Been Staying Away since UNC | Syracusefan.com

Been Staying Away since UNC

Cuse12

All Conference
I shut off the game when we were down 30+ and purposely did not indulge in any football forums, radio, media etc. since Saturday. I have been mulling over some low and high level thoughts and figured this is the outlet.

1. The past has ruined my mindset.
I wish this was not the case, but being burned so often in our last decades and of recent, I just feel like “yup of course this is how it’s going to go” in regards to starting a season strong and petering out. It’s amazing how like clockwork Dino’s teams seem to flame out. Yes injuries I get it, but regardless it’s just conditioned into my brain unfortunately that we are heading for yet another rocky back half of the season. Yes we can turn it around after FSU and have an excellent season for cuse standards. But, I am naturally feeling glass half empty and I am not a glass have emptied kinda guy. Anyone else stuck in this rut of having a hard time seeing positivity?

2. I like Dino, but…
I really do like Dino as the face of our program. Clean cut program. But, I mean if my first point happens and we go 6-6, like what is there to look forwards to? I know it’s cuse not bama. I don’t expect complete domination every year, but I do expect to field a respectable team that likely will lose 3-6 games a year (more then 6 is not an option at this point of Dino’s tenure so I won’t go past 6), but it does matter in regard to how you lose them…. We are laying eggs against better competition. At this point in year 8 I do not think it’s over zealous to want to have a “chance” in every game. Hell App State fans for example feel like they have a shot against anyone I guarantee it. They put up FIGHTS with a great UNC team, yes they’re overmatched like us, but those fans know their team is going to rise to the occasion and fight. I think that’s all I’m asking for in these big games and once a season we upset a better team. Losses of that magnitude send waves across the CFB landscape. The casual guy goes “Jeesh cuse stinks” when scrolling. Not good for recruiting and perception. I can live with losing all these big 3 games, but how are we losing? Yes it matters as this is a barometer for us.

3. What am I trying to say…

Not sure exactly what I’m trying to say. Just rambling really, so let me ramble a little more and let’s see where this paragraph goes.

Our stud WR is just not a stud. Alford was hyped up big time and I am unsure why. Is he a practice star? He does not have enough quick twitch to be effective. Our best healthy wide out is obviously Hatcher right now. I just can’t get over how poorly our WRs have been under Dino. We can’t compete with upper end ACC teams with the talent at WR, I know we got guys hurt, but so does everyone. It’s part of the game and literally has to be a constant every year. Our stars will be hurt, how many? Who knows but we will never go a full season healthy, so we need depth. We were told we have depth but do we? We have bodies but where is the playmaking ability? Seems like our only two playmakers are hurt to me, OG and IJ. Not sure what we have to do to find productive ACC wide outs, but we are suffering severely because we can’t beat ACC defenders.

I am a huge fan of Shrader. Kids got the heart of a lion. But the recipe is kinda simple, stop his legs and you will win the game. As much as he says he wants to pass first and really seems to want to be a good pocket passer, I just don’t think he is great at it. I think he is a good pocket qb. But with our line perennially suspect like - we need a QB who can sling it quickly and effectively. Also I’m not ignorant to the fact that our WRs are not probably helping him. What I’m getting at, is if a team shuts down our running game between Shrader and Allen….we cannot win with an air raid attack. We simply need to have the legs open up the play action. It’s a symbiotic relationship. And we definitely can’t pass first to open up run I don’t believe at this time.

I am not calling for Dinos head. Let me say that first. But, if we finish mediocre again this year (limping to 7-5/6-6 meaning we went 3-5 or 2-6 after starting 4-0) , then what exactly is next for our trajectory at being a competitive ACC team going forward? I know this school is hard to win at, but there are also a lot of hard to win at schools who find ways. I feel like our team is pretty solid in the talent department for a Dino led team. One of the best I thought. More decent depth all over the team then in the last I thought. So if we don’t look like we belong on the same turf as UNC this year…. What’s the future going to bring? I’m very conflicted in my thoughts of Dino going forward.

Thanks for reading this if you got this far and I hope we see a team progress through the back half of the year instead of deteriorate (maybe I finally found a single sentence that sums up why I began this post.) That’s what I need to see to keep me on the Dino train. Dino please win out or something and make us forget about UNC,Clemson and FSU. Lol.

Cuse12

Last edited:
I shut off the game when we were down 30+ and purposely did not indulge in any football forums, radio, media etc. since Saturday. I have been mulling over some low and high level thoughts and figured this is the outlet.

I wish this was not the case, but being burned so often in our last decades and of recent, I just feel like “yup of course this is how it’s going to go” in regards to starting a season strong and petering out. It’s amazing how like clockwork Dino’s teams seem to flame out. Yes injuries I get it, but regardless it’s just conditioned into my brain unfortunately that we are heading for yet another rocky back half of the season. Yes we can turn it around after FSU and have an excellent season for cuse standards. But, I am naturally feeling glass half empty and I am not a glass have emptied kinda guy. Anyone else stuck in this rut of having a hard time seeing positivity?

2. I like Dino, but…
I really do like Dino as the face of our program. Clean cut program. But, I mean if my first point happens and we go 6-6, like what is there to look forwards to? I know it’s cuse not bama. I don’t expect complete domination every year, but I do expect to field a respectable team that likely will lose 3-6 games a year (more then 6 is not an option at this point of Dino’s tenure so I won’t go past 6), but it does matter in regard to how you lose them…. We are laying eggs against better competition. At this point in year 8 I do not think it’s over zealous to want to have a “chance” in every game. Hell App State fans for example feel like they have a shot against anyone I guarantee it. They put up FIGHTS with a great UNC team, yes they’re overmatched like us, but those fans know their team is going to rise to the occasion and fight. I think that’s all I’m asking for in these big games and once a season we upset a better team. Losses of that magnitude send waves across the CFB landscape. The casual guy goes “Jeesh cuse stinks” when scrolling. Not good for recruiting and perception. I can live with losing all these big 3 games, but how are we losing? Yes it matters as this is a barometer for us.

Not sure exactly what I’m trying to say. Just rambling really, so let me ramble a little more and let’s see where this paragraph goes.

Our stud WR is just not a stud. Alford was hyped up big time and I am unsure why. Is he a practice star? He does not have enough quick twitch to be effective. Our best healthy wide out is obviously Hatcher right now. I just can’t get over how poorly our WRs have been under Dino. We can’t compete with upper end ACC teams with the talent at WR, I know we got guys hurt, but so does everyone. It’s part of the game and literally has to be a constant every year. Our stars will be hurt, how many? Who knows but we will never go a full season healthy, so we need depth. We were told we have depth but do we? We have bodies but where is the playmaking ability? Seems like our only two playmakers are hurt to me, OG and IJ. Not sure what we have to do to find productive ACC wide outs, but we are suffering severely because we can’t beat ACC defenders.

I am a huge fan of Shrader. Kids got the heart of a lion. But the recipe is kinda simple, stop his legs and you will win the game. As much as he says he wants to pass first and really seems to want to be a good pocket passer, I just don’t think he is great at it. I think he is a good pocket qb. But with our line perennially suspect like - we need a QB who can sling it quickly and effectively. Also I’m not ignorant to the fact that our WRs are not probably helping him. What I’m getting at, is if a team shuts down our running game between Shrader and Allen….we cannot win with an air raid attack. We simply need to have the legs open up the play action. It’s a symbiotic relationship. And we definitely can’t pass first to open up run I don’t believe at this time.

I am not calling for Dinos head. Let me say that first. But, if we finish mediocre again this year (limping to 7-5/6-6 meaning we went 3-5 or 2-6 after starting 4-0) , then what exactly is next for our trajectory at being a competitive ACC team going forward? I know this school is hard to win at, but there are also a lot of hard to win at schools who find ways. I feel like our team is pretty solid in the talent department for a Dino led team. One of the best I thought. More decent depth all over the team then in the last I thought. So if we don’t look like we belong on the same turf as UNC this year…. What’s the future going to bring? I’m very conflicted in my thoughts of Dino going forward.

Thanks for reading this if you got this far and I hope we see a team progress though the back half of the year instead of deteriorate (maybe I finally found a single sentence that sums up why I began this post.) That’s what I need to see to keep me on the Dino train. Dino please win out or something and make us forget about UNC,Clemson and FSU. Lol.

Cuse12

I think your thoughts are what a lot of Syracuse fans are thinking……

I don’t mind we lose to Clemson, UNC and FSU this season but it’s how we lose.

Going to the game Saturday was brutal. I didn’t expect us to win, but I didn’t expect us to be out of the game midway through the first quarter……..

Yeah, its how we lose. Frustrating. No answers. Agree with everything you say.

Just hoping for more competitive ball, no injuries, and our star players to make fewer back-breaking mistakes, and our coaches to take some calculated risks.

Wish I had an answer for the NIL issue.

Wish I had an answer for the coaching issues.

If we lose no more than 4, I think the pain of these 3 games will subside. But, if we lose 5 or more than things will be turbulent around here.

I think your thoughts are what a lot of Syracuse fans are thinking……

I don’t mind we lose to Clemson, UNC and FSU this season but it’s how we lose.

Going to the game Saturday was brutal. I didn’t expect us to win, but I didn’t expect us to be out of the game midway through the first quarter……..
That is GROB bad right there

Shafer bad, no one is Grob lose by 20 to Akron at home bad
Yeah I agree. G rob never beats Purdue at Purdue. G Rob never comes back to beat army. Shafer beats army on a missed FG called good lol and shafer definitely gets blown out like we did against Clemson and unc. G rob would have laid 0 points against both unc and Clemson lol

2. I like Dino, but…

Thanks for reading this if you got this far and I hope we see a team progress through the back half of the year instead of deteriorate (maybe I finally found a single sentence that sums up why I began this post.) That’s what I need to see to keep me on the Dino train. Dino please win out or something and make us forget about UNC,Clemson and FSU. Lol.

Cuse12

Everyone uses App St as some kind of example just because 2 years in a row they almost beat UNC. App St isn’t all that. Sometimes a team just plays well against certain teams and has their number. Last year App St finished 6-6 and 3-5 in conference. This year they are 3-3 and have lost to Wyoming and Coastal Carolina while beating UL Monroe by 1.

Everyone uses App St as some kind of example just because 2 years in a row they almost beat UNC. App St isn’t all that. Sometimes a team just plays well against certain teams and has their number. Last year App St finished 6-6 and 3-5 in conference. This year they are 3-3 and have lost to Wyoming and Coastal Carolina while beating UL Monroe by 1.
Ya I’ll admit I shot out that take from the hip lol

agreed, you can't play the Kevin Bacon game with sports and match ups, I just don't see it.

I feel that if Dino had more "Fire" on the sideline so would the team. He is so emotionless that it seems like he is bored. I believe the team emilites the head coaches persona. The teams that win are the ones with a fiery head coach (ie: Dabo), that is not Dino. He is more like grandpa asking for permission to talk to the official about a penalty call. Personally, I hope SU moves on from this staff as it is not working.

I feel that if Dino had more "Fire" on the sideline so would the team. He is so emotionless that it seems like he is bored. I believe the team emilites the head coaches persona. The teams that win are the ones with a fiery head coach (ie: Dabo), that is not Dino. He is more like grandpa asking for permission to talk to the official about a penalty call. Personally, I hope SU moves on from this staff as it is not working.
And yet if we win say 7 games this season, that would be two winning seasons in a row. That is something to build on. Please, I am not defending Dino here. Just stating that schools like Syracuse don't and shouldn't fire a coach after two straight winning seasons.

Ya I’ll admit I shot out that take from the hip lol

I used your post to respond but you’re far from the only one.

He’s not a raving lunatic on the sidelines but your post couldn’t be further from the truth. Go read the other thread about him on the sidelines and what others said.

I'm a little frustrated but not much. The schedule is what we asked for. People were screaming for easy early season wins to get bowl eligible, knowing we had tough games in-conference. If these three games weren't all in a row with instead some easier conference games interspersed that gave us another win or two going into this game we'd all feel better. If we're going to do 90's Virginia Tech non-conference scheduling, people will need to temper expectations after we blow out the scrubs.

I'm a little frustrated but not much. The schedule is what we asked for. People were screaming for easy early season wins to get bowl eligible, knowing we had tough games in-conference. If these three games weren't all in a row with instead some easier conference games interspersed that gave us another win or two going into this game we'd all feel better. If we're going to do 90's Virginia Tech non-conference scheduling, people will need to temper expectations after we blow out the scrubs.
People 2 years ago were clamoring for back to back winning seasons, get 7 wins go to a bowl and keep building, now they are moving the goalposts. " But I don't like the way we lose or win for that matter"

7 wins is 7 wins and Dino 99% stays. pretty cut and dry and I have no idea why people are still debating it.

is it perfect? Not even close but it's the parameters that his boss clearly laid out, not much more one can say.

And yet if we win say 7 games this season, that would be two winning seasons in a row. That is something to build on. Please, I am not defending Dino here. Just stating that schools like Syracuse don't and shouldn't fire a coach after two straight winning seasons.
Yeah the man is very flawed but no way he is fired, nor should he be, if we win at least 7. I think 6 should get him fired, back to back bowl or not, but I don’t know what ADJW would do in that case

Yeah the man is very flawed but no way he is fired, nor should he be, if we win at least 7. I think 6 should get him fired, back to back bowl or not, but I don’t know what ADJW would do in that case
I’m like a broken record but 7-5 (with 6 wins over FBS teams) is tied for the second best regular season record in the last 20 years. To do it twice in a row would be a giant boon for Dino and Syracuse as a whole. The fanbases outsized expectations shouldn’t change that fact that Syracuse can’t get to top-25 level football without first making it to a couple bowls in a row. That’s not excusing the blow outs, that needs to change but 7-8 wins should never result in someone getting fired at Syracuse considering the lack of success it has had this millennium.

Yeah I agree. G rob never beats Purdue at Purdue. G Rob never comes back to beat army. Shafer beats army on a missed FG called good lol and shafer definitely gets blown out like we did against Clemson and unc. G rob would have laid 0 points against both unc and Clemson lol
Isn't GRob the only Syracuse coach to beat Notre Dame?

While Grob was horrible he somehow managed to beat both Notre Dame and Louisville on the road. No way Dino’s teams do that. Also the Middle Tennessee team that Shafer was the DC on embarrassed Dino in the Dome. See…it’s easy to cherry pick.

I agree. For me its simple win make a bowl keep your job if not at this point move on. I like this staff and hope that we can keep it together for the next 2 years at a minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom