Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT)

There's not a single brave soul who wants to admit they were wrong about UConn last year? Is that the elephant in the thread? :)

After they got into the round of 16 I remember thinking about the Kemba Walker team, and sayng to myself, "Oh please God, tell me this isn't going to happen again ... "

:eek:

I thought that Billy Owens was going to be one of the all time greats. Bird 2.0
I thought Leo Rautins was going to be a solid NBA player. Close to all-star level.
I thought Pearl would dominate the NBA like he did every other level of basketball prior to that.
what was the question again?

Cooney would go hot then inconsistency would occur in conference play.

Uconns a strong contender for the 2013 ncaa championship.

Wait...

Jk but for one

I did suggest that loeb player over hunt

I thought that Syracuse should make sure that Steve Alford didn't take the shot at the end of the game.

I thought Lawrence Phillips and Ki-Jana Carter were both going to be All-pro caliber RBs.

I thought that Syracuse had a shot at Clemson last year.

I am a Toronto Blue Jays, Buffalo Sabres and Miami Dolphins fan.

I thought that Syracuse had a shot at Clemson last year.

I am a Toronto Blue Jays, Buffalo Sabres and Miami Dolphins fan.
Explanation for Clemson comment now understood.

Wait...

Jk but for one

I do remember you saying UConn had a chance last year so I do give you props for that. I did think Napier would be dominate but Boatright would bring them down.

Texting on a phone was just a fad.

Roosevelt Bouie would be a defensive force in the NBA

Winfred Walton was the second coming of DC

G Rob was going to bring Syracuse football back!!

I didn't vote for him in 2008 but I thought okay (after he won) maybe Obama will improve race relations.

Syracuse LAX would win a NC every other year.

And finally, Michael Jordan would do for the White Sox what he did for the Bulls.

(okay there are many more but this is off the top of my head) ;)

Last edited:
Perry patterson is the best qb ever.

A few of my own Faux Pas's:

I never thought Jimmy would be in the hoops program for five decades

I remember reading about the Pearl and dreaming that he might come to the Cuse never really thinking it would happen.

I never thought Pearl's successor would outdo him (Sherm).

I never thought Rony would get to the level of giving Patrick a run for his money.

I never thought both Jerami & Tyler would leave this year.

I never thought we could win a title with Forth in the middle at least not until we actually got to the FF.

I never thought Wallace would drop to the Knicks in that draft, and I thought he would have been a better pro.

I never thought losing out on Hodge would be one of the best things that ever happened to Cuse hoops.

Wait...

Jk but for one

And don't forget you predicted JB would rip off his jacket over a bad call at the Duke away game.

I will keep mine to just about Syracuse

I thought Troy Nunes was going to have a monster career at su.

I thought for sure that we were going to be a bubble team for the 02-03 season.

I thought Paul Harris was going to be one of the best players in the history of su bball.

I thought for sure that the 2005 team was final four bound.

I thought Andy Rautins was just on the roster because of his dad for a while.

I think that game is the most devastating SU non-NCAA tourney loss of the past 15-20 years.

Certainly a contender.
Two seasons ago we had 3 games that rival it.
The two regular season games against G-town and the BE tournament final against Louisville.
Louisville game is the most shocking Orange collapse in the Boeheim head coaching era.

Back on topic:

I thought...where are you going to find a better front court than Nichols, McNeil, Roberts & Watkins. And, oh yes, Forth? That has all-time potential.

Elvir Ovcina should play the 2

And I never understood all the hype over James Harden at Arizona State.

Last edited:
I thought GMac lost us the game against Texas A&M. I actually bitched about it on here. This is after his heroics in the BET. I looked at one game at the end of his career and ripped him for it, not understanding how injured he was. I had tunnel vision that night and didn't look at his career, just that one game and went off on him on the board. I think it was bees, and quite a few others that lashed into me on that one (rightly so). I probably didn't post for a year. Still feel like an a$$ for that one.

Certainly a contender.
Two seasons ago we had 3 games that rival it.
The two regular season games against G-town and the BE tournament final against Louisville.
Louisville game is the most shocking Orange collapse in the Boeheim head coaching era.

But that Louisville game really didn't affect anything - if we won we would have been a 3 seed, but we lost and were a 4 seed, and we went to the Final Four anyway.

That 2000 BET loss to G'town dropped us to a 4 seed in Michigan State's region - by far the worst case scenario. If we had won that game and gone on to win a very weak Big East tourney, that SU team could have been a 2 seed and made a strong push to a Final Four.

I thought Carlos Beltran would get a hit off Wainwright.

I thought Gregg Jefferies would complete year in and out with Strawberry for the NL MVP and World Series MVPs for the Mets.

I though the Giants were cooked with Hostetler.

I thought Charles Smith could dunk.
i saw charles smith at dinner a couple of weeks ago. it was one of those restaurants where the bomb-bay doors open up to the street and everyone gets air, but i was inside a bit, on the wall...when my buddy who was sitting next to me goes 'hey, thats charles smith' who was then outside walking to his car...i immedietly stood up and got ready to run over to him, but was blocked in by a waitress who had the audacity to be serving a nearby table.

when i sat down my wife goes 'where were you going and what were you planning to do?'.

i said, ive been waiting over 20 years to ask that basterd why he didnt dunk the damn ball and that was the closest ive ever come and i Fn missed it, just like him.

needless to say conversation at table between the gents shifted to the 90s Knicks for a about an hour.

Last edited:
Apparently I'm not the only one who was sure that Nichols/Roberts/Watkins would be a juggernaut. To be fair, they showed so many flashes of potential early on.

I remember leaving the Dome in Nov. 2003 after our first exhibition and thinking that Roberts was the next Derrick Coleman. He looked just like him, could run the floor, hit a couple medium range J's - I was so excited.

But that Louisville game really didn't affect anything - if we won we would have been a 3 seed, but we lost and were a 4 seed, and we went to the Final Four anyway.

That 2000 BET loss to G'town dropped us to a 4 seed in Michigan State's region - by far the worst case scenario. If we had won that game and gone on to win a very weak Big East tourney, that SU team could have been a 2 seed and made a strong push to a Final Four.

Two of the number one seeds lost in the first weekend, the other one lost in the sweet sixteen. The final four was two 8 seeds, a five seed, and Michigan State.

We could have been a four seed in ANY other region...

I also remember watching Syracuse fall behind by seventeen to Memphis at the Tullys on Erie Blvd back in Novemeber 2002 and thinking about how fortunate we'd be to get into the NIT.

Two of the number one seeds lost in the first weekend, the other one lost in the sweet sixteen. The final four was two 8 seeds, a five seed, and Michigan State.

We could have been a four seed in ANY other region...

I also remember watching Syracuse fall behind by seventeen to Memphis at the Tullys on Erie Blvd back in Novemeber 2002 and thinking about how fortunate we'd be to get into the NIT.

Good call about that Memphis game. While I don't remember anything specifically, I'm almost positive I said several things that would be appropriate for this thread.

I remember leaving the Dome in Nov. 2003 after our first exhibition and thinking that Roberts was the next Derrick Coleman. He looked just like him, could run the floor, hit a couple medium range J's - I was so excited.

Same.

Holy crap, I was on cloud nine after that exhibition. Roberts could do everything.