Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman | Syracusefan.com

Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman

man, most of those replying probably had no clue who coach SU, but make one little joke...

And someone needs to let the twit who posted about pulling recruits out of Georgia that our starting OLB is from Georgia. moron.

Ha, it's insulting, but it's great. As someone said on twitter, the reaction to that comment is the most attention Syracuse football has gotten in twenty years. I've got zero problem with Schafer getting his Spurrier on.

That said, those of us who spent the night in the car or walked miles in the snow to get home to their kids, or whose kids spent the night on the bus? They might be a bit touchy. I personally left my office at 2:30 pm and got home at midnight, and I walked the last 2.5 miles. And I was extremely lucky. Fortunately my family all got home safe. A lot went into this mess, none of which had anything to do with toughness.

Funny I didn't see many Florida or Louisiana folks making fun of NY for losing their crap over "hurricane" Sandy.

That said, I love this. It's great for ACC football and Syracuse football.

Funny I didn't see many Florida or Louisiana folks making fun of NY for losing their crap over "hurricane" Sandy..

Well I wouldn't exactly compare the two. Hurricane Sandy killed over 70 people and caused almost $75 billion in damage, including destroying many people's homes, businesses, livelihoods. This snow storm, while creating a lot of havoc for people, didn't exactly inflict a ton of damage.

The tweet(s) are gone. Fortunately.
Must've been a student, or someone else, with poor taste.

It was a mess out there.

Ha, it's insulting, but it's great. As someone said on twitter, the reaction to that comment is the most attention Syracuse football has gotten in twenty years. I've got zero problem with Schafer getting his Spurrier on.

That said, those of us who spent the night in the car or walked miles in the snow to get home to their kids, or whose kids spent the night on the bus? They might be a bit touchy. I personally left my office at 2:30 pm and got home at midnight, and I walked the last 2.5 miles. And I was extremely lucky. Fortunately my family all got home safe. A lot went into this mess, none of which had anything to do with toughness.

Funny I didn't see many Florida or Louisiana folks making fun of NY for losing their crap over "hurricane" Sandy.

There is no comparison between Sandy and a snowstorm. We get those all the time.

We get those all the time.
No you don't.

You get snow on top of already cold roads. That's not a problem.

In warmer climates, where the roads are still warm as the temperature drops, the snow melts and then freezes causing a sheet of ice.

The DOT claims that they iced the highway bridges before the storm hit. Lots of good that does for the other 99% of the highways and 100% of the other roads in the area.

No you don't.

In warmer climates, where the roads are still warm as the temperature drops, the snow melts and then freezes causing a sheet of ice.

The DOT claims that they iced the highway bridges before the storm hit. Lots of good that does for the other 99% of the highways and 100% of the other roads in the area.
First, snow on top of cold roads is still a problem. We also get early storms that knock our power lines down. If you don't think we get icey roads, you are vastly mistaken. And the point is the post I responded to. What Atlanta just got, is no where near as bad as Sandy. Not even close.

No you don't.

Sure we do, in fact we had the same scenario in Monday. It was 40 at 6am, and then the temp dropped into the 20's during this time we got 3 inches of snow. Roads sucked for about 3 hours. Syracuse is just built to handle it better between the plows and the salt reserves. It's not a function of the weather but area we live in and how prepared we are for this type of weather.

No you don't.

Eastern NY gets ice storms all the time. I'll have to take a pic of the tree laying in my backyard from the one we got hit with 2 weeks ago. Sure, the salt trucks eventually take care of it but not before most people are already headed to work.

I don't for a minute think Shafer wrote this tweet.I'm from Syracuse and I know Coach better than that.I do know that the South is not equipped to handle these situations like we are.It would be stupid to tie up money in a ton of equipment and stockpile salt and sand like we do for those situations.Quit ragging on them and show some class.

Of course they wouldn't, they know what real storms are with regular hurricanes; Andrew, Katrina etc. Sandy was a major @ss event. You wouldn't see a New Yorker making fun of a tornado in Georgia, but snow and ice is a little different. Obviously nobody would be poking fun of people stranded in their cars over night. But what happened in Atlanta was a big inconvenience, not life threatening or major loss of property by any stretch.

man, most of those replying probably had no clue who coach SU, but make one little joke...

And someone needs to let the twit who posted about pulling recruits out of Georgia that our starting OLB is from Georgia. moron.
I've never seen a more out of touch comment in my life.

ya but shouldn;t you be mad at your city and stave gov't??

The truth is we deal with this stuff 5 months of the year and find a way to deal. Roads, schools, businesses close - you find a way. That IS hard-nosed.

It's never a good idea to poke fun at the misfortune of others - that's the problem. But you can't compare our ability to handle this kind of weather - proper equipment or not.

bnoro said:
@edsbs
you play in a dome RT @Coach_Shafer: 2 inches of snow, city and airport shutdown ATL#softnosed

@edsbs
you lost 56-0 to georgia tech RT@Coach_Shafer: 2 inches of snow, city and airport shutdown ATL #softnosed

@celebrityhottub
Well, expect the Georgia media to rank Syracuse football 13th in the ACC instead of 12th now.

EDSBS is beyond hypocritical. Their entire blog is making fun of various people and programs in college football. They can't handle one comment that is beyond innocuous without blowing it up?

The Nunes post about it is also colossaly stupid. Write a post, get page views and implore SU fans not to say anything on Twitter. He's absolutely right about that, but his post just exacerbates the echo chamber. His site used to be a must read for me, but I don't feel like I'm missing much checking in a couple times a week.

Lou_C said:

As someone who knows people that almost literally lost everything during Sandy, you're out of line comparing the two. A few hours inconvenience is nothing compared to what the Sandy victims went through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom