BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

You left out that he also leads the team in turnovers. I guess you missed the first 9 minutes of the game and saw how we dominated BC on both ends of the court.
There's no need to insult every poster that points out the obvious flaws in Judah's game.
SU is not a top 25 team and your grandson is part of the team. Everyone on the TEAM including your grandson needs to improve.
We put 15 points in those first 9 mins. If that. Usually that is not nearly enough to get it done. Fortunately BC put up 7 freaking points in that time! We did well on defense in those first 9 mins. 15 points in 9 mins is not domination on offense. If Bell shot more like he has in the last 5 games we could have both been in single digits through the first 10 mins.

What a dumb comment that the team played better without Judah. He didn’t have his usual scoring night but still made significant contributions. Made big free throws down the stretch, got three steals and played good defense, and made the assist to Bell on his timely 3 ball late in the game. I’m so tired of all you Judah haters out there and will be glad when he leaves, even if he doesn’t get drafted, which he probably will. But if he doesn’t I’d want to see him go to the portal to a tournament contention team like Joe did. Judah is still the best player in the team but is undervalued and under appreciated by all you haters out there. Happy to see Maliq come on. He’s got so much potential and is a great kid. Same goes for Q. But the numbers don’t lie. Judah leads team in scoring, steals, assists, free throws attempted/made and free throw %. Plus he’s a leader on this team and well thought of by coaching staff and teammates. Do really think they are better without him? If so, That’s freaking nuts!
I don’t think anybody wants Judah to leave nor think he’s a bad player, but I’m starting to think he’s is far better suited at the two, that isn’t a knock, it’s not hating.

Maybe I’m old school, but I want my point guard to distribute, especially Judah who is great anytime he’s off the ball. There is too much standing around when Judah has the ball, and good reason, he has tunnel vision and taking his man to the hoop. I don’t know if this is by Red’s design or Judah improvising, whatever it is the offense is extremely stale until Copeland has the ball in his hands.

We put 15 points in those first 9 mins. If that. Usually that is not nearly enough to get it done. Fortunately BC put up 7 freaking points in that time! We did well on defense in those first 9 mins. 15 points in 9 mins is not domination on offense. If Bell shot more like he has in the last 5 games we could have both been in single digits through the first 10 mins.

The defense was better without Judah, which is what generated the easy buckets. Yes, they missed about 3 or 4 consecutive shots right before he came in, so the margin wasn't still 8 points, like it was only 2 or 3 minutes into the game. We blitzed them on defense at the start. That's what built the lead.

The defense was better without Judah, which is what generated the easy buckets. Yes, they missed about 3 or 4 consecutive shots, right before he came in, so the margin wasn't still 8 points, like it was only 2 or 3 minutes into the game. We blitzed them on defense at the start. That's what built the lead.
This team has to realize that their identity has got to be as a defensive team. Every guy needs to give 100% while on the floor, no lapses. They will get tired, they can sub out. This is not a great offensive team, but they can be special defensively.

Why do you find it strange that our most talented players receive the most praise/criticism? Fans aren't going to spend as much time critiquing players who do not have the talent or ability to overcome the critique. If anything its a compliment to both Mintz and Edwards. Its an admittance of their physical gifts and the potential players they could be. This is only accentuated by NIL money. If they are being compensated more than other players then naturally they will be held to a higher standard.

I'm not saying all criticism is fair or all players are properly appreciated. I'm just pointing out that its very easy to see why certain players who are more productive than others may receive a greater amount of critiquing. This is pretty basic human behavior.
You make a strong point. Our better players are more interesting and will naturally lead to more discussion.

It does seem odd to me that Judah is such a lightning rod when you consider the following:

1, highest rated recruit to commit in a long time, at a time when the program was pretty starved for high end talent
2, his game actually wasn't oversold and his performance as a celebrated freshman was strong (kills me to say this, but it's in stark contrast to Benny)
3, smartly got feedback from the NBA... and CAME BACK
4, is clearly the best player on a flawed team that has had horrible clunker losses but overall is having a decent season

Like, put the above together, and that feels like it should be the profile of a fan favorite. Instead, he's really heavily scrutinized, to the point where assumptions are made about what his style of play says about his character and personality.

Like... that's weird.

eric devendorf was highly recruited. he put up great numbers. but his on/off court antics were also rather polarizing at the time . but he has ( i believe) morphed into a fan favorite. maturity matters.

It’s worth noting that Clemson - having lost three straight - now has the same overall record as us. They’re a game behind us in the conference standings as well.
Only one of their losses was to a ranked team. 3 of our losses have come to ranked teams.

style of play
This is probably the biggest key any perceived criticism. If we were top 10 and not getting blown out by better teams it probably wouldn’t matter as much. But as it is, his style of play is perceived as “selfish” and because it’s about him to making plays and scoring points.

It’s been the same as long as I can remember. Who cares if he scores 24 and takes 18 shots but we lose by 14.

It does seem odd to me that Judah is such a lightning rod when you consider the following:

1, highest rated recruit to commit in a long time, at a time when the program was pretty starved for high end talent
2, his game actually wasn't oversold and his performance as a celebrated freshman was strong (kills me to say this, but it's in stark contrast to Benny)
3, smartly got feedback from the NBA... and CAME BACK
4, is clearly the best player on a flawed team that has had horrible clunker losses but overall is having a decent season

Like, put the above together, and that feels like it should be the profile of a fan favorite. Instead, he's really heavily scrutinized, to the point where assumptions are made about what his style of play says about his character and personality.

Like... that's weird.

I can kinda see it both ways. Last year, there were many times I thought to myself, why are people criticizing Judah so hard. There was sooooo much talk about him falling down, even after a game in which he scored a lot and contributed significantly. So I tend to agree that he gets more criticism than maybe is warranted.

That said, part of what leads to the criticism is his lack of involving others on plays more and just looking to score, so much complaining on the court, not getting back on D at times, comments he's made after games, slapping an opponent, and not really showing that much improvement from last year. Right or wrong, those are things I've read from others and felt myself.

When the dust settles though, I will root for Judah as loudly as any other cuse player. He's family and I wish him and the team the best. I doubt you can come up with one person on this board who isn't a Judah fan, even with some of the criticism.

I don’t think anybody wants Judah to leave nor think he’s a bad player, but I’m starting to think he’s is far better suited at the two, that isn’t a knock, it’s not hating.

Maybe I’m old school, but I want my point guard to distribute, especially Judah who is great anytime he’s off the ball. There is too much standing around when Judah has the ball, and good reason, he has tunnel vision and taking his man to the hoop. I don’t know if this is by Red’s design or Judah improvising, whatever it is the offense is extremely stale until Copeland has the ball in his hands.
As I said before Judah would be better off the ball, with Copeland being the point guard, Judah is a scoring guard.
If he gets his 3 point shooting up he could be great at the next level.
He has the ability to take anyone off the dribble, but he is not a natural distributor of the ball.

I can kinda see it both ways. Last year, there were many times I thought to myself, why are people criticizing Judah so hard. There was sooooo much talk about him falling down, even after a game in which he scored a lot and contributed significantly. So I tend to agree that he gets more criticism than maybe is warranted.

That said, part of what leads to the criticism is his lack of involving others on plays more and just looking to score, so much complaining on the court, not getting back on D at times, comments he's made after games, slapping an opponent, and not really showing that much improvement from last year. Right or wrong, those are things I've read from others and felt myself.

When the dust settles though, I will root for Judah as loudly as any other cuse player. He's family and I wish him and the team the best. I doubt you can come up with one person on this board who isn't a Judah fan, even with some of the criticism.
i think the frustrating thing about Judah for a lot of people is the stuff he struggles with, it seems like he could change...its fixable and mostly mental. at least thats how it appears.

whereas, with most other players, the stuff they struggle with is due to lack of talent or ability or speed or whatever...and much harder for them to do anything about it.

whatever the case, this team needs a PG...a table setter that gets everyone involved and makes the offense run smoothly...judah isnt that player, imo. point blank. at least not yet, anyway.

as good as judah is, there's a lot of untapped potential for him to unlock still.

his future in the NBA - if he makes it - will be as a PG...so I wish he would start trying to play more like a PG than a SG...but I guess its just not him and his game...

i think the frustrating thing about Judah for a lot of people is the stuff he struggles with, it seems like he could change...its fixable and mostly mental. at least thats how it appears.

whereas, with most other players, the stuff they struggle with is due to lack of talent or ability or speed or whatever...and much harder for them to do anything about it.

whatever the case, this team needs a PG...a table setter that gets everyone involved and makes the offense run smoothly...judah isnt that player, imo. point blank. at least not yet, anyway.

as good as judah is, there's a lot of untapped potential for him to unlock still.

his future in the NBA - if he makes it - will be as a PG...so I wish he would start trying to play more like a PG than a SG...but I guess its just not him and his game...
He is a scoring guard, he doesn't have the instincts to be a point guard. The off guard is where he can be successful in the NBA.

Of course he needs to improve in a number of areas as do every player in college basket but the vitriol that comes from his criticism is palpable and seems to come from a place of contempt and hate. Guys in the nba need to work on stuff. Top draft projections need to work on stuff. Judah is by no means perfect and the same holds true for RJ Davis, PJ Hall, Reece Beekman, Armando Bacot, Quintin Post, Rob Dillingham, Reed Shepard, DJ Wagner Tyler Kolect, Joe Girrard, Hunter Salis, etc. You get my point. Most of you guys probably never played basketball beyond youth league but you make comments like you know everything from shooting form to playing defense. It’s not so much the comments you make it’s the tenor that you use. That goes not only for Judah but for all these young men.

What a dumb comment that the team played better without Judah. He didn’t have his usual scoring night but still made significant contributions. Made big free throws down the stretch, got three steals and played good defense, and made the assist to Bell on his timely 3 ball late in the game. I’m so tired of all you Judah haters out there and will be glad when he leaves, even if he doesn’t get drafted, which he probably will. But if he doesn’t I’d want to see him go to the portal to a tournament contention team like Joe did. Judah is still the best player in the team but is undervalued and under appreciated by all you haters out there. Happy to see Maliq come on. He’s got so much potential and is a great kid. Same goes for Q. But the numbers don’t lie. Judah leads team in scoring, steals, assists, free throws attempted/made and free throw %. Plus he’s a leader on this team and well thought of by coaching staff and teammates. Do really think they are better without him? If so, That’s freaking nuts!
For the game against BC, yes. The team played better when Judah wasn't in. Just this one game. He didn't play well. Is that hard to understand? Not a hater, just telling you my perspective from the last game. If you disagree, cool. 1-7 from the field and the eye test says otherwise though.
I never questioned a player's character or work ethic.I dont know any player or coach personally. But I can comment on their performances. Especially now because they can legally get paid.

Have a wonderful day and I hope all our players have success

Judah has great vision. Have you considered it might be the offense they run. That’s not his fault. When he does have the ball other guys don’t have to stand and watch, they can move and he certainly will find them. You may not see him suited for a point guard but obviously there some nba people that do. Today’s point guards also get buckets. Yes you are old school!

He is a scoring guard, he doesn't have the instincts to be a point guard. The off guard is where he can be successful in the NBA.

He's too small to defend an NBA SG. They typically run 6-5 to 6-7 these days, and are much stronger than Mintz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom