Babers said no to Purdy | Syracusefan.com

Babers said no to Purdy

IMG_0079.jpeg

I think the thing with Purdy and Cuse was, that one of our analysts was really pushing the staff to bring him in. I believe it was the older guy or his son who was also on staff (don't recall their names) - they had identified Purdy early on.

It happened with one other kid who ended up doing well elsewhere also.

You have to figure though, when you see hundreds of kids who are similar skillets in high school, inevitable that some fall through the crack.

Not like Babers turned down Colt Brennan.

what an amazing chain of events there if it's true
“UW assistant David Brown was impressed with what he saw from Allen at Reedley and told Vigen to come take a look. The Cowboys already believed they had their quarterback of the future in tow, Eric Dungey from Oregon. Dungey’s recruitment blew up late, however, and he ended up at Syracuse. There was suddenly room to take a quarterback.”

“UW assistant David Brown was impressed with what he saw from Allen at Reedley and told Vigen to come take a look. The Cowboys already believed they had their quarterback of the future in tow, Eric Dungey from Oregon. Dungey’s recruitment blew up late, however, and he ended up at Syracuse. There was suddenly room to take a quarterback.”

that is incredible, did not know that! Thanks a million for that mind-bender post! Unbelievable!

H
I think the thing with Purdy and Cuse was, that one of our analysts was really pushing the staff to bring him in. I believe it was the older guy or his son who was also on staff (don't recall their names) - they had identified Purdy early on.

You have to figure though, when you see hundreds of kids who are similar skillets in high school, inevitable that some fall through the crack.

He's no Tommy Cutlets

The story that was posted here several years ago was that SU had at least a couple of QB's on campus at the same time, and that they offered Chance Amie and passed on Purdy.
Oof

The story that was posted here several years ago was that SU had at least a couple of QB's on campus at the same time, and that they offered Chance Amie and passed on Purdy.
And this is only my opinion, but knowing what they had on the OL made them pursue a more mobile prospect.

Heck, Dungey was either a really big Amie fan, or he really hated Devito

There was a pretty good story on ESPN a while back that talked about how he got drafted last. Shanahan insisted this guy was a gem and potential star and the 49ers staff was pissed and wanted depth at multiple positions . Shanahan knew if they didn’t draft him he was signing elsewhere. He is also rumored to have told the staff that it would likely enable them to trade Lance who they had literally just signed…crazy foresight

They literally hired him to evaluate kids and he had years and years of scouting but Babers said no. Why hire the guy then. Blows my mind.

It really shouldn't. Kids get missed on every day.
Yeah. I can't beat on a dead horse too much here.

Much like Dungey really receiving no interest out west outside Wyoming, Purdy really had no interest from programs in the Southwest or West Coast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom