other players who can relieve that pressure effectively, it is bad because . . . ?
This is getting petty. I did not try to hide Buddy's assists. My concern is the assists of our point guards.

We have had five guys bring the ball up the court in two games. I think it is fair to say that defining the PG position makes no sense when you have that many options.

In two exhibition games we have averaged 18 assists per game. In our first two exhibition games last year we averaged 14.5 a game vs far weaker competition.

In 09-10 Rautins (30-5 record) led us in assists as a SG ( believe this was already mentioned).

What exactly is so imperative about the PG position having high assist #s if the team as a whole passes it well and there are multiple ball handlers and playmakers to go around?

We have had five guys bring the ball up the court in two games. I think it is fair to say that defining the PG position makes no sense when you have that many options.

In two exhibition games we have averaged 18 assists per game. In our first two exhibition games last year we averaged 14.5 a game vs far weaker competition.

In 09-10 Rautins (30-5 record) led us in assists as a SG ( believe this was already mentioned).

What exactly is so imperative about the PG position having high assist #s if the team as a whole passes it well and there are multiple ball handlers and playmakers to go around?

For every Sims or Carter-Williams with gaudy solo stats there's been a successful SU team with a point guard who's just one cog in a lineup of good passers. This won't be the former, and time will tell if it's the latter, but it looks like there's some complementary skill sets out there. Even Sidibe and Edwards are unpanicked and able to find an open teammate when a shot isn't available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom