At the end of the day it will probably be recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

At the end of the day it will probably be recruiting

Crusty said:
That, as you know. is not saying much. The class is ranked something like 14th in the ACC. Two and three star athletes is not going to do much in the ACC. Who in this class do we feel are difference makers? More importantly, how many? You did your research right?

There are not that many 2*.

Crusty said:
I just checked Sco ut and we are currently EDIT 17th 7th and we are almost certainly going to be passed by a couple before it is all over. 247 has us 10th in the ACC at the moment. ESPN does not have us in the top 40 - can't find conference rankings. Rivals has us 13th. Guys, I am normally willing to drink the Kool-Aid, but what do we really hang our hat on. Granted, we have had two classes better than previous years, but we are also in the ACC and we won't go anywhere with bottom conference recruiting classes. Somewhere someone we have to do better, don't we?

Recruiting strikes me as one of those things that can always be better. I think the curve is headed up.

Give it another year or two.

There are several HUGE names that haven't been given ample opportunity to display their talents yet.

Slayton, Samuels, Ward, Bennet, Thomas, Enoicy... the list goes on.

I agree and another kid that I love is Moskal. I think he can be a huge contributor in the next couple of years

The sad part is though is McDonald leaves his recruits will probably go with him

The most recent class is going to be very special. I see a lot of Tavon Austin in Erv however, he needs some freakin blocking.

To me, this years OLine underperformed immensely. I've never been a Miller fan, but to each their own I suppose.

Part of me really believes in last years class. I think the LB core from the 2014 and LB core from the 2015 class could be the best group of LBs we've had in a while. We all know Ish is the gem of the class. I'm not giving up on Custis or Enoicy yet. I really believe Custis was victim of indecision on whether to play him at TE or WR.

I'll make this statement about our line commits. With the type of Offensive Linemen we recruit/land - It's going to take them a year or so to develop. From a physical and mental standpoint. We all know how much work it takes to make your body ready for a division 1 sport, but the mental part of blocking schemes, pass protection, and technique is on a totally different level in college (compared to high school). If we're being realistic, many high schools around the country also don't have people who give them the proper coaching while they are there. (just being honest). The first year they get into college, a good chunk of players spend a lot of time correcting muscle memory for the wrong things they are doing. We have a lot of Offensive Linemen coming in for the '15 class, and they can be special (IMO), but we're going to have to be patient. I think Ward starts next year. Roberts could push that envelope as well. I'm interested to see what Slayton, Harvey, and Kayton do with a year of S&C under their belts. I spent a good chunk of time talking about the OL/DL recruits, because they are the most important to hit on. Any good line is going to make a RB look above average or a QB look like a better passer than he is. I realize I'm rambling right now, but that could be because I've had too many Jack and Cokes tonight.

To me, this years OLine underperformed immensely. I've never been a Miller fan, but to each their own I suppose.

Part of me really believes in last years class. I think the LB core from the 2014 and LB core from the 2015 class could be the best group of LBs we've had in a while. We all know Ish is the gem of the class. I'm not giving up on Custis or Enoicy yet. I really believe Custis was victim of indecision on whether to play him at TE or WR.

I'll make this statement about our line commits. With the type of Offensive Linemen we recruit/land - It's going to take them a year or so to develop. From a physical and mental standpoint. We all know how much work it takes to make your body ready for a division 1 sport, but the mental part of blocking schemes, pass protection, and technique is on a totally different level in college (compared to high school). If we're being realistic, many high schools around the country also don't have people who give them the proper coaching while they are there. (just being honest). The first year they get into college, a good chunk of players spend a lot of time correcting muscle memory for the wrong things they are doing. We have a lot of Offensive Linemen coming in for the '15 class, and they can be special (IMO), but we're going to have to be patient. I think Ward starts next year. Roberts could push that envelope as well. I'm interested to see what Slayton, Harvey, and Kayton do with a year of S&C under their belts. I spent a good chunk of time talking about the OL/DL recruits, because they are the most important to hit on. Any good line is going to make a RB look above average or a QB look like a better passer than he is. I realize I'm rambling right now, but that could be because I've had too many Jack and Cokes tonight.
Good post. I was hoping that would be the case especially with Roberts and Ward. I though the LB's might turn into a special unit next year and in the next few years so I am pleased to see your comments.

Have another Jack and keep going?

BTW I ran in to a Cuse guy that is HC BB and Asst coach in FB at Hoke High. Thought you might know him. Told him about the board and the tailgate next year at NCS. He and his wife were at the Wake game but had tickets on the Wake side.

Hard to evaluate this year's frosh class as they haven't even been on campus for a year.

More important to me than star ratings is the fact that this class was full of early verbals, which means they must have been the staff's #1 choices at those positions. The coaches know more about these kids than the guys who give the ratings. It also allowed them to get an early start on the next class. And the success of this year's freshmen suggests that these guys are pretty good talent evaluators.

Last edited:
I still think Dowels and Williams are going to be very good players as well as others mentioned. By the lack of WRs being recruited I think Lester is high on Custis and Enoicy at WR.

I still think Dowels and Williams are going to be very good players as well as others mentioned. By the lack of WRs being recruited I think Lester is high on Custis and Enoicy at WR.
Custis,and Enoicy like Trey fit the mold of being able to play inside out, catch passes, and block, yet being able to be in the slot at times.

that determines the staff's fate. It wouldn't be the first time a few stars bailed out a staff in a tough spot.

I am not referring to the short term good feeling we get with verbals, but recruits actually delivering on the field. So far, the only one of Shafer's that seems to be a sure fire star is Ishmael. Phillips looks very promising as is Estime, but Brisly can't seem to stay on the field. That is about it on the offensive side of the ball.

Dunkleberger is exciting, but we were excited about Custis last year as well. (What did happen to Custis?)

This year's class is riddled with 2R/3S star recruits - 13 by my count. Not a single four star - again.

I think we continue to find some outstanding defensive prospects. but darn few on offense. I am not sure what all the fuss is about with this class. (Am willing to learn!)

Three words.

Indoor Practice Facility

This years team had a bad offensive line, and PTG never should have been the lead back, this year proved why he was the backup the last 2 years. Send this years starting line on their way, start over with Ward, Roberts, Hayes, McGloster, and a center, and let them grow as a unit. At least the young guys have size, and an upside, the current group was bad the very first game against Villanova.

This year's offensive line was bad?? Have you been watching the same games I have??

This year's offensive line was really good until injuries had is down to 3rd stringers and 2nd stringers playing out of position. Lowest sack totals in many years.

PTG was the lead back because he was the only back that can block. He was also still the best option as a runner.

This year's offensive line was bad?? Have you been watching the same games I have??

This year's offensive line was really good until injuries had is down to 3rd stringers and 2nd stringers playing out of position. Lowest sack totals in many years.

PTG was the lead back because he was the only back that can block. He was also still the best option as a runner.
Flat out wrong...

Flat out wrong...

No, it's a fact. I should have specified, he is the best pass blocker we have in the backfield. Every other RB can't pass block at all.

I also shouldn't have used the term "lead back" what I meant was starting RB.

No, it's a fact. I should have specified, he is the best pass blocker we have in the backfield. Every other RB can't pass block at all.

Again that's flat out wrong. Adonis is a very good pass blocker. Re-watch some tape, he's a very good run and pass blocker, that's much closer to fact.

Again that's flat out wrong. Adonis is a very good pass blocker. Re-watch some tape, he's a very good run and pass blocker, that's much closer to fact.

You may think he is a good blocker but the coaching staff does not trust any of the other backs enough to give them more PT. I have every televised game for the past 3 years on DVR. I have seen Adonis and the other back-ups throw every form of bullfighter block known to mankind. Also notice he is very rarely in the game when there is a pass called.

You have to be able to run and block, none of the other backs can do both with enough consistency to unseat Gulley. That should tell you something.

You may think he is a good blocker but the coaching staff does not trust any of the other backs enough to give them more PT. I have every televised game for the past 3 years on DVR. I have seen Adonis and the other back-ups throw every form of bullfighter block known to mankind. Also notice he is very rarely in the game when there is a pass called.

You have to be able to run and block, none of the other backs can do both with enough consistency to unseat Gulley. That should tell you something.
I don't have the past 2 years on Dvr as I erase them after the seasons end. However I have every game that's been on TV this season. He has plenty of very good pass blocks trust me, I watch the rb's very closely. And whose on the field when, has 0 meaning with this staff...

I don't have the past 2 years on Dvr as I erase them after the seasons end. However I have every game that's been on TV this season. He has plenty of very good pass blocks trust me, I watch the rb's very closely. And whose on the field when, has 0 meaning with this staff...

Pretty sure I am right...evidenced by the fact that Gulley is the starter and AAM isn't.

Pretty sure I am right...evidenced by the fact that Gulley is the starter and AAM isn't.
Who said anything about who's starting?? Wow, yeah only a starter can block. This all started by you saying NO other back could block. Which would be wrong...

Who said anything about who's starting?? Wow, yeah only a starter can block. This all started by you saying NO other back could block. Which would be wrong...

I said, none of the other backs could block consistently enough to unseat Gulley as the starter. That is fact.

I said, none of the other backs could block consistently enough to unseat Gulley as the starter. That is fact.

No, no, that's not what you said, fact. You said something completely different twice! Maybe that's what you "meant" to write, but that's not what you wrote. You're back tracking now. You're saying Gulley is the only back that can block, said so more than once, and it's wrong. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

PTG was the lead back because he was the only back that can block. He was also still the best option as a runner.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom