BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

The team is just better when Quadir & Maliq are playing, it’s that simple.

Also a reminder that we really just don’t have knock down perimeter shooters outside of Bell. The Orange will just need to continue finding other ways to win, i.e. we really do get a TON of tips & steals on defense, which leads to easy buckets (haha or should, we struggled on finishing the fast breaks tonight) on the other end.

Edit: Does MaliQuadir work;)?
Qulikq

My thoughts - Maliq is our best player. More of a fact than a thought at this point. Bell, Benny, Taylor...we need at least 1 of those 3 to have a good game if we are going to win on any given night. Tonught it was Bells turn. We know about his d and rebounding, but he was making shots and made a few big ones towards the end of the game. Solid effort tonight by him.

Q should start over Taylor. Did JJ play tonight? I hardly remember seeing him do anything on the court..good or bad. He's been a ghost recently. Weird Judah didn't start, but he seemed to have one of his average games. Make a three and get the rest of his points from the ft line while playing average at best d. Team d looked good at times, and I feel like McLeod playing tonight would have hurt us. Cuffe is a little wild man out there and i think he'll have a nice role for us next year. Sucks we are such a bad shooting team. Red really needs to work on developing better offensive sets for us. The o looked terrible at times tonight. Lots of passing the ball around the 3pt line. I think NC is going to crush us...
When you can’t shoot, it’s hard to run offensive sets. Having to guard shooters create so many problems for defenses. We don’t force team to hedge hard or even switch. It’s hard to slip screens when teams don’t need to worry about getting out to cover shooters. Brown is giving us a post scorer, s might open up a little.

We need a shot doctor. Shooting form on Taylor, mintz and JJ is bad.

Also have to say if we got the whistles BC got tonight this board would be on fire. Judah got bailed out a few times down the stretch.
He did. but BC banged all night long and didnt get whistled. Is what it is. Brown was pushed off at least 4 times uncalled

Team plays hard and at times is a force on the defensive end as we saw in the 1st half against BC, just terrorized them. . That said its fatally flawed offensively. Yuu can see why against the 4-5 top 25 teams we've played the scores have been so lopsided. Team has 1 consistent shooter but he can't rebound at all and the team in general is a bad rebounding squad and an awful shooting team. Q is coming along nicely and Brown was a guy I thought was undervalued last year and this year he's finally getting the props he deserves. However, without Westry adding some scoring punch hard to see this team winning against upper level squads as the shooting just isn't there. Teams getting almost nothing offensively from Benny, Taylor or JJ and the 3 of them just be shooting 15% from 3 on the year. Cuffe is a decent player but he has no real position at this level as he's a tweener. Not really a guard and to short to play forward.
I don't think there fatally flawed at all. Yeah, if you're looking for a finished product, but it's a team of sophs. I haven't seen a kid I would count out on this team right now, if they get it and put in the work. Yes, there are areas for improvement and/or areas that we wish were better, but i'm gonna see where they go for now.

Team played better without Judah. He needs to look to get his teammates involved more. Bell played a hell of a game in 1st half and had huge shots in the 2nd half to let the air out of the building.

Copeland and Maliq are constants. My type of players that I would take on ANY team

Also have to say if we got the whistles BC got tonight this board would be on fire. Judah got bailed out a few times down the stretch.
There may have been others but that foul by Post at the end was definitely the right call. Had his arm right on Judah's shooting arm as he began his motion. Liked his choice to go against the mismatch there.

JJ is just so passive on offense. Time and time again he catches with an open three, but will just puts it on the floor. Shooting has become a second thought. His head is all messed up.

Copeland is a revelation and the key to the offense becoming a solid unit. The only guard we have who can playmake especially out of the pick and roll and it opens up the halfcourt for us.

Credit to Red for keeping the ball in his hands even late game when it's not easy to tell Mintz he can't be the one initiating

Watching this game was remarkably reminiscent to the disaster on January 6, and I’m not talking about the capital. It really reminded me of that horrific loss to Pitt.
-The bright side was that Maliq saved us again. He was outstanding.
-Will be interesting to see what caused Judah to be benched. Getting benched and playing poor defense is not a recipe to find yourself in the first round. To his credit he did make some big free throws down the stretch. But when they were showing how BC got back in the game the highlight package, Judah was getting repeatedly beat off the dribble.
-Quadir was huge for us. If he just tones it down a little bit and takes care of the ball and doesn’t look to be in the sportscenter top 10 on every play, he will continue his ascent.
-I give Bell a ton of credit after coming back from his debacle at Duke. That three pointer was the biggest shot of the game. His rebounding was absolutely atrocious, and he was a big reason why BC was so dominant on the offensive class. But we really needed his offense, and he came through.
-this was as bad as Benny has been in some time. It’s one thing when he is hustling and isn’t productive, but it is much worse when he is taking flat three-pointers, which are effectively a turnover. We really needed him tonight and Red could not keep him on the court.
-I know he hasn’t played so he is likely rusty and obviously not totally healthy, but Hima gave us zero. For all the complaining about McLeod, at least he provides some rim protection.
-But at the end of the day we beat BC by 10 and that really is all that matters. This team has done a good job of holding serve against teams we should beat and Red reserves credit for that. But I also can’t help but think that BC really didn’t want to be there and we should’ve taken care of business and not made this a game. hoping we can raise our level significantly in North Carolina.

Add Q to that list as well. It's weird for one team to have so many players with odd/ugly looking jump shots. Bell and maybe Cuffe & Brown appear to be the only rotation guys with a "normal" or proper shooting form.

Last edited:
I don't think there fatally flawed at all. Yeah, if you're looking for a finished product, but it's a team of sophs. I haven't seen a kid I would count out on this team right now, if they get it and put in the work. Yes, there are areas for improvement and/or areas that we wish were better, but i'm gonna see where they go for now.

Fatally flawed from an offensive standpoint as I noted. Were 15 games in, it's clear this team has a major shooting issue that isn't going to suddenly clear up or suddenly turn around.

We are going to go like 19-12 and if we win a game or two in DC we will play in the first four and beat Arizona St or something. We will get our teeth kicked in on the road against any team with a pulse, win games as a favorite at home and maybe spring an upset or two.

The stuff happening on the court can be erratic but the team as a whole is very predictable.

Watching this game was remarkably reminiscent to the disaster on January 6, and I’m not talking about the capital. It really reminded me of that horrific loss to Pitt.
-The bright side was that Maliq saved us again. He was outstanding.
-Will be interesting to see what caused Judah to be benched. Getting benched and playing poor defense is not a recipe to find yourself in the first round. To his credit he did make some big free throws down the stretch. But when they were showing how BC got back in the game the highlight package, Judah was getting repeatedly beat off the dribble.
-Quadir was huge for us. If he just tones it down a little bit and takes care of the ball and doesn’t look to be in the sportscenter top 10 on every play, he will continue his ascent.
-I give Bell a ton of credit after coming back from his debacle at Duke. That three pointer was the biggest shot of the game. His rebounding was absolutely atrocious, and he was a big reason why BC was so dominant on the offensive class. But we really needed his offense, and he came through.
-this was as bad as Benny has been in some time. It’s one thing when he is hustling and isn’t productive, but it is much worse when he is taking flat three-pointers, which are effectively a turnover. We really needed him tonight and Red could not keep him on the court.
-I know he hasn’t played so he is likely rusty and obviously not totally healthy, but Hima gave us zero. For all the complaining about McLeod, at least he provides some rim protection.
-But at the end of the day we beat BC by 10 and that really is all that matters. This team has done a good job of holding serve against teams we should beat and Red reserves credit for that. But I also can’t help but think that BC really didn’t want to be there and we should’ve taken care of business and not made this a game. hoping we can raise our level significantly in North Carolina.

Good post. UNC isn't the game you wanna see next though, their D is legit, were gonna struggle to break 50 on Saturday. At least this is freaking Bacot's final year, guys been there since the mid 90s at this point and will probably have 25 rebounds on Sat.

So time and again and again we would steal the ball, someone would get right under the basket for an easy 2, and instead they throw it out or give it up to someone else by the basket and then - DOINK! We don’t get a basket. This has to have happened a dozen times tonight. I know they’re trying to be unselfish but for God’s sake, if you have the shot, take the shot!

Am I wrong? :rolleyes:

Maliq Brown is a NBA player. Such an understated but highly effective two-way player. Will never be a star but will be a rotation player in the league for a long time bc he's just a smart, fundamentally sound basketball player.

And props to Red and his staff for slowly molding a gifted but raw Copeland into another solid player. His passing skills are elite and he's getting better at playing under control and eliminating turnovers - so much so that he now appears to be the closing ball handler and did a damn good job of it tonight!
Hard to believe Cope did not have any TOs because he dribbled into 3 or 4 defenders a bunch.

Fatally flawed from an offensive standpoint as I noted. Were 15 games in, it's clear this team has a major shooting issue that isn't going to suddenly clear up or suddenly turn around.
Maybe, maybe not. There are clearly shooting issues, luckily that's only one part of the game.

So time and again and again we would steal the ball, someone would get right under the basket for an easy 2, and instead they throw it out or give it up to someone else by the basket and then - DOINK! We don’t get a basket. This has to have happened a dozen times tonight. I know they’re trying to be unselfish but for God’s sake, if you have the shot, take the shot!

Am I wrong? :rolleyes:
Our guys also bumbled the ball a bunch on fast breaks and under the basket and BC would come up with the ball, not sure why BC was credited with only 4 steals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom