Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some grade A moving the goalposts material. I mean your message does not put any responsibility on the coaching staff. Yeah so basically anyone who disagrees with your position is a spoiled brat for expecting more. That article makes other coaching staffs laugh at ours. Lester is quoted as saying we couldn't vary the snap count because our OL couldn't be coached up.
Good job making anyone who disagrees with your position a spoiled brat. Man we deserve to suck with our fanbase being so forgiving.[/

Where are the other quotes from the opposite teams or dl that agree with the assessment? Where are the quotes from the ol that admit they cldnt handle it? You are taking the article and Lester at face value. A coach as never been deceitful or coy?

So you think he could have fixed it in 5 days then ;)?
We did have a bye week before the Pitt and BC games. Also he article says it took 4 days of work. Honestly it is crazy you can read that article and not think Lester should think about not commenting till the games start.

So you think he could have fixed it in 5 days then ;)?
ummmmmm it was more like 8 stinkin weeks-

it was his job to make the offense work better-AND IT DIDNT -
our futility under his tenure was record book material-worst 5 game stretch in a decade

i swear there must be a great lake sized bottle of koolaid someplace these guys are swigging from

the excuse about him not changing the offense because it was too complex is beyond asinine-

Last edited:
Alsacs said:
SU BB deserves the benefit of the doubt. SU FB does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. Takes 35 years to finally push us into "semi-optimism" lol.

rosconey said:
ummmmmm it was more like 8 stinkin weeks- it was his job to make the offense work better-AND IT DIDNT - our futility under his tenure was record book material-worst 5 game stretch in a decade i swear there must be a great lake sized bottle of koolaid someplace these guys are swigging from the excuse about him not changing the offense because it was too complex is beyond asinine-

You have no idea of what you say. None.

You have no idea of what you say. None.
really- so it was the worlds imagination that we set a futility record last 5 games-

i just think you have so much invested in your excuse hound you cant stop hunting for excuses-

the real sad part is you have ZERO to say other than a personal attack - says a lot about you

really- so it was the worlds imagination that we set a futility record last 5 games-

i just think you have so much invested in your excuse hound you cant stop hunting for excuses-

the real sad part is you have ZERO to say other than a personal attack - says a lot about you
You say personal attacks yet you rely on the coolaide argument. Tell me where the the other team or dl agreeded with the comments? Again I have zero idea if he had motive, but it wld seem clear to me here.

rosconey said:
really- so it was the worlds imagination that we set a futility record last 5 games- i just think you have so much invested in your excuse hound you cant stop hunting for excuses- the real sad part is you have ZERO to say other than a personal attack - says a lot about you

I don't think you read - I've said - and others have said - that you cannot change offensive systems in between Saturdays. If you believe that you're a fool.

You play a game on Saturday, you have Sunday off, you practice Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday is pregame friday is a walk through. So during the season when exactly could a full offense with 30 plus plays be put in and then practice it to get it right. They cannot practice 8 hours a day. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe Lester purposefully stagnated the offense last year in order to make it look and perform terrible, cadence being a part of it. He'd blame it on McF'up. Knowing he'd be the full time full year coordinator in 2016, he could point to Y over Y statistical improvements in order to pad his resume. Possible? Yes, but not likely. Just a theory to throw out there.

I'm still amazed that other teams couldn't pick this up on tape. Really?
What's almost as amazing is that not a single fan ever picked up on it either. It's not something a fan typically thinks about but wouldn't somebody at some point said, hey, uh...has anyone else noticed that we always snap the ball one 1? You can pick it up on audio or at least read the body language of the quarterback. It's not typically difficult to see him bark a signal.

koolaid
You play a game on Saturday, you have Sunday off, you practice Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday is pregame friday is a walk through. So during the season when exactly could a full offense with 30 plus plays be put in and then practice it to get it right. They cannot practice 8 hours a day. You have no idea what you are talking about.
no you dont- the man thinks different from ole mc- so in itself is a different offense- you call different plays than ole mc and tweek it-

he was scared to change the cadence for goodness sakes and didnt think anyone who gets paid money to beat him would notice-

ive never claimed he had to put in a totally new offense- i have said he had to make the one he had work

rosconey said:
koolaid no you dont- the man thinks different from ole mc- so in itself is a different offense- you call different plays than ole mc and tweek it- he was scared to change the cadence for goodness sakes and didnt think anyone who gets paid money to beat him would notice- ive never claimed he had to put in a totally new offense- i have said he had to make the one he had work

He did change things. He did call games different. He probably thought "hey, my 3rd string true freshman QB is starting behind a makeshift line who under Mcit couldn't even stay onsides - maybe I shouldn't change too much in one of the 3 days I have them this week preparing to go into Death Valley and 80,000"

He did change things. He did call games different. He probably thought "hey, my 3rd string true freshman QB is starting behind a makeshift line who under Mc. . . . it couldn't even stay onsides - maybe I shouldn't change too much in one of the 3 days I have them this week preparing to go into Death Valley and 80,000"
I wonder what we did during our bye week? Do you even think about that. After our bye week we had the worst offensive performances of the season against Pitt and BC. I mean it would have been better to not play those games than see what we put on the field. Is that on the coaching staff?

I think Lester said in the Spring that he installed 30% of his offense in the first 4 days and was working on varying cadences on the 5th day - the OL practices that day started by them jumping offsides 27 times (!), then 13, then 7, then 3. (Imagine them jumping offsides "only" 5 times during a game.) He seems to be a very honest coach from his other comments. Also I recall reading about the new TE coach Jake Moreland from the USAF academy talking to the OL coach Adam about some blocks that Adam apparently was not familiar with (?) so I guess that feeds into some of the comments here about Adam - can't remember where that article is but may have been in a Moreland interview or comments - Moreland and Lester played on the same team (WMU) as TE and QB. With Adam uncertain and McDonald still on staff and hostile it would have made for an interesting situation so I take it at face value that the offense could not be easily changed, especially when playing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string quarterbacks. I still think the SU offense will be less offensive to fans this year.

Alsacs said:
I wonder what we did during our bye week? Do you even think about that. After our bye week we had the worst offensive performances of the season against Pitt and BC. I mean it would have been better to not play those games than see what we put on the field. Is that on the coaching staff?

Yep. I've said as such.

I think Lester said in the Spring that he installed 30% of his offense in the first 4 days and was working on varying cadences on the 5th day - the OL practices that day started by them jumping offsides 27 times (!), then 13, then 7, then 3. (Imagine them jumping offsides "only" 5 times during a game.) He seems to be a very honest coach from his other comments. Also I recall reading about the new TE coach Jake Moreland from the USAF academy talking to the OL coach Adam about some blocks that Adam apparently was not familiar with (?) so I guess that feeds into some of the comments here about Adam - can't remember where that article is but may have been in a Moreland interview or comments - Moreland and Lester played on the same team (WMU) as TE and QB. With Adam uncertain and McDonald still on staff and hostile it would have made for an interesting situation so I take it at face value that the offense could not be easily changed, especially when playing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string quarterbacks. I still think the SU offense will be less offensive to fans this year.

Well it can't get much worse...seriously though, it just doesn't need to be a little better, it needs to be a lot better. I don't think you can count on the defense carrying this team again. The offense needs to have dramatic improvements.

Yes. But don't tell anyone that thinks we always went on one.
Except, Lester said they did.

And he finds it 'hilarious' to be waisting valuable practice time to watch them do up-downs when they continue to screw up not going 'on 1'.

ALOT of red flags out there kids.

Can't say we any smoke, that's for game film...

Last edited:
He did change things. He did call games different. He probably thought "hey, my 3rd string true freshman QB is starting behind a makeshift line who under Mc. . . . it couldn't even stay onsides - maybe I shouldn't change too much in one of the 3 days I have them this week preparing to go into Death Valley and 80,000"
. With Adam uncertain and McDonald still on staff and hostile it would have made for an interesting situation so I take it at face value that the offense could not be easily changed, especially when playing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string quarterbacks. I still think the SU offense will be less offensive to fans this year.

arent caddence and snap count different things?
This story has been out for almost an entire day now, and I still haven't recovered emotionally. What a disaster.

Myriad of reasons for last year being a disaster/ offsides included:
  • GMC was not ready to be an OC . He flew all around the US last year attending practices for both NFL and other big name colleges trying to create his offense . Many believe that you don't try to fit your players to your offense but you fit your offense to your players. Supposedly, the play book last year was extremely extensive and had multiple blocking assignments which could be called at the line depending on the QB's read. We played 4 Qb's last year, each new QB has a different cadence/sound to their cadence. Sound of cadence does effect linemen added to trying to be on the same page for different blocking schemes, you got a disaster.
  • Bottom line, GMC was looking to be seen as the next hot OC in the business and spent his time trying to develop the next " Wunder Verghen" to the point that he was not willing to adjust.
  • GMC did not get along with his other coaches probably none more so than Adam to the point he would not accept their input. It was his way or the highway, until Shaf got fed up with him and put him in the dog house. GMC is a very proud man and didn't like being humbled so talked to the media then bounced. Maybe he didn't deserve it maybe he did, but there was a major rift on the O side and GMC was at the center.
  • The OL and QB position were decimated let me say it again D E C I M A T E D to the point that even Bama would struggle. If you add new QB's with different cadence calls who are in charge of lining the OL and,"through their cadence" ,direct their blocking, with players who do not have a total grasp of the offense, and add a different sounding cadence; you have a disaster "aka our offense last year". Now you add to that an OL which was picked apart by injuries to where you are playing 3 and possibly 4 stringers, with any starter left having to shift positions and playing with multiple injuries, you have disaster "aka our offense last year".
  • Snap count and cadence are different things. Cadence is about directing your offense/calling audibles and assigning blocks based on what the QB sees. Again revolving OL and 4 QB's, they were decimated by the time Lester took over. Article on the difference. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/american-footballers-say-hut-hut-hike/
  • Shaf will not allow next year to happen again. There is a reason why last year we took 5 OL recruits and have taken 3 already this year. I might see a fourth coming into the mix and a small possibility of maybe another 5 year OL recruit depending on who may still be out there.
Lester's offense is fundamentally much different than GMC's and this is why it was not changed. I also think that Lester did not have a fully developed system as I am sure he was not expecting to be the OC in the middle of the season. Who walks across a bridge that is not completely built but instead goes across the one that is already there (no matter how rickety it might be). Reason for not changing.

I have no idea if it is going to make us successful as I have been way to high and way to low every year for the last decade and a half. I do however do not see us having the type of year we had last year. How good, I have no idea nor am I going to try and guess. Is Lester the guy, don't know because I have not seen his offense.

The program is on the brink of really taking off as recruits have us on their radar and take a serious look. Facilities are there and going to get even better with new renovations and signage. ACC is a strong conference and getting stronger. ACC network will be a boon. The bottom line is if we WIN and somehow catch lightning in a bottle like we did in 2001, we will not be having these discussions. Then again, Lester's O could not be the answer, Adam can't develop O linemen, and Doast's D might have a lot of new studs on it but is so young that they are abused week in and out. I have no idea other than I know we have a lot of nice pieces in place this year.

I am going to take a seat right in the middle and maybe start getting excited (or depressed) around game 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.