BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley

If I were Dino I would have worked a deal with the AD long ago that they hired some firm to figured out some people to fill the OC and DC because you never know if they will be leaving and you need to be prepared. Dino should have sat down with some people, identified his needs and wants and they should have reviewed some set of criteria over a range of time and had a list of 10 or so people ready to go.

What would it cost 100K to do it right?

You dont even need to reach out to anyone to figure out who might work out,. its just a starting point.. There might be some non P-5 DC that is doing a great job or a high level FCS guy

We need a DC who can dissect an opposing offense like a veterinarian can dissect a frog, and not like some high school bio student, and then transmit the info with understanding to position coaches and players.

I'm on Team IB when it comes to bowl practices. Obviously it's better to have them than not, but I'm not sure just how critical they really are. It's not like the players are taking those 15 days off, eating multiple bags of Cheetos and not getting off the couch. I imagine they're still working out, doing position-specific training, etc.
In terms of the value of bowls on recruiting... I suspect winning teams tend to recruit better than losing teams, and making a bowl means a team is winning. Two-thirds of FBS makes bowls, so I'm not sure how much of a stark differentiator it really is. High school kids and their parents aren't dumb, they know the difference between being in the New Year's Six and being a perennial participant in low tier bowls.

I don't know why some folks are saying that this is a terrible decision by BC. Addazio has never won more than 7 games. In 7 years. Going to 4 mediocre bowls, that a handful of BC fans attend, means little when literally 2/3rds of FBS teams make a bowl these days.

His HC resume is the very definition of mediocre. A guy with those kind of results doesn't get to coach for 20 years.

If BC utterly botches the next hire, they will likely slip all the way to being a 3 or 4 win team for a couple seasons. Then they'll hire someone else who can get them back to the 7 win level Addazio has been at. I mean, even freakin' Coach Spaz won 7 and 8 games before he cratered. Probably because of their OL pipeline, BC never seems to have the run off disastrous seasons that we have had. Of course, they never have the highs we do either, and I don't fault them for trying to achieve that with a new HC.

when was the last time Syracuse was ranked #2 in the nation? Big Ben was probably the HC.
Their high is certainly higher than ours regular season wise. They can win big if they find the right guy.

didn't BC give him an extension last year?

The #2 ranking was bull crap... as are all media related polls.. where did they end up?

Also no one cared because the Redsox were busy winning

I'm on Team IB when it comes to bowl practices. Obviously it's better to have them than not, but I'm not sure just how critical they really are. It's not like the players are taking those 15 days off, eating multiple bags of Cheetos and not getting off the couch. I imagine they're still working out, doing position-specific training, etc.
In terms of the value of bowls on recruiting... I suspect winning teams tend to recruit better than losing teams, and making a bowl means a team is winning. Two-thirds of FBS makes bowls, so I'm not sure how much of a stark differentiator it really is. High school kids and their parents aren't dumb, they know the difference between being in the New Year's Six and being a perennial participant in low tier bowls.

No doubt, but our success on the field and recruiting has been pretty closely related to our participation in bowl games over the last 15 years or so. Kids and their parents know the difference between teams that go to bowls and teams that don’t.

when was the last time Syracuse was ranked #2 in the nation? Big Ben was probably the HC.
Their high is certainly higher than ours regular season wise. They can win big if they find the right guy.
That 2007 season was really weird.
South Florida got up to number 2 in the polls. Kansas was ranked 3rd.

That was season LSU won the national championship with 2 losses only time in the modern era a 2 loss champion won the title.
West Virginia; Missouri all lost on championship weekend when they could have played for a national title.

Boston College had an NFL franchise QB their rise wasn’t that shocking.

Put the 1998 Syracuse Orange into the 2007 Syracuse schedule and they could have done what BC did with McNabb and company.

That was such a weird season when they hit #2. They went from #21 to #2 over the course of five weeks, by beating GaTech (#15 at the time), Army, UMass, Bowling Green and Notre Dame (who was awful that year). I mean, credit to BC for winning, and putting themselves in position to take advantage of the circumstances, but the top of the polls were a revolving door that season. When BC hit #3 it was USF who was #2, and BC moved up when they were on a bye after USF lost. It was all quite wacky.

That was such a weird season when they hit #2. They went from #21 to #2 over the course of five weeks, by beating GaTech (#15 at the time), Army, UMass, Bowling Green and Notre Dame (who was awful that year). I mean, credit to BC for winning, and putting themselves in position to take advantage of the circumstances, but the top of the polls were a revolving door that season. When BC hit #3 it was USF who was #2, and BC moved up when they were on a bye after USF lost. It was all quite wacky.
When we got to 10 in 94 it was equally wonky and television manufactured w UMiami coming to town. My theory on ranking is "if you win, u move higher". At some point the undefeated teams are in the top 5. They got there which is a testament to them in the ACC.

If they beat FSU (absurdly rainy night which derailed Ryan), they would have been #1.

If we ever got to #2, it'll probably be an equally magnificent cocktail of weirdness. I don't ding them for that.

No doubt, but our success on the field and recruiting has been pretty closely related to our participation in bowl games over the last 15 years or so. Kids and their parents know the difference between teams that go to bowls and teams that don’t.

Has it been closely related? I'm asking genuinely. We were in back-to-back bowl in 2012 and 2013, did that goose recruiting? Seemed like Dino had to address a lot of talent shortcomings when he took over in the wake of those seasons.

The 2012 senior class was recruited when we hadn't made a bowl game since before any of those players were in high school.

I'm not arguing that bowls don't help, of course they do. But I do think that they are overvalued to some extent. When 2/3rds of FBS makes a bowl, there are simply so few teams that can't tout any bowl "success" when they're out recruiting.

When we got to 10 in 94 it was equally wonky and television manufactured w UMiami coming to town. My theory on ranking is "if you win, u move higher". At some point the undefeated teams are in the top 5. They got there which is a testament to them in the ACC.

If they beat FSU (absurdly rainy night which derailed Ryan), they would have been #1.

If we ever got to #2, it'll probably be an equally magnificent cocktail of weirdness. I don't ding them for that.

I'm not dinging BC, they deserved credit for taking advantage. I wish SU could get the hell out of our own way more often in September, to allow for that kind of rise in the polls.

I'm just not sure that #2 ranking was predictive of BC's ceiling. I think it was a fluke.

I'm not dinging BC, they deserved credit for taking advantage. I wish SU could get the hell out of our own way more often in September, to allow for that kind of rise in the polls.

I'm just not sure that #2 ranking was predictive of BC's ceiling. I think it was a fluke.

It's a fair point but really amplifies that Syracuse and BC, every 15 years or so, can catch magic and find themselves among giants.

BC has more talent in their backyard than us that wants to stay home. Boston is provincial. If they can find the right coach, they can build the trenches w home grown talent. It takes the right hire and the right commitment. The Fish Center is step one, new coach is step two. I think that program can make some noise especially w the Patriots (at some point) starting the slow descent off the mountaintop they've been on for 2 decades. that will end at some point

It's a fair point but really amplifies that Syracuse and BC, every 15 years or so, can catch magic and find themselves among giants.

BC has more talent in their backyard than us that wants to stay home. Boston is provincial. If they can find the right coach, they can build the trenches w home grown talent. It takes the right hire and the right commitment. The Fish Center is step one, new coach is step two. I think that program can make some noise especially w the Patriots (at some point) starting the slow descent off the mountaintop they've been on for 2 decades. that will end at some point

Very True Brady looked like Dinero in the end of the Irishmen last night! :)

I think that program can make some noise especially w the Patriots (at some point) starting the slow descent off the mountaintop they've been on for 2 decades. that will end at some point

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!! LALALALALALA, I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU!

;)

Those early 1990s Syracuse teams were stacked.
They weren’t like the 2007 BC team. Which rode Matt Ryan and BJ Raji on defense.
Obviously you are a New England/Boston Guy as well I was in law school in 2007 with a BC Buddy watched the BC-VPI game(BC stole the game on a last second throw by Ryan) in a driving monsoon while game 2 of the World Series between the Sox and Rockies at the same time.
BC was 7-0, Patriots were 6-0 and Sox were in the World Series.

We all knew BC wasn’t as good as their ranking. They lost to a mediocre to bad Florida State team at night the following week and ended up in the Citrus Bowl.
The 1998 Syracuse team with McNabb had WTH losses but it was better than that BC team.

I'm sure every coach would love it, but there hasn't been a positive correlation in our recent bowl history.

1999 - 15 extra practices, no bowl in 2000.
2000 - No 15 extra practices, bowl in 2001.
2001 - 15 extra practices, no bowl in 2002.

2010 - 15 extra practices, no bowl in 2011.
2011 - No 15 extra practices, bowl in 2012.

2017 - No 15 extra practices, bowl in 2018.
2018 - 15 extra practices, no bowl in 2019.
2019 - No 15 extra practices, so...

Obviously, 2020 will be awesome.

Recruiting is such a crapshoot. I think it has more to do with what you sell and how you sell it. Some kids want facilities, some kids want playing time, some kids want TV, some kids probably want TVs.

I'm sure every coach would love it, but there hasn't been a positive correlation in our recent bowl history.

Recruiting is such a crapshoot. I think it has more to do with what you sell and how you sell it. Some kids want facilities, some kids want playing time, some kids want TV, some kids probably want TVs.
it's so crazy they failed to go bowling in 2000.

what about all the lost reps for the walk on QB? :)

So you’re saying we haven’t sold too well the last 20 years or so?

No way the Daz would ever be considered, by either side.
90% is probably to low of an estimate with these types of hires. I will trust Dino,
not trying to be controversial but imho i do not.