Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarification, we have been having the false start problem for a few years, even with a Senior QB in Ryan. Against Northwestern we had 4 false starts, so its a problem we've had for awhile.
Not one offensive coach from that staff was involved with the team last year. Yes, some of the players (Hickey, Trudo) were around for both.

Fixing what though? Are we really that inept that we need to fix basic high school JV football concepts?
Yes, I think it is obvious. Lester is trying to show Bailey and extension the fanbase that he corrected a flaw in our OL last year. However, either he honestly doesn't get how this makes him and the OL coach look slow for not fixing it last year or he is being taken out of context. I don't get how after Lester was the OC for half the season last year this couldn't be worked on in during the bye week we had last year.

It looks more and more like the coaches were asleep at the end of the year and just didn't give their best effort. Players need coaching. I am sorry if the freaking OL coach can't take in practice teach these techniques how about during film watch. Couldn't the coaches show them what they were doing wrong.

How anyone can have confidence in our offensive operation right now is really an eternal idealist and not a realist.

Last edited:
rosconey said:
kind of half azzed answer i would expect from a koolaid drinker- i want the team to succeed -to say otherwise shows massive amounts of ignorance but since i dont have faith in a staff that has shown close to zero on offense for 2 seasons im a baaaaaaad maaaan

Naw. You're foolish because you criticize without explanation. It comes off as overtly negative and largely uninformed. I supply reasons for my optimism and you shoot them down with insults - furthering my opinion that there's not a lot of thought or insight going into what you write.

For example. Our first year of offense under Shafer felt pretty bad - until you factor in that it ranked the second best in total offense in the last 7. Only 2nd to Nassibs senior season.

SUFan44 said:
Pulled directly from the article: The unit was asked to do three up-downs for each false start, Lester said with a chuckle. "They do it now the moment I blow the whistle they do, then pop up and run the play," Lester said. "It's hilarious." Despite going off one snap count in each game last season, the Orange offensive line wasn't among the nation's worst at allowing sacks. The unit, which was forced to use 10 players over the course of the season, gave up two sacks per game, tied for 56th worst in the nation.

That's not a quote. Are we sure Bailey knows the difference?

Alsacs said:
Yes, I think it is obvious. Lester is trying to show Bailey and extension the fanbase that he corrected a flaw in our OL last year. However, either he honestly doesn't get how this makes him and the OL coach look slow for not fixing it last year or he is being taken out of context. I don't get how after Lester was the OC for half the season last year this couldn't be worked on in during the bye week we had last year. It looks more and more like the coaches were asleep at the end of the year and just didn't give their best effort. Players need coaching. I am sorry if the freaking OL coach can't take in practice teach these techniques how about during film watch. Couldn't the coaches show them what they were doing wrong. How anyone who can have confidence in our offensive operation right now really is an eternal idealist and not a realist.

I'd bet he was misquoted and Bailey doesn't understand the difference between cadence and snap count.

I'd bet he was misquoted and Bailey doesn't understand the difference between cadence and snap count.
I am sure you bet that. I am being fair and presenting both sides in my statement. I do think though Lester after the radio interview and this article would be best served to stop talking to the media till the games on the field.

Nothing he can say will help him. Only producing on the field will alleviate people's opinions.

Naw. You're foolish because you criticize without explanation. It comes off as overtly negative and largely uninformed. I supply reasons for my optimism and you shoot them down with insults - furthering my opinion that there's not a lot of thought or insight going into what you write.

For example. Our first year of offense under Shafer felt pretty bad - until you factor in that it ranked the second best in total offense in the last 7. Only 2nd to Nassibs senior season.
LOL are you serious- the last seven=another lame way to make things look better than they really are -

I am sure you bet that. I am being fair and presenting both sides in my statement. I do think though Lester after the radio interview and this article would be best served to stop talking to the media till the games on the field.

Nothing he can say will help him. Only producing on the field will alleviate people's opinions.
As I said in another piece which you choose to ignore, we have been having false starts for some time, back when Doug was coach. The Northwestern game in 2012, with a Senior QB in Ryan, we had 4 false starts. The players then, and now have to accept some responsibility.

As I said in another piece which you choose to ignore, we have been having false starts for some time, back when Doug was coach. The Northwestern game in 2012, with a Senior QB in Ryan, we had 4 false starts. The players then, and now have to accept some responsibility.
As Moontan already told you that was the previous coaching staff. That staff got killed for all the dumb penalties the players made. However, nobody in their right mind would ever suggest Doug Marrone or staff wouldn't prepare the kids properly.

This staff's OC admitted the players couldn't learn the adjustment and basically threw the OL coach under the bus as being an awful OL coach if he wasn't being taken out of context.

I don't ignore your point I find it irrelevant because Doug Marrone's team DIDN'T HAVE 1 CADENCE and Marrone wouldn't have been stupid enough to say that to the media. Tim Lester has a lot to prove, but he should refrain from speaking to the media the rest of the offseason as when he has opened his mouth it hasn't been helping him. Let the team's offense speak for him and if they do well people will be eating crow.

Alsacs said:
As Moontan already told you that was the previous coaching staff. That staff got killed for all the dumb penalties the players made. However, nobody in their right mind would ever suggest Doug Marrone or staff wouldn't prepare the kids properly. This staff's OC admitted the players couldn't learn the adjustment and basically threw the OL coach under the bus as being an awful OL coach if he wasn't being taken out of context. I don't ignore your point I find it irrelevant because Doug Marrone's team DIDN'T HAVE 1 CADENCE and Marrone wouldn't have been stupid enough to say that to the media. Tim Lester has a lot to prove, but he should refrain from speaking to the media the rest of the offseason as when he has opened his mouth it hasn't been helping him. Let the team's offense speak for him and if they do well people will be eating crow.

Marronesia: forgetting all the close wins and losses vs lower quality teams in favor of remembering how we were within 20 of USC once.

Alsacs said:

Yeah but seriously - all we here about is what a game planner he was/is (and I do believe that) - but it's reaching Paul Bunyan status. We had some bad losses or close calls against a lot of inferior opponents.

Yeah but seriously - all we here about is what a game planner he was/is (and I do believe that) - but it's reaching Paul Bunyan status. We had some bad losses or close calls against a lot of inferior opponents.
Oh man, Cusian you are playing a dangerous game here.

Compared to what we have seen from Gerg and SS's offensive staffs it it definitely Paul Bunyan status. In context to college football our game planning was good.

I love how you pile on Marronesia and yet don't hold Shafer to the same standard.

I wonder why Marrone is reaching Paul Bunyan status.
Note: I didn't want to bring this SS into this you did TheCusian by taking shots at Marrone. I wasn't Marrone's biggest fan, but in retrospect I would say he has no interest in recruiting but can coach. Listen to SS at 6:45 talk about toughness it is laughable when you read this story about our offense only having 1 cadence.

Bill Barnwell RT'd the TNIAAM article

Key difference in that most don't teams change enough and NOT at all for the whole year. I am willingly to cut the OL some slack, but we should able to switch it up on critical 3rd downs if opposing DLs are jumping the snap several plays in a row.

Compared to what we have seen from Gerg and SS's offensive staffs it it definitely Paul Bunyan status. In context to college football our game planning was good.

I love how you pile on Marronesia and yet don't hold Shafer to the same standard.

I wonder why Marrone is reaching Paul Bunyan status.
Note: I didn't want to bring this SS into this you did TheCusian by taking shots at Marrone. I wasn't Marrone's biggest fan, but in retrospect I would say he has no interest in recruiting but can coach. Listen to SS at 6:45 talk about toughness it is laughable when you read this story about our offense only having 1 cadence.

Ugh. Why did I have to relive that press conference?

I might have to stop even reading seriously anything you write anymore. This is so far to one side it's ridiculous. Marrone has been absolutely crushed on here for a number of reasons. You are absolutely insane and crazy if you want to pretend that Marrone has been held on a pedestal while poor old Shafer has been ostracized.

:bang::bat:

As Moontan already told you that was the previous coaching staff. That staff got killed for all the dumb penalties the players made. However, nobody in their right mind would ever suggest Doug Marrone or staff wouldn't prepare the kids properly.

This staff's OC admitted the players couldn't learn the adjustment and basically threw the OL coach under the bus as being an awful OL coach if he wasn't being taken out of context.

I don't ignore your point I find it irrelevant because Doug Marrone's team DIDN'T HAVE 1 CADENCE and Marrone wouldn't have been stupid enough to say that to the media. Tim Lester has a lot to prove, but he should refrain from speaking to the media the rest of the offseason as when he has opened his mouth it hasn't been helping him. Let the team's offense speak for him and if they do well people will be eating crow.
I couldn't care less what he says. If it provides entertainment value, great. Let him keep talking. The season will start soon enough.

I'm also not confident that this "debate" is even being waged on sound data. :confused:

qdawgg said:
I might have to stop even reading seriously anything you write anymore. This is so far to one side it's ridiculous. Marrone has been absolutely crushed on here for a number of reasons. You are absolutely insane and crazy if you want to pretend that Marrone has been held on a pedestal while poor old Shafer has been ostracized. :bang::bat:

Just pointing out an incongruity with the thing people hold up about Marrone (which I mostly agree with) as his greatest strength - game planning. Overall I think Marrone was a better than average offensive coach, a so-so leader, and a poor recruiter.

I was not comparing Shafer and Marrone at all. Read what I wrote.

Overall - after every revelation from last year, I'm not shocked at all. I think it's a symptom of what ailed Mcit: arrogance and "my way or the highway". Sounds like Adams and Lester wanted it changed - but were rebuffed. By the time it could be modified they were playing with a makeshift line and a 3rd string true freshman.

However - I find it odd that after the bye, it seemingly wasn't addressed? Those last 2 games seemed like white flags from that side of the ball.

Anyways - I'm disturbed that those last 2 games and yet glad that they're fixing it - along with a dozen other little to big things.

All this will go away if we hang up 35+ on the teams we should beat. Can't wait to hear all of the critical people in June praise Lester then.

Same thing happened with Hackett.

All this will go away if we hang up 35+ on the teams we should beat. Can't wait to hear all of the critical people in June praise Lester then.

Same thing happened with Hackett.
I think if we don't see more scoring than that actually it means we still have major problems on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.