The last 13 NCAA Champs (14 seasons) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The last 13 NCAA Champs (14 seasons)

Sorry, love you all, but all this slobbering over UConn in three different threads is gross. This is unseemly for our fanbase. UConn has had maybe 2-3 juggernaut seasons (and that’s incredible) and then had some luck in a single elimination tournament. Going 6-0 in title games over 25 years is a wild statistical fluke. 2011 and 2014 never should have happened. There isn’t some inherent magic in their program.

That said, I’m impressed by what Hurley has done the last two seasons, and other college coaches should take note of his newfound focus on offensive innovation and a more European style of play and adapt (and adopt) accordingly.

I suppose it depends on one’s definition of blue blood.
it's copper versus iron.

"Our blood is red because we use hemoglobin to move oxygen around. Hemoglobin has iron in it, which gives off a reddish hue. (Think of rust.) Horseshoe crabs use a copper-based molecule called hemocyanin to distribute oxygen. In nature, copper turns things blue or blue-green. So that's why their blood is blue; it's copper-based."

depositphotos_646785858-stock-illustration-heme-haem-protoheme-chemical-formula.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, love you all, but all this slobbering over UConn in three different threads is gross. This is unseemly for our fanbase. UConn has had maybe 2-3 juggernaut seasons (and that’s incredible) and then had some luck in a single elimination tournament. Going 6-0 in title games over 25 years is a wild statistical fluke. 2011 and 2014 never should have happened. There isn’t some inherent magic in their program.

That said, I’m impressed by what Hurley has done the last two seasons, and other college coaches should take note of his newfound focus on offensive innovation and a more European style of play and adapt (and adopt) accordingly.
Acknowledgment and detest can both be true at once. Just because someone acknowledges that they deserve to be viewed in the upper echelon of basketball programs does not mean everyone is “slobbering” all over them. It feels dirty to give them any respect, however I’m personally not blinded by my own bias.

The media is never going to buy into UConn as a blue blood like they do the others. They aren’t sexy enough and they don’t get the type of player Duke or UK do. It also hurts them that their games are primarily on FS1 and not ESPN.
We need to stop thinking of this in the blue bloods term. This is old money versus new money. And UConn is the new money tech giant who started that little google company and seems to be doing okay.

And no, Syracuse isn’t old money. Close, but a few championships short.

We need to stop thinking of this in the blue bloods term. This is old money versus new money. And UConn is the new money tech giant who started that little google company and seems to be doing okay.

Between NIL and the inevitable conference realignment or complete change of the NCAA as we know it, the last era is firmly closed. The best programs in the future may not necessarily be the historically best programs or bluebloods of the past. Those with the most money for coaches and players will dominate.

{snip

Next batch of teams: in no order
Indiana (historical success and titles put them here), Michigan State, Villanova, Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Syracuse, Louisville, Gonzaga, Maryland

{snip}
Maryland? Yes, they've won a natty, but Gary Williams is gone. They're on their 2nd coach since, and they finished with a losing record again this past season.

They are. And we are not even in the same galaxy. Not even close.

From a national championship standpoint, 6 vs. 1, you're 100% correct. However, Syracuse University is the 5th winningest (I'm counting the bogus 101 vacated W's) program in Division 1 college basketball history. UConn currently stands at 23rd.

UConn has 6 natties in the past 25 years, commencing with their first in 1999. It truly is an uncanny and remarkable feat, along with their 6-0 championship record. However, that 23rd number doesn't coincide with their number of titles as the number 1-4 teams ( Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina & Duke) do. That is where UConn is an outlier to the aforementioned "blue bloods," although, I'd personally take all of their championships in a heartbeat over total all time wins...but that's me.

Perhaps, this is why the "old school" media and the like voluntarily/stubbornly choose to shun them from that particular category/status?

Duke for me is borderline. They didn’t have F4s as early as the others and won their first title much later.

UCLA was awesome from 1960-1980. They haven’t been much since. The lack of sustained success IMO knocks them out.

I think Indiana is borderline too due to the lack of recent success.

I only watched the first season but I would compare UConn to the Russell’s in the Gilded Age. They are the richest people on the block but not a blue blood. I think too many people associate “blue blood” with best program.
Too much recency bias here. They been to 4 FFs since the turn of the century including 3 in a row and then one as recently as 3 years ago.

And probably too recent. No championship until this century and our first FF was 1975 with big gaps in between the others. I'd love to get back to that next tier that were on in 2012.

It’ll be hilarious if UCLA wins a title in the next few years to see the Big Ten bragging about finally ending their title drought. The blowback they’ll get for it would be even more hilarious.

Too much recency bias here. They been to 4 FFs since the turn of the century including 3 in a row and then one as recently as 3 years ago.
I have no problem including UCLA but I wouldn’t personally. One title since 1975, five F4s since 1980, five reg season PAC titles since 1997. They haven’t been elite nationally or even within conference.

In terms of tiers they certainly belong in tier 1. But IMO blue blood isn’t a tier.

I have no problem including UCLA but I wouldn’t personally. One title since 1975, five F4s since 1980, five reg season PAC titles since 1997. They haven’t been elite nationally or even within conference.

In terms of tiers they certainly belong in tier 1. But IMO blue blood isn’t a tier.
That's fair. I guess blue blood is more fluid for you than me.

Well the media wanted to talk more about Cal leaving UK and promote Flagg to Duke because I suspect that's what drives ratings.

I'm not sure who said it, but I read in another thread that UConn is Gonzaga with titles and that's probably a fair point. Gonzaga and UConn don't drive eyeballs. They don't get as many sure fire NBA players.
Broadcast and social media are in a different category than newspapers were/are for me. But broadcast media and social media simply reflect who we are as a people, for better or, mostly, for worse.

My point that I doubt the media wanted to push Iowa women’s hoops, but then Clark comes along and it’s all you see.

I think the average fan/viewer sees Duke, UNC, uk, etc. in a different way than anyone else. It’s annoying, but it is what it is.

Broadcast and social media are in a different category than newspapers were/are for me. But broadcast media and social media simply reflect who we are as a people, for better or, mostly, for worse.

My point that I doubt the media wanted to push Iowa women’s hoops, but then Clark comes along and it’s all you see.

I think the average fan/viewer sees Duke, UNC, uk, etc. in a different way than anyone else. It’s annoying, but it is what it is.
I think people who follow cbb realize UConn is good and know what other schools have a storied history.

Duke/UNC/UK/KU play to the casuals. It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom