BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley

i chalk up babers first couple years to what he was left. I think Addazio had a better roster when he started there.

We won 15 games the last two years. Addazio hasn't done that

I get all that. Just find it funny how some folks are trashing BC's firing of Addazio, when I suspect many of the same people will be... let's just say, restless... if three years from now Dino has had 3 straight 7-6 seasons.

This isn’t that basically without 2 4-8s what happened to Coach P?

Addaizo has losses as double digit favorites the last 2 years that kill his record Kansas this year, Purdue last year.
Change is fair after that.
i think gross hiring gerg has big weight here on how people view this. every interaction people have had with gross here is pretty much terrible, it's hard to believe he was the AD here. BC doesn't see the same disaster looming from firing a coach who wasn't failing miserably because they aren't as traumatized as us

I get all that. Just find it funny how some folks are trashing BC's firing of Addazio, when I suspect many of the same people will be... let's just say, restless... if three years from now Dino has had 3 straight 7-6 seasons.
you're probably right but in cuseguy's case, I do believe him - we just have very different preferences (chip, go ahead) - for me, i'm ok with volatile big ups and big downs, for him, it's about consistent bowl appearances. no right or wrong

This should look good on the Addazio resume.
I guess he wasn’t interested in #becomingadude

That is awful if they contacted the team to trash his character. Addaizo when he was on the ESPNU coaches room came off like a meathead.

Interesting and disturbing. Josh is a local, small school kid (Chatham, NY). I never heard anyone who questioned his character growing up here or during his BC years. FWIW, I don't see the Dazzler at SU because his meathead style and Dino's philosophy are a terrible match.
in those espn coaches room telecasts, babers and addazio seemed bristly to each other

you're probably right but in cuseguy's case, I do believe him - we just have very different preferences (chip, go ahead) - for me, i'm ok with volatile big ups and big downs, for him, it's about consistent bowl appearances. no right or wrong

True, definitely not a right/wrong thing. I do think SU fans overrate bowl appearances, because we've been so freakin' dreadful for 20 years, and bowls are like gold to us.

BC has been to 9 bowls in the past 13 years, a.k.a. the post-O'Brien era. Same time frame, we've been to 4.

There are very few teams in FBS and P5 that have been to less bowls than us this century (6). It's just a couple extra weeks of practice for most programs, and a game in front of a few hundred fans in a half empty stadium.

I mean, if they go 5-7 next season, how many BC fans are gonna be griping "OH NO, we don't get to go to Boise for the Potato Bowl!!!".

I don’t mind firing him to try to improve the program. There’s a lot of options and young ambitious coaches in the lower ranks. If Temple can hire a pretty good coach 90% of the time when they lose theirs every 8 months, BC can find a better coach then Dazzle

Temple’s strategy is different. They make money on every buyout and the. Effectively reinvest. BC (and Rutty) lose a ton when they make a move like this. They’re looking for lifers to win there forever which is much higher stakes and much more difficult.

Addazio will be an “advisor” on Bama or Clemson’s staff next year or he will get hired by the ACC network to do games for a year while he looks for a new coaching opportunity.

This assumes the ink is dry on the Rutgers - Schiano deal.

Addazio will be an “advisor” on Bama or Clemson’s staff next year or he will get hired by the ACC network to do games for a year while he looks for a new coaching opportunity.

This assumes the ink is dry on the Rutgers - Schiano deal.
Interesting. Imagine if the AD made a play on Addazio and saved millions in bringing him in. I am still surprised that the 43 season ticket holders had such influence with the Shady decision.

True, definitely not a right/wrong thing. I do think SU fans overrate bowl appearances, because we've been so freakin' dreadful for 20 years, and bowls are like gold to us.

BC has been to 9 bowls in the past 13 years, a.k.a. the post-O'Brien era. Same time frame, we've been to 4.

There are very few teams in FBS and P5 that have been to less bowls than us this century (6). It's just a couple extra weeks of practice for most programs, and a game in front of a few hundred fans in a half empty stadium.

I mean, if they go 5-7 next season, how many BC fans are gonna be griping "OH NO, we don't get to go to Boise for the Potato Bowl!!!".

I like that we’ve been to 1 in the past bunch of years and it’s a better bowl and win than the dazzler ever got

I wonder if the BC board even has this much discussion about Adazzio being canned? Based on their usual crowds at games, I doubt it
The thread on EagleOutsider started in September and is now on page 26.

I like that we’ve been to 1 in the past bunch of years and it’s a better bowl and win than the dazzler ever got

This is true, and why I don't get the opinions that are against his firing. Addazio is a remarkably mediocre coach.

FWIW, I couldn't see Dazzler and Dino working together anymore than I could see Doug Marrone working with Dino. They are just two different, way too different. Personally, I think they need more talent at O Line first and foremost. I think D has much bigger coaching issues than offense but that is just my opinion.

They also need to cut back on penalties everywhere

Last edited:
I could see him working as an offensive consultant, like Locksley did at Bama, or DeLeone does for Baylor. It is a good way to stay in the game and the public eye. Baylor or Florida might be logical places for him to land. Matt Rhule worked under him at Temple and he has a good relationship with DeLeone as well.

This offseason, I would not be surprised to see Coach Babers add an offensive consultant or (more likely) a defensive consultant. Many ACC schools have them...Syracuse is kind on unusual not having any.

Maybe. Just get the sense that Addazio wants to get back in coaching right away. I’ve known Addazio since he coached high school football in Connecticut. Working with kids is what he enjoys.

{snip}

As someone on out board said about the minor bowls, the most important thing is the 15 extra practices being in one of those bowls gives to a team. Sure, everyone would like to go to someplace warm for a bowl game, but the team is the biggest beneficiary of going to as minor bowl.

Well...do y'all think Dino will forget the "We ran the same play 60 times and they couldn't stop it." quote? Nope...I don't think these two alphas would work together in any way shape or form.

As someone on out board said about the minor bowls, the most important thing is the 15 extra practices being in one of those bowls gives to a team. Sure, everyone would like to go to someplace warm for a bowl game, but the team is the biggest beneficiary of going to as minor bowl.

SU went 10-3 and had those 15 extra practices and then cut the win total in half the following year. I just don't think they mean as much as many say.

Where do I sign up? The odds of SU going to three straight bowls are highly unlikely.

BC had its Bowl game canceled with Boise State last year? Or 2 years ago and none of their fans cared.

Where do I sign up? The odds of SU going to three straight bowls are highly unlikely.

Eh, we made 3 in 4 years not too long ago. Could've been 4 for 4 with one more win.

We can be as mediocre as Addazio, don't worry.

BC had its Bowl game canceled with Boise State last year? Or 2 years ago and none of their fans cared.

Honestly, outside of Penn State, very few fans care about their college programs in the Northeast.

They kicked our butts. Don't understand this move at all. When you look at their stadium and pathetic attendance it looks like he has done a great job keeping them competitive in a difficult north east environment for recruiting.