ATTENTION STUDENTS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ATTENTION STUDENTS

Once again...the student section isnt THAT BIG. They should be able to fill that without even trying for every game. Even if students only went to one game a year and different students went to different games. How is this even an argument. We aren't Boston College.

Actually we're a lot like Boston College when it comes to football. You talk like we should be Wisconsin.

Here's my issue, the students should be held to a higher attendance standard than the locals for the following reasons:
1. Most students have close to 0 responsibilities other than not dropping their iPhone in the toilet at Chuck's.
2. The vast majority of students live within 800 yards of the Dome.
3. They do show up for basketball games.
4. Many/most are getting free tickets from their parents.
5. They chose to go to Syracuse, a big-name sports school, so they should have some pride and go to the games. The way the university has been trending academically, many of these students could have gone to a comparable state school, without major sports, for a lot less money.

Locals often have:
1. Responsibilities, including work, family obligations, and financial concerns.
2. More than a 1 minute walk to the Dome.

Here's my issue, the students should be held to a higher attendance standard than the locals for the following reasons:
1. Most students have close to 0 responsibilities other than not dropping their iPhone in the toilet at Chuck's.
2. The vast majority of students live within 800 yards of the Dome.
3. They do show up for basketball games.
4. Many/most are getting free tickets from their parents.
5. They chose to go to Syracuse, a big-name sports school, so they should have some pride and go to the games. The way the university has been trending academically, many of these students could have gone to a comparable state school, without major sports, for a lot less money.

Locals often have:
1. Responsibilities, including work, family obligations, and financial concerns.
2. More than a 1 minute walk to the Dome.

Yeah, not like college kids are going to class or working or anything like that. The vast majority are not even close to 800 yards of the dome. Most are not getting free tickets, many of us had to pay our own. And we chose to go to SU for the education, the alumni network, and the prestige. That's an absolutely ridiculous paragraph. And I think most students have financial concerns too.

Most locals have to work on saturday? Sure. Your claim to be a realist seems farfetched.

Yeah, not like college kids are going to class or working or anything like that. The vast majority are not even close to 800 yards of the dome. Most are not getting free tickets, many of us had to pay our own. And we chose to go to SU for the education, the alumni network, and the prestige. That's an absolutely ridiculous paragraph. And I think most students have financial concerns too.

Most locals have to work on saturday? Sure. Your claim to be a realist seems farfetched.

Class on Saturday? Sure. Most of the student body doesn't have class on Fridays.

Create a rewards program for students. Show up to 5/6 home football games, swipe your student ID card to prove your attendance and you are immediately entered in to a scholarship contest that would entitle you to $20,000 off next year's tuition. 5,000 students showing up to the game buying season tickets at just $20 a clip would gross you $100,000. Giving away $20,000 of that is nothing. Plus the environment that it would create would lead to more locals showing up. The question would be, is that enough of an incentive for a kid who doesn't like sports?

Create a rewards program for students. Show up to 5/6 home football games, swipe your student ID card to prove your attendance and you are immediately entered in to a scholarship contest that would entitle you to $20,000 off next year's tuition. 5,000 students showing up to the game buying season tickets at just $20 a clip would gross you $100,000. Giving away $20,000 of that is nothing. Plus the environment that it would create would lead to more locals showing up. The question would be, is that enough of an incentive for a kid who doesn't like sports?

How about giving out credits. Attend 15 (or whatever number) SU sporting events and receive 1 A-grade phys. ed. credit. Last I knew they were dishing out credit for yoga, so I don't think there should be a problem here.

Actually we're a lot like Boston College when it comes to football. You talk like we should be Wisconsin.

Exactly. Everyone needs to accept it. There are a handful of schools who will fill their 70k plus stadium each week no matter what. We're not one of them. We're in a large group of teams that is the next level down. It's ok though. Obviously it will be nice to one day see the premium seats used, and see more 45k+ crowds. I think we will.

Both sides pointing fingers about it just makes no sense to me. If you spend time on this board, and you are are/were once a student, then it's likely you attend, or attended nearly every game, like I did (I only missed one, Temple '93). And if you spend time here as a non alum SU fan whose local, you're probably one of the 30-35k we can count on to show up at every single game.

To make this more productive, the students should call out the students who don't go, and the locals should call out the locals who don't go.

You being an alumn can agree with what im saying about the vast majority of the students at S.U. You sir are in the minority.

I don't disagree that things need to improve, but saying that the students are irrelevant or not needed or whatever is totally ignorant. Syracuse needs the students, it needs the alums, it needs the townies. We're not a factory program that can just pencil in a full building because that's the culture of the town/state.

I don't disagree that things need to improve, but saying that the students are irrelevant or not needed or whatever is totally ignorant. Syracuse needs the students, it needs the alums, it needs the townies. We're not a factory program that can just pencil in a full building because that's the culture of the town/state.
"Townies" another word for you're beneath me.

Exactly.
To make this more productive, the students should call out the students who don't go, and the locals should call out the locals who don't go.

Agree wholeheartedly and a call out to the alumni who complain about both groups but only attend games when it's convenient for them which is no different than the "fans" they complain about.

Agree wholeheartedly and a call out to the alumni who complain about both groups but only attend games when it's convenient for them which is no different than the "fans" they complain about.
Much like the Alumni who only show up in MSG for the Big East Tournament.

No.

You caught me. Clearly I have a sense of superiority based on something like "I came from a town other than the one I went to college in". Tail's between my legs, I'll be on my way.

I call BS on this excuse. Too hung over?! C'mon, suck it up. We were plenty hung over and still had good student support. My Freshman year we were #6 party school in the nation.

Get to bed by 3:00. Grab 7 1//2 hours. Get up - bloody mary and a couple of eggs. Shower optional. Walk 4 minutes. What is the problem?

Syracuse's program IS and always will be a tough, blue collar program. Hardnosed as hell...it is a direct reflection of the community and the local people who have been there for the program since its inception..and always will be there.

Get to bed by 3:00. Grab 7 1//2 hours. Get up - bloody mary and a couple of eggs. Shower optional. Walk 4 minutes. What is the problem?
damn you...now i need a bloody

You caught me. Clearly I have a sense of superiority based on something like "I came from a town other than the one I went to college in". Tail's between my legs, I'll be on my way.
Ask a local if they like being called that. That's all.

Syracuse's program IS and always will be a tough, blue collar program. Hardnosed as hell...it is a direct reflection of the community and the local people who have been there for the program since its inception..and always will be there.

no they haven't. they'd rather rake their leaves.

Wait...so you are comparing Syracuse to Boston College? Boston College is in a city that doesnt even realize they exsist as anything other than an institution of higher learning. I lived in Boston for a few years..and i went to more BC games then every single work with combined there. I didnt meet a SINGLE person who cared about college sports at all..let alone BC. Syracuse is the EXACT opposite of BC.

no they haven't. they'd rather rake their leaves.

I have avoided raking my leaves for my entire life... Except for when i was young and we would throw footballs to each other and dive into the leaves in the air while catching the ball. That is the only leave raking I or anyone i know has done rather than attend Syracuse football. So that is a false statement. haha

So basically what it comes down to is the students are hungover and the locals rake leaves for noon games. See... both are to blame.(n)

Wait...so you are comparing Syracuse to Boston College? Boston College is in a city that doesnt even realize they exsist as anything other than an institution of higher learning. I lived in Boston for a few years..and i went to more BC games then every single work with combined there. I didnt meet a SINGLE person who cared about college sports at all..let alone BC. Syracuse is the EXACT opposite of BC.

I am comparing the school - a private expensive place where people generally come from all over to attend. Furthermore, most of the kids going to BC - like Syracuse, didn't grow up BC fans. And also, they might not be sports fans - go figure. American demographics have changed. And unlike Syracuse, kids that go to BC might actually stick around Boston for a while, so in that sense we might be a tad bit behind.

The student population at basketball games has also dwindled from the late 80s - early 90s as well. Why is that?

Also, college football games can last 4 hours, and that's brutal.

But this thread has devolved into crude stereotypes of SU kids and getting cranky that people who live 5 hours away don't make a weekend of going to games at SU but have the nerve to fill up MSG.

It has become cranky. No question. Lets get everyone to the meadowlands(metLife) and take it out on Penn St.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom