"Basket Ball" at Turning Stone last night... | Syracusefan.com

"Basket Ball" at Turning Stone last night...

cto

Administrator
Looks like Tomcat is not doing one of his masterful reports, so I will say just a few things about the Basket Ball (with hope that Tomcat will still come through).

Crowd was huge ... more than 800 folks. I (and others) put some pictures on Facebook to give a flavor for it, but I am sort of hit-or-miss regarding my ability to post pix here, and this evening seems to be one of my "miss" nights. Also, the Post-Standard (syracuse.com) had some decent coverage of it this year. In previous years, they wouldn't pay to buy a ticket, but they apparently did this year.

It is really a cool event that all fans should attend at least once (and who knows how many more there might be, given JB's potential retirement within the next few years). All the players and coaches were there (plus Mark Coyle and Dino Babers), and all of the above are happy to chat with anyone who wants to chat. In that regard, it is a pretty informal event. No dais, no head table, just a lot of people mingling around.

Dan Patrick, who became the MC only after he lost a bet to JB, did a very nice job... and quite by coincidence, wound up being my dinner partner (not planned, just happened). He was really delightful. Turns out we live about 12 minutes from each other ... and he could have saved the miserable round-trip car ride between CT and JFK and the vagaries of flying if we had known that earlier. (On the other hand, he may not have enjoyed my driving much better, but at least I did not get a speeding ticket or a wrong0-way driving ticket this time).

The live auction items were the usual... all expense-paid trips to the Final Four, ditto for the ACC tourney, etc. They all raised a lot of money. Being that I was standing in the very rear of the very dark auditorium during the auction, I could not see who won the various items. But there was no "special" item like JB's famous Duke-worn sports jacket from two years ago.

During the two (yes, two) cocktail receptions, the players all dutifully drank soft drinks (if they drank anything), and they were all very willing to chat with anyone who approached them... and to pose for what must have been many thousands of pictures. I got some with Michael, Trevor, Malachi and both Tylers. They all look great in the pictures, but, as usual, my eyes were closed in most of them. But, hey, they are still nice souvenirs.

Michael said his first private work-out is scheduled with the San Antonio Spurs. Trevor said he would definitely be playing some place next year, but he doesn't yet know where. Malachi said all the right right things about whether he would be back next season, but his body language seemed to indicate he would like to be playing for NBA money (Don't panic, I am not an expert on body language). Tylor R said he was very happy about retuning next season... and he seemed more animated that I recall in the past. Tyler L, still sporting Rico, is very shy. But he seemed happy when I told him I had driven through his home town of Pine Plains on my way to the Turning Stone.

There were two neat photo ops available to all attendees last night. At some point during the pre-dinner reception, all the players stood in a group and people could wait in (a very fast-moving) line to get their pictures professionally taken with the entire team. Another neat option was taking a photo with the net (or, more correctly, the rim and what little remained of the net) from the Elite 8 win over UVA.

As for the food, I am no Tomcat. I think the main course was a beef fillet, served with a variety of vegetables. And I literally do not remember what was served for desert (which I generally do not eat). The red wine was very drinkable ... but then I've hardly ever met a red wine that was not drinkable. (An oenophile, I am not. I just like to drink the stuff).

Anyhow, it was a great evening... and well worth attending if it fits within one's budget.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up, Joyce. As I've said a million times, one of the reasons I like this board is to get these "back stories." Can't believe it just so "happened" that Dan Patrick was your dinner partner. I suspect there was some manipulation behind the scenes. Or you may be, as has been proven in the past, just the luckiest woman in basketball land.

I worry about your interpretation of Malachi's body language. I don't blame him one bit, but for our sake, I hope he doesn't go as high as he would wish, and he decides to come back. I believe that would end up being for his sake as well.

From the syracuse.com pics, Juli looked stunning! And of course every one of our players is as handsome as they can be.

Much obliged for the report! Hope Tom does something as well.

I think malachi is a super competitive kid. one thing about competitive kids is that they want to take on the best as soon as possible. if it is a kid on JV, they want to be on varsity. if it is a kid on varsity, they want to play college kids. you don't want to take that confidence and competitive spirit out of the kid, but you also need for them to realize they are not ready. which malachi is not. hopefully the combine encourages him to return.

Thanks, Joyce. I swear I'm going to make the next one or two of these things before JB retires.

I'm kind of disappointed at this. I didn't get any notification about this going on and I was hoping to attend this year. I actually have a small souvenir from Battle 4 Atlantis I was hoping to try to get signed by as much of this past year's team as possible, as I don't have CuseTroop's luck of running into the team at every turn.

Regardless, thanks for the summary, Joyce. Never fear - I'm sure Tom will come through with a supporting recap as well.

I think malachi is a super competitive kid. one thing about competitive kids is that they want to take on the best as soon as possible. if it is a kid on JV, they want to be on varsity. if it is a kid on varsity, they want to play college kids. you don't want to take that confidence and competitive spirit out of the kid, but you also need for them to realize they are not ready. which malachi is not. hopefully the combine encourages him to return.

Well he better be super competitive about doing well in school. James Young/Kentucky on the Celtics is a great example of a guy who could shoot the ball out of the gym and hasn't sniffed the roster for 2 plus years now.

Because if he leaves this year for the NBA he'll be with Donte Green in a few years.

I'm kind of disappointed at this. I didn't get any notification about this going on and I was hoping to attend this year. I actually have a small souvenir from Battle 4 Atlantis I was hoping to try to get signed by as much of this past year's team as possible, as I don't have CuseTroop's luck of running into the team at every turn.

Regardless, thanks for the summary, Joyce. Never fear - I'm sure Tom will come through with a supporting recap as well.
For future reference, the Basket Ball is always held the final Saturday in April.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up, Joyce. As I've said a million times, one of the reasons I like this board is to get these "back stories." Can't believe it just so "happened" that Dan Patrick was your dinner partner. I suspect there was some manipulation behind the scenes. Or you may be, as has been proven in the past, just the luckiest woman in basketball land.

Peggy, seriously, it really just "happened." Guests were assigned tables, but there were no assigned seats at the tables. When I got there, I just arbitrarily picked a seat at the then-empty 12-person table. And a short while later, Dan sat down next to me. Not planned at all. I didn't even know who else would be sitting at the table because I had purchased just a single ticket for the event.

I worry about your interpretation of Malachi's body language. I don't blame him one bit, but for our sake, I hope he doesn't go as high as he would wish, and he decides to come back. I believe that would end up being for his sake as well.

From the syracuse.com pics, Juli looked stunning! And of course every one of our players is as handsome as they can be.

Much obliged for the report! Hope Tom does something as well.
Beadle, you have it all wrong. When Dan got there he asked which table CTO would be seated.

Next year brotha, let's try to make it happen.

Because if he leaves this year for the NBA he'll be with Donte Green in a few years.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's a fair comparison for many reasons.

Good report. You may very well be right about his body language, but if he's thinking big bucks NBA money instead of minimum salary, that could mean he comes back.

Peggy, seriously, it really just "happened." Guests were assigned tables, but there were no assigned seats at the tables. When I got there, I just arbitrarily picked a seat at the then-empty 12-person table. And a short while later, Dan sat down next to me. Not planned at all. I didn't even know who else would be sitting at the table because I had purchased just a single ticket for the event.
I believe you! So, you now revert to Luckiest Woman in Basketball Land. :rolleyes:

Hey cto, do you know if Barbara was able to give those little mementos to the coaches for me?

Looks like Tomcat is not doing one of his masterful reports, so I will say just a few things about the Basket Ball (with hope that Tomcat will still come through).

Crowd was huge ... more than 800 folks. I (and others) put some pictures on Facebook to give a flavor for it, but I am sort of hit-or-miss regarding my ability to post pix here, and this evening seems to be one of my "miss" nights. Also, the Post-Standard (syracuse.com) had some decent coverage of it this year. In previous years, they wouldn't pay to buy a ticket, but they apparently did this year.

It is really a cool event that all fans should attend at least once (and who knows how many more there might be, given JB's potential retirement within the next few years). All the players and coaches were there (plus Mark Coyle and Dino Babers), and all of the above are happy to chat with anyone who wants to chat. In that regard, it is a pretty informal event. No dais, no head table, just a lot of people mingling around.

Dan Patrick, who became the MC only after he lost a bet to JB, did a very nice job... and quite by coincidence, wound up being my dinner partner (not planned, just happened). He was really delightful. Turns out we live about 12 minutes from each other ... and he could have saved the miserable round-trip car ride between CT and JFK and the vagaries of flying if we had known that earlier. (On the other hand, he may not have enjoyed my driving much better, but at least I did not get a speeding ticket or a wrong0-way driving ticket this time).

The live auction items were the usual... all expense-paid trips to the Final Four, ditto for the ACC tourney, etc. They all raised a lot of money. Being that I was standing in the very rear of the very dark auditorium during the auction, I could not see who won the various items. But there was no "special" item like JB's famous Duke-worn sports jacket from two years ago.

During the two (yes, two) cocktail receptions, the players all dutifully drank soft drinks (if they drank anything), and they were all very willing to chat with anyone who approached them... and to pose for what must have been many thousands of pictures. I got some with Michael, Trevor, Malachi and both Tylers. They all look great in the pictures, but, as usual, my eyes were closed in most of them. But, hey, they are still nice souvenirs.

Michael said his first private work-out is scheduled with the San Antonio Spurs. Trevor said he would definitely be playing some place next year, but he doesn't yet know where. Malachi said all the right right things about whether he would be back next season, but his body language seemed to indicate he would like to be playing for NBA money (Don't panic, I am not an expert on body language). Tylor R said he was very happy about retuning next season... and he seemed more animated that I recall in the past. Tyler L, still sporting Rico, is very shy. But he seemed happy when I told him I had driven through his home town of Pine Plains on my way to the Turning Stone.

There were two neat photo ops available to all attendees last night. At some point during the pre-dinner reception, all the players stood in a group and people could wait in (a very fast-moving) line to get their pictures professionally taken with the entire team. Another neat option was taking a photo with the net (or, more correctly, the rim and what little remained of the net) from the Elite 8 win over UVA.

As for the food, I am no Tomcat. I think the main course was a beef fillet, served with a variety of vegetables. And I literally do not remember what was served for desert (which I generally do not eat). The red wine was very drinkable ... but then I've hardly ever met a red wine that was not drinkable. (An oenophile, I am not. I just like to drink the stuff).

Anyhow, it was a great evening... and well worth attending if it fits within one's budget.

In reference to there may not be many more of these events because JB is retiring in a couple years. Isn't this function for the V Fondation and therefore not directly connected to SU? Is it possible that JB would continue these even after his retirement. Or that MH will stand in. And when JB retires, how "visible" do you think he will be around the school/program? Will the school lend him an office to work out of?

In reference to there may not be many more of these events because JB is retiring in a couple years. Isn't this function for the V Fondation and therefore not directly connected to SU? Is it possible that JB would continue these even after his retirement. Or that MH will stand in. And when JB retires, how "visible" do you think he will be around the school/program? Will the school lend him an office to work out of?

Pretty sure I remember reading JB in an interview that he still wanted to be involved with the university in some capacity after retirement whether it be fundraising or whatever. Not positive about that though.

The Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation is NOT connected to SU... or to the V Foundation ... or to Coaches vs Cancer. It is a stand-alone foundation. Its primary focus is young people in need .. whether it be health issues, child abuse, education, after-sch00l services or the need for recreational activities. Its secondary focus is contributing to cancer research. The "Basket Ball" always occurs a month or so after the season ends ... and is heavily related to it ... i.e., the master of ceremonies is either a well-known coach or sports caster ... and most of the live auction and silent auction items are related to SU basketball.

Watch out for that wrong-way driving. It sounds like a bad idea. We want to hear your report next year, too.

The Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation is NOT connected to SU... or to the V Foundation ... or to Coaches vs Cancer. It is a stand-alone foundation. Its primary focus is young people in need .. whether it be health issues, child abuse, education, after-sch00l services or the need for recreational activities. Its secondary focus is contributing to cancer research. The "Basket Ball" always occurs a month or so after the season ends ... and is heavily related to it ... i.e., the master of ceremonies is either a well-known coach or sports caster ... and most of the live auction and silent auction items are related to SU basketball.
Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom