Babers is killing it in this press conference | Syracusefan.com

Babers is killing it in this press conference

Agreed. His plan to build a foundation of bigs so they have time to develop has sold me. He gets it. Now...whether the Tampa 2 will work is another discussion all together.

Much different than Shafer's NSD events. Shafer would go one by one on each commit. This was more short and to the point.

Impressive.

This guy is going to jazz up the fanbase and the casual CNY fans.
thats the job that every new coach MUST DO They must "jazz up the fan baseband sell tickets. Playing Colgate in the opener should be an easy win but Dino has to sell his style hard to get those tickets sold of the Friday evening game.

As not someone who follows football recruiting, I still love this day as much as anyone. Babers certainly seems like the real deal and makes a great impression. Also I'd like to give a shout out to Time Warner. Those guys are doing a great job with their recruiting special. Thank you as a fan.

Agreed. His plan to build a foundation of bigs so they have time to develop has sold me. He gets it. Now...whether the Tampa 2 will work is another discussion all together.
It worked for the Chicago Bears in the 2000s.

Now...whether the Tampa 2 will work is another discussion all together.
Or whether the offense will work or whether these guys can recruit at a sustainable level or if Babers and Co can coach at this level, etc. It's way, way, way, way too early to write off a defensive scheme.

I thought his explanation for not having a single NY recruit was fair. The quality prospects like Jamir and Zembiec were already committed. Babers didnt want to take a chance on a kid who would stand on the sideline and not contribute. I The 2017 class will be like a extension 2016. I expect him to go after the big fish in the NY/NYC/NJ in 2017 once they establish those relationships. Hopefully NYS coaches will trust him and not brush him off.

LeMoyneCuse said:
Or whether the offense will work or whether these guys can recruit at a sustainable level or if Babers and Co can coach at this level, etc. It's way, way, way, way too early to write off a defensive scheme.
He's shown he can coach at this level. His BGSU team this year would have beaten us by two tds. I think they would have had 7-8 wins with our schedule.

Results,

Idc what he says, last guy had us fooled as well.

Love all of the pressers that I've seen at SU & BGSU. No idea how he'd be in bad times... don't want to find out.

Results,

You mean the guy with no head coaching experience who hired an OC with a questionable resume. Not quite sure I'm making the comparison with Babers. Maybe you could walk me through it.

I thought his explanation for not having a single NY recruit was fair. The quality prospects like Jamir and Zembiec were already committed. Babers didnt want to take a chance on a kid who would stand on the sideline and not contribute. I The 2017 class will be like a extension 2016. I expect him to go after the big fish in the NY/NYC/NJ in 2017 once they establish those relationships. Hopefully NYS coaches will trust him and not brush him off.

And pretty good explanation about having a difficult time trying to get true evaluations of players that they were unfamiliar with (can't remember if su press conference or the skout interview where he mentioned it). It appears that this fit the Riggins situation where there was no tape of him at linebacker and they didn't have a live camp evaluation like the former staff so they wanted to go with guys they were more comfortable with and had made their own first hand evaluations of.

Results,

I don't think anyone questioned Schaefer's love for the program. He, to me, did not seem to ever enjoy himself as much as Babers. I can see why Babers gets recruits his excitement is quite overt and and contagious.

I loved every second of it. He is truly excited about this program and it shows.
Of course he is excited.Syracuse University was a big name in college football.I'm not sure that Bowling Green ever was. Turning this program back into national relevance could propel Dino to even higher levels of head coaching opportunities. This is a huge opportunity for him and his staff. i'm sure he is excited and should be. The start of this coming season will be anticipated more than just a little.While filling the Dome still won't be easy the first crowd needs to be better than what normally might be expected for an opener against Colgate.

Results,

There was nothing deceptive about SS's public statements or approach to the game. He was honest, open and (of course) positive about the program. Just because we we didn't win doesn't mean that he didn't work his butt off or care about the kids. To the contrary, the kids liked him and pushed for his hire. He also understood the value of bringing in recruits who could "play school" (unlike many other P5 programs). This is often lost in the flurry of "star" discussions around signing day.

I heard nothing from Shaffer that was out of the HCing norm for pride and optimism. He didn't come into a great situation .. with DM gutting the staff and SU struggling to catch up to other ACC teams .. (we're still catching up). Also, Shaffer was a defensive coach and either didn't recruit well enough or didn't take advantage of our personnel, or both. There were also tons of injuries -- he was playing 3d, 4th and 5th options. So I tip my hat to the guy, and wish him the best.

DB, by contrast, is more of an offensive guru -- in the Briles mold. He has a system that is very successful. To be 3d or 4th in the nation out of the MAC is pretty impressive. So there's lots to be excited about .. without trashing the former staff.

Last edited:
There was nothing deceptive about SS's public statements or approach to the game. He was honest, open and (of course) positive about the program. Just because we we didn't win doesn't mean that he didn't work his butt off or care about the kids. To the contrary, the kids liked him and pushed for his hire. He also understood the value of bringing in recruits who could "play school" (unlike many other P5 programs). This is often lost in the flurry of "star" discussions around signing day.

I heard nothing from Shaffer that was out of the HCing norm for pride and optimism. He didn't come into a great situation .. with DM gutting the staff and SU struggling to catch up to other ACC teams .. (we're still catching up). Also, Shaffer was a defensive coach and either didn't recruit well enough or didn't take advantage of our personnel, or both. There were also tons of injuries -- he was playing 3d, 4th and 5th options. So I tip my hat to the guy, and wish him the best.

DB, by contrast, is more of an offensive guru -- in the Briles mold. He has a system that is very successful. To be 3d or 4th in the nation out of the MAC is pretty impressive. So there's lots to be excited about .. without trashing the former staff.
Shafer's defensive approach even took a hit this past year. It seemed to me that the blitzing attack wads lessened a great deal this past season. I found that odd in light of his job on the line and eventually it cost him that. I like offense to help the defense by keeping them off the field enough togive the Da chance for a breather. Both sides of the ball are required for a winning program. I'm relatively sure Dino knows this. I'm curious about the defensive philosophy. I did agree with Shafer initially that blitzing resulting in QB pressure is effective except when done to the extreme and the opponents coach takes advantage of this tactic and designs plays to take those blitz players out of position for some plays resulting in big plays against the Orange. I know Dino is a forward pass kind of coach but I hope the running game isn't lost. I love the big run game. Having grown up watching some great backs at Syracuse,I still find the approach or play fun.

i to have grown up with su,(and the parochial league hoops) that said --we have changed, and hopefully so. the game has changed--it has passed me by. to me the game is speed, tackling,pressure and coverage--but i am old school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom