Best SU pre-season tourney field? | Syracusefan.com

Best SU pre-season tourney field?

PoppyHart

All American
The Battle 4 Atlantis looks loaded, with UNC, Wiscy, Florida, UCLA, Gtown, Oklahoma, and Butler.

What's the best 8 team or greater field we've ever competed against? It's probably back in the 1980's, perhaps the 1988 Preseason NIT?

Based on name appeal, that's one of the deepest fields.

1995 Rainbow Classic didn't have the depth, but Illinois and (especially) UMass made for a tough draw. And we prepared for it by stopping at #3 Arizona on the way out.

The Battle 4 Atlantis looks loaded, with UNC, Wiscy, Florida, UCLA, Gtown, Oklahoma, and Butler.

What's the best 8 team or greater field we've ever competed against? It's probably back in the 1980's, perhaps the 1988 Preseason NIT?

I forgot that because of realignment we wound up in a preseason tourney with someone from our conference. I can't recall if we have a home/home with UNC next year but if so, we could conceivably play them 5 times that season. I wonder if that has ever happened before?

How?

Atlantis, Chapel Hill, Syracuse, ACC Tournament, NCAA Tournament.

I'd like that; I think Boeheim coaches well against Williams.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the premise. UNC plays in the Battle 4 Atlantis this season. SU plays there next season. SU will not play UNC in Atlantis.

UConn, Gonzaga, Syracuse are confirmed for the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis so that has a chance to be the toughest.

Our most difficult recent 2 games in 2 days would probably be the 2008 CBE Classic. We beat Florida and Kansas on back to back days in KC.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the premise. UNC plays in the Battle 4 Atlantis this season. SU plays there next season. SU will not play UNC in Atlantis.

Darn. Guess we won't see history after all.

Yep, OK my bad. I thought he was talking about next year's field when we will be in it. Disregard... I think they moved one of us to a different year to avoid the conference conflict now that I think about it. I remember it being discussed since both SU and UNC were slated for the Atlantis tournament prior to conference realignment.

Yep, OK my bad. I thought he was talking about next year's field when we will be in it. Disregard... I think they moved one of us to a different year to avoid the conference conflict now that I think about it. I remember it being discussed since both SU and UNC were slated for the Atlantis tournament prior to conference realignment.

Yes, SU was supposed to be there this season.

UConn, Gonzaga, Syracuse are confirmed for the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis so that has a chance to be the toughest.

Our most difficult recent 2 games in 2 days would probably be the 2008 CBE Classic. We beat Florida and Kansas on back to back days in KC.

I remember we went m2m against Kansas and Jonny butt-hurt Collins, made him look foolish causing Self to pulled him for a while. That and AO made like every shot he took in that game.

I remember we went m2m against Kansas and Jonny butt-hurt Collins, made him look foolish causing Self to pulled him for a while. That and AO made like every shot he took in that game.

And KU's man-to-man allowed a switch where a big dufus center was guarding Jonny out beyond the 3-pt line with the game on the line. He easily gets by the guy to hit a 3 to put it into OT. That was an awesome game!

6:42 play of the game! Harris with an incredible effort play running hard from the far wing for that block. I had forgotten about that play.

6:42 play of the game! Harris with an incredible effort play running hard from the far wing for that block. I had forgotten about that play.

He and Flynn won that game; I remember the two of them defending like maniacs after we switched to man. That was a really gratifying win. Possibly that team's best effort.

He and Flynn won that game; I remember the two of them defending like maniacs after we switched to man. That was a really gratifying win. Possibly that team's best effort.

They did have that 6OT win as well but yes this was an early season win that was very impressive all things considered.

I think KU hadn't lost in Kansas City since the mid 70's before that game.

I was at that KU game at the Sprint Center with my dad. I can't tell you how awesome that was to come back and beat the Jayhawks in front of a crowd of 99% KU fans - still irks me that's considered a neutral site win!

Based on name appeal, that's one of the deepest fields.

1995 Rainbow Classic didn't have the depth, but Illinois and (especially) UMass made for a tough draw. And we prepared for it by stopping at #3 Arizona on the way out.

1987 Great Alaska Shootout was similar in having Arizona and Michigan as the other top teams.