Baye, Gbinije and Roberson | Syracusefan.com

Baye, Gbinije and Roberson

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So, that's our bench.

How are people feeling about that?

Keita is a known quantity and brings defense as well as energy and leadership on defense. Those are useful and usable contributions. We also know that we will get little or nothing on offense. But these qualities / characteristics are known and reliable so they can be utilized effectively in a rotation.

With regard to Gbinije and Roberson I don't think anyone really knows what we'll get when they are inserted into a game. Lots of potential buts lots of unknown......making them much more difficult to use effectively.

Would be nice to get to know both of these guys a little bit better before we are in do or die time. Despite everyone's feelings that we can't afford to lose any game, there are really only at most six games that are absolute must wins and they are always in March/April and the last game(s) that the team plays each year.

I'm fine with that bench and expect to see each of them come up big in big spots before this season is over (BMK, of course, has already done so throughout his career).

Some people may bemoan the lack of an experienced, deep and productive bench, but that's not an uncommon situation for elite college teams these days. And every good team is just one key injury away from having their season altered, not just SU.

Not good overall, but in large part because of Jimmy's bench utilization and not because of the players themselves.

BMK - great for his role, which he fills to perfection.

Mike G - plays like a caretaker for his minutes - he needs to be much more opportunistic on O opportunities. He passes up too many driving lanes and wide open shots. I don't want him forcing anything, but he does need to be just enough of a threat to keep em honest when he is out there. No reason to give up as much O as we do when he is on the court. I know Jimmy rewards guys with minutes mostly on a D first basis, but especilly when he playing 2G, you can't have a 2g out there who is a zero O threat.

Roberson - love what I have seen, but I have not seen nearly enough. Obviously that is on Jimmy. No reason he shouldn't be getting at least 7 to 10 PG.

Buss - who's that ????????? - is this kid really that bad in practice ????? - I have only seen miniscule flashes, but from what I have seen his energy level is sky high and he is not afraid to take his shot. I can't imagine that there shouldn't be a small role for this kid. I would like to see him get a shot for the minutes currently going to Mike G at the 2G position. Mike G can still backup the PG. Give him the short leash, but give him a shot.

BJ - Again, I have hardly seen him at all, but I can understand that he is too raw and not strong enough to help this season. Potential is there for him to be a kid who can make one of those huge frosh to soph jumps, but I can understand he has no real role this season. He should have taken a shirt.

Who are using the other scholarships? Johnson, Patterson, Obokoh? Johnson and Patterson are in case of emergency break glass guys for this season that is fine. As long as we don't get foul trouble we should be fine. I don't care if we go deep on the bench as long as we win.

d.jpg
The information you provided has nothing to do with what I am about to say next :

I want to punch a Cameron. Crazy square in the face.

Because I am fired up like that and I condone violence.

I know that Boeheim would never do this, and his consistency is a big part of the program success, so I am not going to

BUT -- I would like to bring a lineup of G, Patterson, Keita, and Johnson for a few minutes a game just to try bring up the tempo -- with some sort of pressure D.

In our low tempo games, for the most part our starters and the other team's starter's can play most of or all of the game,. Opponents need to keep a small rotation to play the #2 team in the country -- I would just like to use our bench every now and then to tire them a bit.

Not good overall, but in large part because of Jimmy's bench utilization and not because of the players themselves.

BMK - great for his role, which he fills to perfection.

Mike G - plays like a caretaker for his minutes - he needs to be much more opportunistic on O opportunities. He passes up too many driving lanes and wide open shots. I don't want him forcing anything, but he does need to be just enough of a threat to keep em honest when he is out there. No reason to give up as much O as we do when he is on the court. I know Jimmy rewards guys with minutes mostly on a D first basis, but especilly when he playing 2G, you can't have a 2g out there who is a zero O threat.

Roberson - love what I have seen, but I have not seen nearly enough. Obviously that is on Jimmy. No reason he shouldn't be getting at least 7 to 10 PG.

Buss - who's that ????????? - is this kid really that bad in practice ????? - I have only seen miniscule flashes, but from what I have seen his energy level is sky high and he is not afraid to take his shot. I can't imagine that there shouldn't be a small role for this kid. I would like to see him get a shot for the minutes currently going to Mike G at the 2G position. Mike G can still backup the PG. Give him the short leash, but give him a shot.

BJ - Again, I have hardly seen him at all, but I can understand that he is too raw and not strong enough to help this season. Potential is there for him to be a kid who can make one of those huge frosh to soph jumps, but I can understand he has no real role this season. He should have taken a shirt.
the reason might be that jb likes to win. There is plenty reason for roberson not to be playing 7 to 10 minutes a game.

bmk- will kick it into overdrive come tourny time

silent-g -just has to be steady and not turn the ball over and when the time does come that he is needed he shows up

robo- just play smart and use the 5 fouls your given-and fight for every rebound

bmk- will kick it into overdrive come tourny time

silent-g -just has to be steady and not turn the ball over and when the time does come that he is needed he shows up

robo- just play smart and use the 5 fouls your given-and fight for every rebound

I agree with this but G has to be much more of a scoring threat. He's capable. Does he break out of his shell against his former team?

So, that's our bench.

How are people feeling about that?

You can work with known quantities. BMK is a known quantity. JB can use him when he needs to and knows what to expect.

G just needs to get more reps to get comfortable, but I think we know, within a range, what we are getting from him the rest of the year.

Roberson is the wild card. I think you will see flashes, maybe even a 2-3 minute spell where he does really well, but you are going to have lapses, especially on defense with him. He's fine to give CJ and Grant a quick blow, but other than that, I don't think we can expect more.

The good thing about this? We are talking about guys that are 6'7", 6'8" and 6'10".

Last edited:
I know that Boeheim would never do this, and his consistency is a big part of the program success, so I am not going to

BUT -- I would like to bring a lineup of G, Patterson, Keita, and Johnson for a few minutes a game just to try bring up the tempo -- with some sort of pressure D.

Not trying to be confrontational, but wha??!! I'm not an enormous fan of conducting experiments with the guys at the end of the bench, and thank God, neither is Boeheim. It's like they always say, the most popular athlete in every city is the backup quarterback. I want to see Patterson and BJ in the game simultaneously in place of Ennis and CJ as much as I want to get shot out of a cannon.

G just needs to get more reps to get comfortable, but I think we know, within a range, what we are getting from him the rest of the year.
you can give him all the reps you want - it isn't going to turn him into a point guard. He can handle the ball, he can play the position defensively, he can find shots for himself, but he just isn't a floor general.

I think, if Ennis gets hurt or in foul trouble, we'll see Cooney as the de facto backup PG. And that will weaken us at two positions on the offensive end.

you can give him all the reps you want - it isn't going to turn him into a point guard. He can handle the ball, he can play the position defensively, he can find shots for himself, but he just isn't a floor general.

I think, if Ennis gets hurt or in foul trouble, we'll see Cooney as the de facto backup PG. And that will weaken us at two positions on the offensive end.

If Ennis gets hurt or is in foul trouble, we are screwed no matter what. I think JB has asked G to be a game manager when he is in for Ennis. But he doesn't even look comfortable doing that (per your comment about him being a PG). Hopefully he can contribute some spot up made baskets and good D at the top of the zone.

No matter what, I think we know what to expect from him for this team for the rest of the year. The good days will see him hitting some open shots and being active on defense. The bad days will see him looking timid and hurting the flow of the offense.

Janulis
Reafsnyder

When you have 5 great starters, you can deal with a limited bench.

Have to put Baye in a separate category. He almost gets starter minutes, and JB trusts him as much or more than he trusts Rak. We can hope Rak improves enough to change that equation.

Then the bench is G for 8 minutes and Roberson for 4, max. It isn't going to change in competitive games, absent foul trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom