ATTENTION STUDENTS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ATTENTION STUDENTS

this is partially why i hate students at SU... I was born and raised in The Salt City and liverpool. I happened to move away for a couple years and lived in Boston, yet kept my seasons tickets and drove home for every game. THIS WAS DURING THE GROB YEARS. I even went to away games during this time. THIS..is why locals are the heart of this program and university. THIS..is why the empty student sections makes me sick. If i can drive from Boston to Cuse for every game..half the time with hangovers myself...why the hell cant students walk 2 minutes to the football games. The student section isnt even that big in The Dome for football. Fill the damn thing every single game or don't complain when people laugh at your attempt at being fans. End of rant.

Yeah! I don't even know why the University bothers bringing in students! What are they good for?

Granted my 4 years at SU were the Grob years but I've found that most students are too hung over to go to a noon kickoff on a saturday. We just need quality opponents in there too.
I call BS on this excuse. Too hung over?! C'mon, suck it up. We were plenty hung over and still had good student support. My Freshman year we were #6 party school in the nation.

Granted my 4 years at SU were the Grob years but I've found that most students are too hung over to go to a noon kickoff on a saturday. We just need quality opponents in there too.
That's still no exCUSE! B1G play noon games against crappy non-conference games and they still show up.

I havent been a student at SU for a while, guys. Just making an observation here. All I know is I will be in Metlife stadium and I will be juiced for the game.

The athletic department needs to make it as cheap and easy as possible for the students to attend games. And don't forget grad students, faculties, and their families. I am not a marketing person but I am certain there are some clever strategies to get this done. For one thing sending multiple invitations to buy tickets might help, I recall when I was there you got one letter a couple months before the school year began and that letter was part of the bill that went to your parents where you could check a box and buy student tickets. This needs to be pushed, and it needs to be very heavily discounted at least for football. You could have a game day last minute ticket sale for students/faculty where you can buy tickets for 75% off or whatever...it's like hotels.com better to have full occupancy and drop your average rate than to have a half empty hotel - once your costs are covered, any extra bodies means extra profit. You could also tie in ticket sales with other offers- private party with the team, discounts at the bookstore or food vendors on campus - anything. Again not a marketing person but there is stuff that can be done. The students come to basketball games, you have to incetivize them to come to the football games - plus everyone is hung over for those early saturday games.

For the locals who say students don't matter, clearly the die-hard local fans will show up no matter what. The x-factor in attendance is the students. And certainly the energy level of a bunch of tanked 21 year olds is far more fitting for a college sports environment then a bunch of mildly intoxicated 50 year olds sitting on their behinds. Not to mention the declining local population base makes student attendance more important over time. Syracuse is unique in that SU is the replacement for not having a pro-team nearby so local people support the school heavily...but I'd have to say the alumni and students are the people you need to get involved to have success long-term. And regardless of what they do while on campus go to SU events in NYC or philly and the alumni turnout relative to the size of the school is always pretty impressive - many students go to the school in part because of the strong sports culture it just might take them until a few years after graduation to really put being part of that as a big priority. The athletic department marketing people should work on changing that.

We should start a big brother/sister effort... buy a student a beer at each game.. Maybe the offer of one free dome foam will bring them in.

I'll contribute.

A Big Brother/Little Brother beer event is a GREAT idea!
images

this is partially why i hate students at SU... I was born and raised in The Salt City and liverpool. I happened to move away for a couple years and lived in Boston, yet kept my seasons tickets and drove home for every game. THIS WAS DURING THE GROB YEARS. I even went to away games during this time. THIS..is why locals are the heart of this program and university. THIS..is why the empty student sections makes me sick. If i can drive from Boston to Cuse for every game..half the time with hangovers myself...why the hell cant students walk 2 minutes to the football games. The student section isnt even that big in The Dome for football. Fill the damn thing every single game or don't complain when people laugh at your attempt at being fans. End of rant.

I'm from Syracuse and an Alumni. You are 100% correct.

There is just no excuse for how piss poor the student attendance is at football games. I've given up on trying to get more students through the door and the university should too.

Somehow my friends and I stayed up all night haranguing the opposing team's fans at the bars on Marshall st. and still managed to make a 12-noon kickoff. Grow up and drink some coffee pus sies.

I would like to see it so that students who attend football games (a stamp or something, as proof?) get priority for basketball seating. The student basketball section is great. Need to get them to get as pumped for football.
this is what i'm talking about - some smart marketing tie-in. Or just give them football tickets at a huge discount when they buy hoops tickets. anything that fills the seats. eventually football can be as appealing as basketball but will take a longer stretch of winning. Still I'm willing to bet more students are going to get on board this season and if we start by beating penn-state - look out, attendance could rise dramatically.

If someone would like to bring up the posts of changing student demographics, private schools verses massive in-state Us, please do so and spare me the typing. And the record from 20o2 forward. Thanks in advance. :bang:

this is what i'm talking about - some smart marketing tie-in. Or just give them football tickets at a huge discount when they buy hoops tickets. anything that fills the seats. eventually football can be as appealing as basketball but will take a longer stretch of winning. Still I'm willing to bet more students are going to get on board this season and if we start by beating penn-state - look out, attendance could rise dramatically.

A lot of these people are bought season tickets by their parents. The student tickets are sold, it's just that none of them show up.

Opening game at home this season is a 4pm, good for getting students to the first game which is important to get them to come to the rest. As important, is playing well in the two games prior to the home opener.

I would like it that if students attend ALL the football games and stayed for the whole game you get priority seating for basketball. Agree sending multiple letters about student tickets is a must. (There should be a form on every bed or slipped under every door in every dorm room this week when they move in regardless of if they have already purchased.

I also think it would be great to have some type of post game entertainment by the marching band where go down on the field in front of the student section (no marching reqd) after the game they play the alma mater then go into a couple top 40/party music pops renditions. Band would enjoy doing it and more students would stay to hear it if they were a few different songs after each game.

Also for those who say the students don't matter only the locals do or the locals don't matter the students do. Seriously guys I've been both and attendance and enthusiasm from both sides is Paramount. When the Students get buzzing it adds atmosphere but at the same time they need the locals to remain enthusiastic and not get quiet to maintain their fervor. So lets stop driving a wedge and understand that everyone is important to a great fan experience.

Transmission Completed.

A lot of these people are bought season tickets by their parents. The student tickets are sold, it's just that none of them show up.
ok so how do you incentivize attendance? what do you give them to come? that notion may annoy the die-hard fans, but stadiums are filled by people who only sort of care.

I would like to see it so that students who attend football games (a stamp or something, as proof?) get priority for basketball seating. The student basketball section is great. Need to get them to get as pumped for football.

Thats actually an excellent idea...They should be at the Lax and Soccer games as well.

If someone would like to bring up the posts of changing student demographics, private schools verses massive in-state Us, please do so and spare me the typing. And the record from 20o2 forward. Thanks in advance. :bang:

Once again...the student section isnt THAT BIG. They should be able to fill that without even trying for every game. Even if students only went to one game a year and different students went to different games. How is this even an argument. We aren't Boston College.

These arguments are useless. We need a good student section, and we need a good local section.

We typically would have both or neither. Good teams get both, bad teams get neither.

Pointing fingers is not only a waste of time, it's counterproductive.

Weird that I don't see these threads on the hoops board.

And another thing... the game doesn't end in the 3rd quarter. You guys make the difference at the Dome. Stay and get weird.
That comment shouldn't be directed at just the students. Way too many locals leave early too.

Lets lock the damn doors until the end of the game..like HCSS said haha Fire Codes be damned!

These arguments are useless. We need a good student section, and we need a good local section.

We typically would have both or neither. Good teams get both, bad teams get neither.

Pointing fingers is not only a waste of time, it's counterproductive.

Weird that I don't see these threads on the hoops board.

Yes.

If the team is good the students will show up in bigger numbers. Just like the locals.

What a strange thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom