Auburn got screwed | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Auburn got screwed

I have no problem with the foul call. The guy on Auburn is a moron.

Now, the double dribble...

I have a problem with the call in the sense that UVA has defended that way all year, as well as physical pressure at the top of the key with guards, and are never penalized for it. Essentially, I'm 100% sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, that would've not been called. The Jerome missed DD is just par for the course. I've come to really dislike that guy during the tournament as I've seen him rewarded time after time for shoving his defenders (and getting calls) and lowering his shoulder to initiate all sorts of contact (and getting calls). He, to me, embodies so much that's wrong with the way the college game is officiated.

All of that said, good for UVA. Guy and Hunter are so very good and to overcome two massive choke jobs in 2 years and almost complete a third only to wind up in a likely trophy-hoisting situation, I can't help but feel good for the team and TB.

Sure. But ultimately it’s about playing good defense. Some people post like the very idea of man to man is some indestructible force field for not giving up 3’s.
Then why didn’t JB just stick with the zone on that play?

i'm not sure why any contact after release is a shooting foul. laws of physics say once it's left the hand no amount of contact to the shooter alters the ball's flight path or trajectory . should be a common foul. imo.
It's all part of the shooting motion, and it's a safety issue as well. By your theory, any contact on a layup after the ball leaves the hand, is not an +1

Then why didn’t JB just stick with the zone on that play?

Because he did what he thought would work based on the situation?

I would guess he thought there wasn’t enough time for his guys to lose anybody on a screen/switch(a very real risk in man to man), and it was easiest to just match up and then guard the line and the shooters from there?

Every school in that conference is obsessed with being in that conference. It’s like a religion. They might as well call it the Confederate Conference.

Tell you what, when Cuse gets a big win I’m not rushing to lump the rest of our conference in with our success. In fact, I want them to root against us and be mad when we win.

Tell you what, when Cuse gets a big win I’m not rushing to lump the rest of our conference in with our success. In fact, I want them to root against us and be mad when we win.
SU would have to change its name to "Duke II" for that to happen.

Wow talk about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat in a matter of minutes.

How do these people not have the awareness to pay enough attention to know a foul was called??

Reminds me of when CJ Fair was called for the charge against Duke. Some Cuse fan at the bar was jumping around celebrating for like 15 seconds before he finally realized why everybody else was pissed.

SMH. Clueless.

How do these people not have the awareness to pay enough attention to know a foul was called??

Reminds me of when CJ Fair was called for the charge against Duke. Some Cuse fan at the bar was jumping around celebrating for like 15 seconds before he finally realized why everybody else was pissed.

SMH. Clueless.

It really is amazing but you have to remember this is Auburn. Most of their fans only realized they had a basketball team a week ago.

It really is amazing but you have to remember this is Auburn. Most of their fans only realized they had a basketball team a week ago.
Thats fine and I don't really dont feel sorry for their fans or Pearl, but they got a raw deal.

Thats fine and I don't really dont feel sorry for their fans or Pearl, but they got a raw deal.

Shoot better than 38% from the field and 29% from 3 and it's not in the referees hands. Always easy to blame someone else - and I'm not saying I never have - but...

It's all part of the shooting motion, and it's a safety issue as well. By your theory, any contact on a layup after the ball leaves the hand, is not an +1
exactly . once the shot leaves the hand common foul by my standard. we already give the offense continuation by rule. aka contact before release. that can change mechanics. contact afterwards ? doesn't affect the shot at all. safety? that argument doesn't fly. still whistled just not a shooting foul. imo.

Last edited:
i know that fouls after it leaves the hand dont effect the shot, but if you start allowing fouls after the shot to only be common fouls you will really start to leave guys open to some pretty aggresive fouling to try and get in their heads.

Yeah...we haven’t been beating these ACC teams enough to work up any anger in them.

Most of the Big East was not rooting for us in the tournament. I miss that.

You mean the last 5 seasons conference records of 9-9's 8-10's & 10-8's isn't enough to create that angst we had come to known. ;):(

not surprised they missed the double dribble.. i saw 3-4 over and backs get missed during the tourney too and they just completely ignore all the lane violations these days

Pretty sure that Jerome was in the lane early on his missed FT at the end of regulation against Purdue.

You mean the last 5 seasons conference records of 9-9's 8-10's & 10-8's isn't enough to create that angst we had come to known. ;):(

We started like 11-0 or something our first year. We beat Duke, we hammered UNC at the Dome. I really thought we were going to win the league our first year and establish ourself as a prime rival for UNC and Duke.

i know that fouls after it leaves the hand dont effect the shot, but if you start allowing fouls after the shot to only be common fouls you will really start to leave guys open to some pretty aggresive fouling to try and get in their heads.
think about this statement. why foul if it don't change the shot ? damage done. the truly aggressive fouls ( at least how i was taught in the wes unseld school of mugging ) the point is not to let the shot be released period. hammer time. those are the hard fouls and the ones most whistled intentional. a pound of prevention.

imagine if they had called the foul on virginia and there was a ton of contact on that last shot too.

Because he did what he thought would work based on the situation?

I would guess he thought there wasn’t enough time for his guys to lose anybody on a screen/switch(a very real risk in man to man), and it was easiest to just match up and then guard the line and the shooters from there?

So you mean sometimes switching defenses is beneficial? I’ve heard otherwise on this board

So you mean sometimes switching defenses is beneficial? I’ve heard otherwise on this board

Can be. I’m not a 100% zone 100% of the time no matter what guy.

I’m also not a “just go tight man to man and shut em down” guy who thinks it’s just that easy. Some of these guys act like this stuff is a pickup game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom