Babers fired according to Thamel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Babers fired according to Thamel

Didn’t think they had the balls to do it
I was sure they had the balls to do it. I wasn’t sure they had the judgement to do it.

We are guaranteed our 6th non-winning regular season in 8 years. We are guaranteed our 7th non-winning ACC record in 8 years and,at best, our 5th (I think) 2-6 ACC record in 8 years

This tells me we expect more than a mediocre to bottom feeder program in our conference. Happy to see it.

Not a day to celebrate but long overdue. Dino gave us some memories…most long ago now…and he became a very wealthy man in the process.

Time to get some pride and excitement back. Go Orange.

Don't think the problem was Dino at all. The problem is SU's standing in the college football heirarchy.

A northeastern private school that had a glorious football tradition, but which has become increasingly limited in terms of its football potential.

Yes, hope springs eternal. But I don't think we're likely to be any more relevant with a new coach than we are right now. All the best to Dino. He tried his best, he had some success, but ultimately ran up against the new realities of big-time college football.
I don’t disagree too much, but when you commit penalties every week, mismanage the clock, and turtle up on fourth down you are incapable of getting the most you can out of your program.

Last edited:
Don't think the problem was Dino at all. The problem is SU's standing in the college football heirarchy.

A northeastern private school that had a glorious football tradition, but which has become increasingly limited in terms of its football potential.

Yes, hope springs eternal. But I don't think we're likely to be any more relevant with a new coach than we are right now. All the best to Dino. He tried his best, he had some success, but ultimately ran up against the new realities of big-time college football.

How do you explain New Mexico State beating Auburn by 3 TDs? They don't get anywhere near the recruits Syracuse does yet they can come away with a win like that. I know Auburn is down (still decent though) but do you think we'd beat them by 3 TDs?

Babers was a problem. Coaching is the equalizer to having slightly worse recruiting classes.

Last edited:

Really well said. When the university wrote the program off nearly three decades ago, this wasn't going to be fixed in a matter of seasons. He should have left in 2018 with his reputation still intact. As Urban Meyer told him and David Hale notes, you cannot win here because of how limited they are.

The loss yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back and the "fans" of this program got a head for their pike. Reality is about to punch you all in the chest, because this is a place you cannot win at. Marrone realized that and left for greener pastures, Shafer found out the hard way they cannot compete in the ACC and Babers was hit with COVID then NIL.

Throw our name on the carousel!!

There are a number of problems of which Dino isn’t immune to being one.

There are a LOT of good candidates out there and for some reason I actually think they will make the right choice this time. I dunno why, but there just seems to be far more options this time around. If they were paying Babers over 4m like they were, they can get a stud for that number. Let the madness begin

michael strahan football GIF by FOX Sports: Watch. Enjoy. Repeat.
Come on down!

Had to be done. He seemed like a good hire and it was the right move to extend him at the time. He’s a good representative of the university, but the football program has simply atrophied to the point where I didn’t know when, where or who we were playing yesterday. That simply couldn’t continue. Enjoy retirement in Hawaii, Dino.
If we are ever fortunate enough again to seriously consider extending a coach, I hope the buyout can be a little more dynamic & performance based.

Dino had cost us multiple games with his clock and game management.

Yes, I think we'll probably never get back to our heights of the 90s, but we haven't even been remotely competitive. He did absolutely nothing to help himself (and our 1 good season was on the back of Dungey, who he didn't even recruit)

Definitely needed to be done, just hoping to buy out of the contract doesn't hinder the amount of money a University can spend on the next head coach. Heard its sizable, but thats just a rumor

I was sure they had the balls to do it. I wasn’t sure they had the judgement to do it.

We are guaranteed our 6th non-winning regular season in 8 years. We are guaranteed our 7th non-winning ACC record in 8 years and,at best, our 5th (I think) 2-6 ACC record in 8 years

This tells me we expect more than a mediocre to bottom feeder program in our conference. Happy to see it.

Not a day to celebrate but long overdue. Dino gave us some memories…most long ago now…and he became a very wealthy man in the process.

Well said Dick. This is really my perspective too. Had Dino stayed on the trajectory he started I’d happily still want him to be coach. Never thrilled to see someone lose their job but when they aren’t acting with competence it’s a necessary evil.

And trying to blame everything on the administration or the changing landscape of football is myopic.

Well said. It's not something to celebrate. But, whether we can do it or not, shows that we do want to have a winning program.

Wildhack's first football coaching search should be fascinating.

Right move but still sad. I'm only old enough to really appreciate this firing and Shafer. Oddly existential for me. I remember being at the Christmas tree farm, being so excited for this hire. Here's to the next chapter.

Don’t forget the waiver of the 25 player signing limit ends after the 2024 signing recruiting class. I assume we will lose a bunch of players to the portal so it’s the perfect time to bring in a new coach because he can bring in more than 25 players next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom