Be happy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Be happy

We'd be Rutgers-level bad if we kept Shafer this year.

We'd be Rutgers-level bad if we kept Shafer this year.
No we wouldn't. 2nd year in Lester's system and we don't have a defense that gives up 50+ points 4 times this year. That being said Dino has a higher ceiling but also feel like he has a deeper cellar too, see UL game. Shafer never lost a game in the first 3 minutes. Something else to think about. I still support Dino but I have serious reservations about his defensive philosophies. We gave up 45+ points in half our games this year.

Last edited:
It's like buying lottery tickets for a retirement strategy...
what-do-you-mean--meme-7608.jpg

No we wouldn't. 2nd year in Lester's system and we don't have a defense that gives up 50+ points 5 times this year. That being said Dino has a higher ceiling but also feel like he has a deeper cellar too, see UL game. Shafer never lost a game in the first 3 minutes. Something else to think about. I still support Dino but I have serious reservations about his defensive philosophies. We gave up 45+ points in half our games this year.
shafers defense fell apart last year too with much better talent

the writing was on the wall with the defense

offense got 7% better per play, defense got 11% worse

we plucked some low hanging fruit by going it a lot more

per play, we were worse this year. defense gave up 27% more than offense. 2015, defense gave up 22% more per play

total yards per game allowed in 2015 was 37% worse than the offense

this year it was 14% worse

not being stupid about punting prevented this year from being worse - much smaller total yards percentage gap because of it

shafers defense fell apart last year too with much better talent

the writing was on the wall with the defense

offense got 7% better per play, defense got 11% worse

we plucked some low hanging fruit by going it a lot more

per play, we were worse this year. defense gave up 27% more than offense. 2015, defense gave up 22% more per play

total yards per game allowed in 2015 was 37% worse than the offense

this year it was 14% worse

not being stupid about punting prevented this year from being worse - much smaller total yards percentage gap because of it
I see alot of numbers but I do know this, despite all this offensive prowess, we scored the exact same number of TDs as last year, ended up with the same record, are sitting in the same spot in the conference, etc. Shafer's defenses have always been good and last year was a bit of an anomoly. The problem is that Baber's defenses are traditionally bad. 115th the year before he got here and well you saw what happened this year. We gave up 45+ points in half of our games. At that rate even if we avg 40 points per game we are 6 in the hole just to start. This is not a we should have kept Shafer, the man's gametime antics, horrible clock management, etc were too much. I just want Dino to fix the defense and do not accept this notion that we can't have a Shafer defense with a Dino offense. Can you even imagine????

I see alot of numbers but I do know this, despite all this offensive prowess, we scored the exact same number of TDs as last year, ended up with the same record, are sitting in the same spot in the conference, etc. Shafer's defenses have always been good and last year was a bit of an anomoly. The problem is that Baber's defenses are traditionally bad. 115th the year before he got here and well you saw what happened this year. We gave up 45+ points in half of our games. At that rate even if we avg 40 points per game we are 6 in the hole just to start.
defensive scores, kick returns, kicking, and overtime

i'm trying not to get frustrated here but it's been posted a million times and it's not really debatable.

bowling green was 50th in per play defense last year. and they went 10-3 with babers (didn't coach the last game, iirc)

defensive scores, kick returns, kicking, and overtime

i'm trying not to get frustrated here but it's been posted a million times and it's not really debatable.
45+ points in half of our games and most of it against our defense. I really don't care how we get points or how we give them up, what matters is that we got more than we gave up at the end of the day and that's going to be really hard with a defense that gives up close to 50 against any type of real competition. All I want is to play both. Not even sure why somebody would argue that point with me.

45+ points in half of our games and most of it against our defense. I really don't care how we get points or how we give them up, what matters is that we got more than we gave up at the end of the day and that's going to be really hard with a defense that gives up close to 50 against any type of real competition.
if you think shafer has a magic formula for scoring on defense, ok.

if you think shafer has a magic formula for scoring on defense, ok.
Magic? I don't think pressuring the QB into making mistakes is magic. I don't think tackling while trying to strip the ball is magic. Do you?

Magic? I don't think pressuring the QB into making mistakes is magic. I don't think tackling while trying to strip the ball is magic. Do you?
if it's not luck, then you should give babers the same credit for bowling green forcing turnovers

I see alot of numbers but I do know this, despite all this offensive prowess, we scored the exact same number of TDs as last year, ended up with the same record, are sitting in the same spot in the conference, etc. Shafer's defenses have always been good and last year was a bit of an anomoly. The problem is that Baber's defenses are traditionally bad. 115th the year before he got here and well you saw what happened this year. We gave up 45+ points in half of our games. At that rate even if we avg 40 points per game we are 6 in the hole just to start. This is not a we should have kept Shafer, the man's gametime antics, horrible clock management, etc were too much. I just want Dino to fix the defense and do not accept this notion that we can't have a Shafer defense with a Dino offense. Can you even imagine????

We should stop looking at stats that don't account for tempo.

Bowling Green was #50 in Yards per Play allowed. Shafer/Bullough's D was #106 last year.

Go by total yards for last season? BG is #86 and Shafer/Bullough #99.

(This year was bad by both metrics)

if it's not luck, then you should give babers the same credit for bowling green forcing turnovers
He can have all the credit in the world for it, his championship team had the 115th ranked defense too.

We should stop looking at stats that don't account for tempo.

Bowling Green was #50 in Yards per Play allowed. Shafer/Bullough's D was #106 last year.

Go by total yards for last season? BG is #86 and Shafer/Bullough #99.

(This year was bad by both metrics)
Helps, the right perspective usually does. My whole point here is simply that we can have both. Everything I've read about the Tampa-2 in college doesn't look good and Babers defensive numbers pretty much back that up.

He can have all the credit in the world for it, his championship team had the 115th ranked defense too.
they outgained their opponents by 130 yards and by 1.3 yards per play . if you want to be a meathead and mistake more plays with being worse on defense, that's your prerogative.

they outgained their opponents by 130 yards and by 1.3 yards per play . if you want to be a meathead and mistake more plays with being worse on defense, that's your prerogative.
0fc.gif

Helps, the right perspective usually does. My whole point here is simply that we can have both. Everything I've read about the Tampa-2 in college doesn't look good and Babers defensive numbers pretty much back that up.

I honestly believe that's a fair take. My only caution is that we haven't seen it with players suited to it or with a lead very often.

If Babers said they were hiring Shafer, I'd be happy with that choice. But I'm willing to wait to see if Ward gets better next season.

What is the point of having a "talent" if he leaves the team in the lurch in the middle of the season? Dungey is a boxer with a glass jaw. He has proven incapable of a full campaign. It's like buying lottery tickets for a retirement strategy...

Both Dungey and Mahoney should have played from game 1...

So play them both and try to pick and choose which plays ED might get hurt on and play ZM those plays? ED has huge onions , onions that get him in trouble.

No we wouldn't. 2nd year in Lester's system and we don't have a defense that gives up 50+ points 4 times this year. That being said Dino has a higher ceiling but also feel like he has a deeper cellar too, see UL game. Shafer never lost a game in the first 3 minutes. Something else to think about. I still support Dino but I have serious reservations about his defensive philosophies. We gave up 45+ points in half our games this year.

The difference this year was having a punchers chance with the offense . that said we could have stole the wake and ncst games with shafer playing an attacking style of D. trade those 2 and add in a loss for VT and thats a possible 5-7 with shaf. love dino but lets see what ward can do next year. changes better happen fast with MTSU on the horizon .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom