Auburn/ Georgia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Auburn/ Georgia

it is funny that the one place you can spread outbreaks to rural areas is via large group gatherings like this. There are no apartment building w elevators or mass transit people need to work and shop in rural areas. But there is a fairly meaningless college football game with you could also watch on tv.
Why does everybody think that all SEC schools are in rural areas? Athens has a population of over 120,000.

Why does everybody think that all SEC schools are in rural areas? Athens has a population of over 120,000.

not the college towns themselves but towns where fans are drawn from.

Covid cases per capita:

1.Louisiana
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. North Dakota
6. Georgia
7. Arizona
8. South Carolina
9. Tennessee
10. Iowa
11. Arkansa
12. Texas
13. South Dakota
14. Nevada
15. New York

NY tests more than all of these states both total tests and tests per capita.

If you look at the data excluding March and April (that is Covid data since May; since June; or since July) then you see that once NY flattened the curve by mid-May these other states started to see surging viral spread, especially after Memorial Day weekend. Many of these states simply ignored the painful lessons that we learned in the Northeast during March and April.

I am, however, glad we have college football. Let's hope it remains safe and that we see a complete season.

Last edited:
It’s very obvious that the ACC (which also has teams from the south) are taking the virus more seriously. While watching the games yesterday, you see many more precautions along the sidelines at ACC games. Teams also try to stay away from each other after the game and the coaches don’t interact after the game. Many coaches and personnel at SEC games are not wearing masks on the sidelines. This virus is going to take at least another year to subside because there too many selfish people not willing to do what’s necessary to try a end it. Last weeks ceremony at the Rose Garden is a perfect example. The president at Notre Dame was there with no mask and contracted the virus. No wonder ND has 18 cases on their football team. The president doesn’t even take it seriously. The faculty at ND are calling for his resignation. We already know Kelly doesn’t take the welfare of his players seriously. Leadership matters! You can thank SU players for demanding extra testing and they forced the ACC to take them seriously. Doing the tough things are not easy, but they have to be done to conquer this virus.

not the college towns themselves but towns where fans are drawn from.
Another misconception. Sure, some fans come from small towns and it varies depending on the school, but probably not much different than the Syracuse area. Athens is an hour from Atlanta. Knoxville has a larger population than Syracuse, is an hour from Chattanooga which is also larger than Syracuse, and is three hours from Nashville. Lexington has a population of over 300,000. Tuscaloosa has a polulation of 100,000 and is only an hour from Birmingham which has 200,000. Auburn is smaller, similar to Clemson but is only an hour from Montgomery which has 370,000, 90 minutes from atlanta, and 2 hours from Birmingham.

Sure, none of these places are NYC but to suggest everyone is living in a rural area without mass transit or other areas where people congregate is false. They are similar misconceptions to what I run into down here where everyone thinks the whole state on NY is like NYC, when I tell them I'm from Syracuse.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that they're morons for not wearing masks while needlessly going to a game they could watch on TV.

Was at the game last night. Tickets were in groups of 4. had about 8 seats in between each group and 2 rows. I take Covid pretty seriously and felt pretty safe. Stadium felt empty (I know the tv makes it seem different). Felt no different than eating outside at a restaurant

Another misconception. Sure, some fans come from small towns and it varies depending on the school, but probably not much different than the Syracuse area. Athens is an hour from Atlanta. Knoxville has a larger population than Syracuse, is an hour from Chattanooga which is also larger than Syracuse, and is three hours from Nashville. Lexington has a population of over 300,000. Tuscaloosa has a polulation of 100,000 and is only an hour from Birmingham which has 200,000. Auburn is smaller, similar to Clemson but is only an hour from Montgomery which has 370,000, 90 minutes from atlanta, and 2 hours from Birmingham.

Sure, none of these places are NYC but to suggest everyone is living in a rural area without mass transit or other areas where people congregate is false. They are similar misconceptions to what I run into down here where everyone thinks the whole state on NY is like NYC, when I tell them I'm from Syracuse.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that they're morons for not wearing masks while needlessly going to a game they could watch on TV.

nyc has the highest population density in the us. That likely contributed to the spread initially.

I understand there are big southern cities and Atlanta has Marta. But there are likely fans from smaller towns who without a mass congregation would be much more likely to not get infected in their daily routines. The same thing would happen up in the north.

I was speaking to the overall population density issues with stadium events.

These fans are all over each other. If there is an outbreak it’s all on the SEC Commissioner.
No. That's up to the governor of each state. SEC can only allow what the state allows.
Also, the schools could disallow attendance, enforce masks, further limit attendance, etc.

Was at the game last night. Tickets were in groups of 4. had about 8 seats in between each group and 2 rows. I take Covid pretty seriously and felt pretty safe. Stadium felt empty (I know the tv makes it seem different). Felt no different than eating outside at a restaurant
Maybe where you sat but are you saying the groups of like 40 that were hugging and kissing without masks after every positive Georgia play that we watched on tv was a camera trick?

Maybe where you sat but are you saying the groups of like 40 that were hugging and kissing without masks after every positive Georgia play that we watched on tv was a camera trick?

my view looking down from the 300 section
1ACB4324-ACD5-4E38-840D-A3C74431F2F8.jpeg

I live just north of Atlanta. Just from what I see, the prevalent attitude here is enough is enough with the fear and isolation, time to get on with life. Just saying what I see here, whether you agree or disagree with that.
If they allowed it, I guarantee you that stadium would have been at capacity or close to it last night

nyc has the highest population density in the us. That likely contributed to the spread initially.

I understand there are big southern cities and Atlanta has Marta. But there are likely fans from smaller towns who without a mass congregation would be much more likely to not get infected in their daily routines. The same thing would happen up in the north.

I understand what you were saying. Your generaization about people not being in situations to congregate outside of a sporting event was inaccurate. Everywhere in the country is different than NYC, so it doesn't make sense for that to be the standard since everywhere else is rural in comparison.

You strongly implied in your first post that most of the people at that game come from rural areas. That's wrong. I'll say it again. There were likely far fewer fans at that game from small towns than you think. Most of the people there were likely bigger donors since they probably gave them the first shot at attending. which means it is likely many/most live in the city or suburbs and work in office environments.

I'm for minimizing exposure so, to me, it doesn't make sense to go to events like this. I'm don't know if being in an office where studies show droplets linger in greater concentration longer is worse or better than being in an outdoor stadium. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Density had nothing to do with it. Korea is more dense than NYC.

I thought this was a game thread. Became yet another virus discussion thread mixed with more politics.

OrangeXtreme can an official virus thread be set up?

l have lived in the South since the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst (never left!). NC for 19 years and now SC 2 years.
There is a big difference between the 2. NC is ACC country while SC is SEC.

North Carolina is a purple state for national elections. South Carolina is as red as it gets.

NC cities like Charlotte and even Raleigh are fairly moderate. NC has 100 counties mostly rural and very conservative Trump country. NC legislature is Republican.

NC Lt Gov (R) sued Democrat Gov Roy Cooper over his Covid restrictions. (Later dropped.)

We live near the state line and can report that masks are much more prevelant in NC than here in SC.

On Friday restaurants will go to 100% occupancy. Stay tuned.

[/QUOTE]

A little perspective from someone who has lived 45 years in Georgia and currently lives outside the Atlanta area but near Athens. First regarding the population. Athens is definitely a college town and has no city vibe like Syracuse. It does have a 127K population, but that includes everyone living in Clarke County, Georgia, because Athens and Clarke County have a unified government and boundary (however, Georgia counties are smaller than New York counties and Clarke County is one of the smaller ones - much smaller geographically than Onondaga County).
Secondly, Georgia football games draw many folks from metro Atlanta, but it also draws many folks from every city and town in the state, metro and rural, so you get a real cross-section of the state at every game. To the extent that folks do not follow protocol, a lot of spreading could occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom