Benny's Legacy | Syracusefan.com

Benny's Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

imdevo

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Scorer
What would Benny have to do going forward to "clean his slate" with the fans?

He's obviously disappointed everyone, just curious.

These kids don't owe me anything. It can be frustrating as a fan when you see potential and talent that you never possessed but its not being realized on the court. Still I never take it personally and the kids do not owe me anything. I no longer have any expectations for his play which is like a clean slate in a way. I did notice Benny appeared to enjoy being out there and was enjoying the success of his teammates when he was on the floor and on the bench. I was happy for him. I hope whatever happens with his game he continues to find joy in the experience.

haha. agree with the above. But really I don't think it's about legacy or anything Benny owes us as fans. I'd like to see the kid have success because, even with some of the off-court stuff, I'm sure he's basically a solid kid. Would love for him to have success and for us to be the beneficiaries of said success.

I think for him it's a matter of intensity and re-thinking who he is as a player. I'm fine with him shooting some threes, but get out and run, make hard cuts through the middle, look to make an impact as a passer, work your tail off defensively and on the glass. That stuff would make him a far better basketball player despite what a lot of people might be telling him about his jumper and his handle and all that nonsense.

Benny wouldn't keep getting opportunities if the staff didn't think his conduct warranted them.
This is it 100%. If Red has no problem with him playing then I have no problem with it. He knows Benny. Everyone here just guesses and speculates. He knows the guy and has for three years now. If Red has Benny back out on the court then Benny has done what he has to do. He is clearly not a lost cause like some suspected. I will give up on the guy when Red does.

What an odd premise for a thread. These are 18-22 year-olds (fine, sometimes 23); Benny wouldn't keep getting opportunities if the staff didn't think his conduct warranted them.

I shouldn't have said he "disappointed everyone"...but he has disappointed a number in the fanbase. At least that's the opinion on the game threads.

Nothing but love for Benny here

He's only half way through his college experience. Tons of players are bad early and good late. If he plays good basketball moving forward, everyone will love him. Fans don't actually care about Benny they just want their team to be good and win. If that happens fans will be happy.

Benny has high end starting caliber ACC potential. If he starts producing to that level, Syracuse will become a much better team than they are now. This team needs a lot of the things he can bring to the table.

Keep playing like he did against Oregon. I.E., let the game come to him, don't "hunt" shots, be active and work hard.

If he does those things, the stats will take care of themselves. And he'll likely position himself to start later in the season, and next year.

His "legacy" from my perspective will hinge upon whether he becomes a viable contributor / starter, or not.

If he does, and does the things that help us win, then I won't be disappointed that he didn't perhaps live up to the lofty HS rating.

But if he doesn't, washes out, and transfers after this year, then it's hard not to envision him being universally viewed as a disappointment who didn't pan out.

Benny had fun on Sunday. He was excited when he scored and just as happy when others scored. If he can keep bringing positive energy, chances are this team is playing well.

If benny plays like he did Sunday he will play a lot more than JT, hard to find 6’10” guys with his ability and athleticism. Changes our size/ length dramatically.

Fans don't actually care about Benny they just want their team to be good and win. If that happens fans will be happy.
Agreed.

Ultimately, it's a lot better if they are good guys AND win, obviously

But we've had winning teams with noted bad guys that I was happier watching over a team full of good guys that had a losing record. Just being honest...

If benny plays like he did Sunday he will play a lot more than JT, hard to find 6’10” guys with his ability and athleticism. Changes our size/ length dramatically.
Maybe. I don’t see the “ability” that people claim to see. Outside of Bell he’s the worst rebounder out of any of our frontcourt players.

We are starting a legacy thread on a guy who’s averaged 4.4 points and 2.6 rpg in 66 career games here after the first productive minutes he’s had all season. He’s the anti Maliq Brown. I don‘t remember a guy given more chances by the fans and coaches for such little production.

"What would Benny have to do going forward to "clean his slate" with the fans?"
to quote the late great Al Davis ...

just-win-baby-76976325.jpg

Stop getting in trouble. Be productive in his minutes.

Maybe win a title with Boeheim's Army down the road.

The expectations for Benny aren't what they once were. Which is fine.
He has the potential to be the worst boeheim’s army player ever! I’m shuddering a bit to imagine him without structure or accountability…but perhaps in a few years I can laugh at myself for thinking that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom