ATTENTION STUDENTS | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ATTENTION STUDENTS

The support needs to come from both students and local people. Obviously having a lot of students creates a great atmosphere as shown during big games in recent years, such as Louisville last year. The local people still account for a large amount of the attendance though.

Growing up in the area and now as a student here, what I've found to be the main problem is that the perception is that Syracuse football isn't very good, and whenever there's a game, it's just another Syracuse football game. I think most people here realize that until the team starts winning consistently, going to games won't be what people are looking forward to on the weekend.

Unfortunately, there was a decline in the prestige of the program, and with that came a decline in people's interest in Syracuse football. We're getting back on the right track, and as long as we continue to improve as a program, both the students and local fans will want to be part of a great program and they'll want to support it.

These arguments are useless. We need a good student section, and we need a good local section.

We typically would have both or neither. Good teams get both, bad teams get neither.

Pointing fingers is not only a waste of time, it's counterproductive.

Weird that I don't see these threads on the hoops board.

Our basketball student section is awful as well. These are the same group of clowns that Booed MCW, and cheered when Cooney got hurt. Sure they will show up to an event like G'town, but can't count on them otherwise.

I think you don't get your grades at the end of the semester unless you attend all home football games!!! New student graduation requirement!!!!

As far as filling the stadium on game day with local supporters send vouchers to youth groups, youth football leagues, church groups, etc. that if the game is not sold out 30 minutes before game time that each youth can get in for $5 and $10 for the accompanying adult until all seats are gone. No adults without a child with a voucher. That way you know it is young football fans who want an opportunity that they might not otherwise have to attend the games. They will come, they will cheer, and they will fill the stadium, and they will be happy to be there. Maybe an 800 number that they can call on game day to check seat availability.

Townie is an universal term...hell I called you Oswego folks that.
I for one haven't or would never say it if i'm in another college "town". Oh well tho... I'm over it.

Here's my issue, the students should be held to a higher attendance standard than the locals for the following reasons:
1. Most students have close to 0 responsibilities other than not dropping their iPhone in the toilet at Chuck's.
2. The vast majority of students live within 800 yards of the Dome.
3. They do show up for basketball games.
4. Many/most are getting free tickets from their parents.
5. They chose to go to Syracuse, a big-name sports school, so they should have some pride and go to the games. The way the university has been trending academically, many of these students could have gone to a comparable state school, without major sports, for a lot less money.

Locals often have:
1. Responsibilities, including work, family obligations, and financial concerns.
2. More than a 1 minute walk to the Dome.

Sweet Jesus, what a horrible post.

Sweet Jesus, what a horrible post.

The man is probably the most over-the-top, loyal, enraged Syracuse football fan I know. I dig it.

His fandom is second only to me because I have the autographed authentic Marvin Graves jersey he wishes he had.

We are a basketball school. Whether you want to admit it or not, to the student body, we are a basketball school.

It's gotten better in recent years, but to the majority of students who go to Syracuse who haven't followed Syracuse at all their entire lives, we are a basketball school. It's just a fact.

Starting the student attendance threads early this year I see :)

Get to bed by 3:00. Grab 7 1//2 hours. Get up - bloody mary and a couple of eggs. Shower optional. Walk 4 minutes. What is the problem?

I've said it before and I'll say it AGAIN.

The people complaining to the posters/potential students here about attendance, are directing their complaints to the WRONG people.

Since we all post on a Syracuse sports forum, I think it's safe to say we are all fans who aren't missing Saturday afternoon games.

The people who are sitting in their dorms, hungover, watching the game (if at all) on their flatscreen are NOT posting on this board.

Here's my issue, the students should be held to a higher attendance standard than the locals for the following reasons:
1. Most students have close to 0 responsibilities other than not dropping their iPhone in the toilet at Chuck's.
2. The vast majority of students live within 800 yards of the Dome.
3. They do show up for basketball games.
4. Many/most are getting free tickets from their parents.
5. They chose to go to Syracuse, a big-name sports school, so they should have some pride and go to the games. The way the university has been trending academically, many of these students could have gone to a comparable state school, without major sports, for a lot less money.

Locals often have:
1. Responsibilities, including work, family obligations, and financial concerns.
2. More than a 1 minute walk to the Dome.

Why don't you go knock on their dorm room doors at 11:30am then each Saturday, because ranting here isn't going to accomplish anything other than mis-directing your disappointment with the student at attendance at the current and former students who went to EVERY game (me, blackknight, bnoro, Nails, strumpfasaurus, etc).

Personally, I don't too people here are complaining about the students as much as they are theorizing how SU can get more students involved. I don't see any reason why SU -- or the fans who post on this board -- should just accept the status quo as the way it always will be.

They students today don't remember a time when we were truly relevant. We are a football school first - but to most of the students, their earliest memories are the end of Coach P.

It takes time + wins. By the time my 4 year old is ready to enroll, we'll have a few ACC titles, and a few "final fours" in the 16 team playoff. He will also think I'm being funny when I tell him UCONN had a football team.

Granted my 4 years at SU were the Grob years but I've found that most students are too hung over to go to a noon kickoff on a saturday. We just need quality opponents in there too.

F this.

Man when we played Minnesota I went SOOOO still drunk I dry heaved in the stands. Went and got 1000 napkins and had my own 3 yard halo around me but damn I WAS THERE!!!!

We are a football school first - but to most of the students, their earliest memories are the end of Coach P.
Most of today's students weren't around for P's successor... that's probably a good thing.
They know that "their team" wins half of their games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom