Best dunks by SU player? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best dunks by SU player?

It may not have been a spectacular, explosive throw down, but one of my favorites was Sherman ending the OT win over Georgetown in March 1989 with a reverse dunk. The final home game of a great career, capping off a thrilling comeback against our most hated rival. It was also the final home game of my senior year so it has extra sentimental value.

Another choice would be any of the 374 times Rony dunked on Schintzius and Florida in the 1987 tournament.

What a great video. A point guard that sets guys up for easy baskets. Forwards that run the break like guards. Running off of steals and rebounds. Guys that can finish and awareness of teammates filling the lanes on the break. Will we get to see that again?

Current roster: what's this "lane" you speak of?

Underrated losing effort dunk - Louie McCroskey vs UConn. We lost by a million but the dunk at least made me feel a little better about the night.

Underrated losing effort dunk - Louie McCroskey vs UConn. We lost by a million but the dunk at least made me feel a little better about the night.

It was a great dunk, but he looked dumb talking crap after it when the score was like 40-17 at the time or something.

Warrick had a dunk where he got the ball in the middle of the lane. I think he wanted to drive to the basket but a defender was quick and blocked his path. Running out of time with the 3 second clock, he gathered himself, jumped sideways towards the basket, reached out fully with his freakishly long arm and somehow dunked the ball from an absurd distance from the basket. It was something only he could do. I think it was against Notre Dame but am not sure.

David Johnson had a massive 360 on a breakaway back in the day.

Arinze broke a backboard dunking hard in an exhibition game. I think it was at Manley.

Flynn's dunk against Rosario has to be included in any list on this topic.

And Sherm had a great 360 you can see at the 3:57 mark on this already posted video.

David Johnson had a massive 360 on a breakaway back in the day.

I remember this distinctly, I have not seen it since it happened, and it's on my top 5 "sports plays I wish were on Youtube" list. (Though to be honest the replay probably can't match my memory.)

I kind of think this was Johnson's junior year. It was definitely after he switched to #4.

It may not have been a spectacular, explosive throw down, but one of my favorites was Sherman ending the OT win over Georgetown in March 1989 with a reverse dunk. The final home game of a great career, capping off a thrilling comeback against our most hated rival. It was also the final home game of my senior year so it has extra sentimental value.

Another choice would be any of the 374 times Rony dunked on Schintzius and Florida in the 1987 tournament.
And a guy his height reverse dunking is impressive without a lot of power.

In the 1987 championship game, Sherm tried an alley oop on the break to someone on the left side but the defender blocked it, but Rony without hesitation, running in the right lane completed the alley oop. It’s crazy how athletic those teams were.

Obviously the HW dunk against Texas in '03 meant a lot more and I'd say is probably the best, and there are other high profile dunks mentioned here -- I just recall where I was watching that Flynn dunk against Rutgers. Rutgers was making a little run and that dunk basically ended the game. I was watching in a bar in FL and lost it -- I always seem to put that at the top of my list.

Didn't see this one mentioned, but this was a pretty good one as well:

Obviously the HW dunk against Texas in '03 meant a lot more and I'd say is probably the best, and there are other high profile dunks mentioned here -- I just recall where I was watching that Flynn dunk against Rutgers. Rutgers was making a little run and that dunk basically ended the game. I was watching in a bar in FL and lost it -- I always seem to put that at the top of my list.

I was sitting next to nycfan at the RAC when Jonny posterized Rosario. To this day, my shoulder still aches when it rains from his high five.

At the 35 second mark, John Wallace throws down a brutal dunk. The bad news is it’s sandwiched in between two UConn 3’s.

Wallace’s dunk and foul late in the 96 Kentucky game was big time too.

None of these choices are wrong. But that McCroskey dunk may have been the best "dunk". However, I have never been able to find any documentation that it even happened. Definitely a good thing considering the game that it happened in. If the game turned a different way, we would all be remembering that one. Definitely the best "dunk". We all just wanted no rememberence of that game. So if it didnt happen, my vote is for Hak's flat footed dunk against ND. Honorable mention goes to CJ and Flynn

louie.gif

Impressive for sure. Unselfish sharing of the ball, great fastbreak outlets, everyone with their heads up knowing if they are open they will get the ball and players running full blast without the ball and multiple players who can handle the ball on the break. What a way to put pressure on defenses. Of course these are highlights but the fast paced style, talent, team play and effort is so much fun to watch.

Coleman had one very similar to this at Georgetown, same end of the court, in '89 or '90. Also a good one.

MCW just way up there...

Yeah, I think this was better than the St. John's dunk, though in context the St. John's game was way more exciting (big blowout in Fab's return game in front of a pro-Cuse crowd at MSG).

Good one! Fair had another great one against St. John’s where they called a charge.

Such a BS call. But Carter-Williams gave it up way too early. This was the beginning of the end of savvy guard play (not specifically this play, but just several like this during that season).

At the 35 second mark, John Wallace throws down a brutal dunk. The bad news is it’s sandwiched in between two UConn 3’s.

Wallace’s dunk and foul late in the 96 Kentucky game was big time too.

a) Awesome dunk. I have 0 memory of this.
b) The zone was such a LOL-level tavern-league defense back in the day; our guys were lollygagging all over the place.
c) I really don't like Kevin Ollie.

If everyone wants to post YouTube links of their favorite dunks outside of the Syracuse dunk tape, I'll put a new dunk tape together.

EDIT: Outside the ones already posted.

a) Awesome dunk. I have 0 memory of this.
b) The zone was such a LOL-level tavern-league defense back in the day; our guys were lollygagging all over the place.
c) I really don't like Kevin Ollie.

All I remembered was that Wallace had a huge dunk and Vitale was going insane that game. Found both in the same clip.

But Vitale was doing that all game, lol. That was a little before his unbearable Dukie V era, so I liked him at that time.

That Ollie 3 where Moten pointed, and Lloyd stood there was almost comically bad.

Wes Johnson had an insanely clean one handed dunk off a very high and fairly difficult alley oop pass from Rautins. He made it look way too easy and my goodness that dudes hops in general were just silly. Couldn't find a video of just the single highlight but this video shows it very briefly at 1:15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom