BBB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BBB

Yes because BBB league is going to provide a better platform to showcase your talent to the NBA

Well the NBA has shown such great respect for Lavar Bell and his brand. :rolleyes:

So, all kidding aside, I doubt that this will affect Carey / us [although that would certainly be just our luck].

BUT if I step back and think about the big picture, it isn't hard to envision that there might be a viable market opportunity / niche for a league of this sort. I'd have to think that when the NBA adjusts their draft eligibility rules again -- and the latest skuttlebutt I've heard is that they are considering letting HS'ers go right to the league, but those that go to college wouldn't be eligible to be drafted for 2 or 3 years, similar to baseball -- then we might get a situation where players who aren't obvious early entrants straight out of the HS chute, or those that don't WANT to go to college and would rather get paid, or those who give college a shot, and then need to kill time until they are eligible for the NBA might be willing to do something like this as an alternative.

I have no idea how many teams [and by default, how many roster spots would be available] they would have, who would sponsor, where they'd play, whether it would be televised or not, etc. Would there be public interest? Hard to say -- I doubt that the G-League gets much attention, even though games are aired on the NBA channel, so by the transitive property I assume it wouldn't be a huge draw.

But it feels like something like this could be a viable "minor league" for players who want to eschew college.

My concern would be Lavar starts greasing the palms of those people around Carey to steer him to his league. In other words he starts recruiting one of our players

My concern would be Lavar starts greasing the palms of those people around Carey to steer him to his league. In other words he starts recruiting one of our players
I wouldn't be too worried. I doubt Carey is being specifically targeted. That looked like a generic message sent to all of the top 100-150 or so players. Plus, there isn't exactly a league set up right now. It's all in Lavar's mind at this point.

He also needs 80 players that actually want to do this. They would have to be basically top 150 kids, at worse, for this to have any appeal for fans.
I don’t think this has any appeal for fans. Colleges have built-in rabid fan bases with history and tradition and alumni affiliations. Lavar Ball is a crazy person. I wish the media didn’t give him so much attention.

No one would watch this. I know I wouldn’t.
Agreed. I think most of us watch college hoops because we have a personal connection to a specific team. Either as alums or some sort of geographical familiarity. This type of mercenary league, with kids who will only play within it for one year — it builds no relationships, so it's just another junior, preparatory league. At least with the D/G-League, there are NBA affiliations and players who have already made names for themselves, and still they only play to small audiences.

Really hope this doesn't pan out, even as a trial inaugural season. From what i've recently read about customer service on the shoe line, Ball can't even handle those simpler logistics. I'm sure he's got people working with him on this, but you'd have to be another schnook to get involved with him, or just an opportunist hoping to suck fundage away, without any real investment of passion in the project.

Here is he biggest problem with this. If the 20 best college prospects all went to BBB (and in particular the top 10), then it would be very interesting to the niche of "Prospect" fans who want to see the young players that are going to go in the draft. That league would be viable.

But the problem is at best, you may get a couple first round prospects sign up. So it is not appealing to the niche if "Prospect" fans. And it certainly isn't appealing to NCAA fans who have bought into team brands and league brands. This league dies an instantaneous death.

The only viable minor league that can be created is under the NBA, and all owners have to buy in. They need to invest a little more. Basically they can invest heavily in prospects early on, lose some money, but have the backing to support such losses, and continue to push it through.

The other option is for the NCAA to allow basketball players to enter the draft, get that first round money guarantee (with an upfront bonus), and then the NBA team could demote players to their GLeague team or their NCAA team (the demoted years would not count towards your 3 year deal). Its good for the player development, it's good for fans, its good for the teams potentially. It's best for everyone I suppose, except the NCAA who wants to keep up this charade of what they are.

I don’t think this has any appeal for fans. Colleges have built-in rabid fan bases with history and tradition and alumni affiliations. Lavar Ball is a crazy person. I wish the media didn’t give him so much attention.

Cable networks are desperate for content. Can someone get a sports network to pony up 10 million a year and then get Nike or Adidas to match it? It could be half live sports and half reality TV. Kind of a MMA atmosphere meets that Netflix show on JUCO Football.

I wouldn't watch it, and I don't think its a threat to college sports, and I don't know that Lavar Ball has the smarts to make it work, but I could see it getting off the ground.

Cable networks are desperate for content. Can someone get a sports network to pony up 10 million a year and then get Nike or Adidas to match it? It could be half live sports and half reality TV. Kind of a MMA atmosphere meets that Netflix show on JUCO Football.

I wouldn't watch it, and I don't think its a threat to college sports, and I don't know that Lavar Ball has the smarts to make it work, but I could see it getting off the ground.
The NBA can’t get 10 million dollars to broadcast the G league.
Players can go to the G league out of HS.
BBB has an F grade from the Better Business Bureau. They aren’t going to get any real money from networks.

The NBA can’t get 10 million dollars to broadcast the G league.
Players can go to the G league out of HS.
BBB has an grade from the Better Business Bureau. They aren’t going to get any real money from networks.

Don't think about it as professional basketball. Think Rucker Park meets American Idol.

Comparatively low production costs with 5 - 1o hours of content produced every week for 30 weeks a year. Maybe not ESPN but I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix would be interested. The backstory drives the interest in the games, and the build up would be the hook. Who's fighting, who scores the most, who's getting cut? Don't miss tomorrow's episode. EPIC TWITTER RANTS!

If The Apprentice can be a successful TV show, so could this.

If such a league is successful, then the NCAA needs to consider allowing players who ahve played pro ball to matriculate and play for college teams while they get a degree. Get the players on the other end of their often failed pro careers or after a failed first attempts. Someone in a regular profession could leave college for a job and come back. why not athletes?

So, all kidding aside, I doubt that this will affect Carey / us [although that would certainly be just our luck].

BUT if I step back and think about the big picture, it isn't hard to envision that there might be a viable market opportunity / niche for a league of this sort. I'd have to think that when the NBA adjusts their draft eligibility rules again -- and the latest skuttlebutt I've heard is that they are considering letting HS'ers go right to the league, but those that go to college wouldn't be eligible to be drafted for 2 or 3 years, similar to baseball -- then we might get a situation where players who aren't obvious early entrants straight out of the HS chute, or those that don't WANT to go to college and would rather get paid, or those who give college a shot, and then need to kill time until they are eligible for the NBA might be willing to do something like this as an alternative.

I have no idea how many teams [and by default, how many roster spots would be available] they would have, who would sponsor, where they'd play, whether it would be televised or not, etc. Would there be public interest? Hard to say -- I doubt that the G-League gets much attention, even though games are aired on the NBA channel, so by the transitive property I assume it wouldn't be a huge draw.

But it feels like something like this could be a viable "minor league" for players who want to eschew college.

Always been a proponent of the baseball rule. Hope it would be 3 years. 2s OK but 3s great.

Only way this ever takes off and actually produces money is if top recruits decide to commit to it. To date they haven't and are all to busy signing with Duke.

If you were a HS kid and received this, you wouldn't post it?

Honestly, if I were offered by any other pro league not associated with LaVar Ball, yes.

& if Carey isn't interested, it ain't no thang, on to the next...

IMG_1396.GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom