Best win in the past 10 years? | Syracusefan.com

Best win in the past 10 years?

TheCusian

Living Legend
In looking up the stats for Marrone's first two years to compare to Babers, I stumbled up on some historical context that was interesting. If you use Football Outsiders S&P+ rating (I know some don't like this, feel free to sub your favorite rankings) the VaTech win is the best we've had in 10 years by quite a bit.

In year one? Dino Freaking Babers.

2006-2008/GERG: Not looking at those years
2009/Marrone: Rutgers, #76
2010/Marrone: WVU, #31 / KSTATE, #55
2011/Marrone: WVU, #29
2012/Marrone: Louisville, #57 / WVU, #42
2013/Shafer: BC, #51
2014/Shafer: Central Michigan, #89
2015/Shafer: BC, #67
2016/Babers: VaTech, #13

I thought Louisville in 2012 was rated #12 [or thereabouts] when we played them?

4-6 games really stick out to me in the past decade or so...

I would rank them as follows:

1) Louisville 2012
1A) VT 2016
3) WV 2010
3A) WV 2012
5) K-State 2010
6) WV 2011 (Would be higher, but, the end of that season leaves a bitter taste)

1-3 Really felt like upsets. They are by far my favorie wins from the past decade or so.
#4-6 I expected to a degree. Maybe not how convincingly we beat WV, but, I thought we'd do well in both the Pinstripe and the reg. season in '11.

Rutgers in 2009 probably slides in there somewhere, but, I was way too drunk to remember all of it.

In looking up the stats for Marrone's first two years to compare to Babers, I stumbled up on some historical context that was interesting. If you use Football Outsiders S&P+ rating (I know some don't like this, feel free to sub your favorite rankings) the VaTech win is the best we've had in 10 years by quite a bit.

I think AP ranking makes a lot of sense, because it's something people pay attention to. Gets more coverage during that day, on all the online scoreboards that default to Top 25, more coverage in the postgame shows.

As I said in the other thread, Rutgers was #25 AP when we played them in 2009. They were taking our recruits, and treated the GRob era the way P treated the Shea era. (with the added Schiano handshake smirks). It was our worst nightmare come true. Marrone comes in, year 1, and just wipes the Dome turf with them. I remember it being a late afternoon game, not a full crowd, but a crowd that really got into the game.

2011 WVU was huge as well, at the time. If I forget what happened the rest of the season and go into the mindset of that win, I'd say I probably felt as positive as I did against VT.

VT is equal to any of the others. It's as big as we've had, especially considering how they are playing otherwise. Makes me realize that with this offense, we really can and will own the Dome again.

I think AP ranking makes a lot of sense, because it's something people pay attention to. Gets more coverage during that day, on all the online scoreboards that default to Top 25, more coverage in the postgame shows.

As I said in the other thread, Rutgers was #25 AP when we played them in 2009. They were taking our recruits, and treated the GRob era the way P treated the Shea era. (with the added Schiano handshake smirks). It was our worst nightmare come true. Marrone comes in, year 1, and just wipes the Dome turf with them. I remember it being a late afternoon game, not a full crowd, but a crowd that really got into the game.

2011 WVU was huge as well, at the time. If I forget what happened the rest of the season and go into the mindset of that win, I'd say I probably felt as positive as I did against VT.

VT is equal to any of the others. It's as big as we've had, especially considering how they are playing otherwise. Makes me realize that with this offense, we really can and will own the Dome again.
Tom Savage is still rubbing his back side.

4-6 games really stick out to me in the past decade or so...

I would rank them as follows:

1) Louisville 2012
1A) VT 2016
3) WV 2010
3A) WV 2012
5) K-State 2010
6) WV 2011 (Would be higher, but, the end of that season leaves a bitter taste)

1-3 Really felt like upsets. They are by far my favorite wins from the past decade or so.
#4-6 I expected to a degree. Maybe not how convincingly we beat WV, but, I thought we'd do well in both the Pinstripe and the reg. season in '11.

Rutgers in 2009 probably slides in there somewhere, but, I was way too drunk to remember all of it.

Tend to agree with your ratings- the WV 2010 game was a complete shock at the time. I was hiking in the Adirondacks that weekend without TV or cell service and sat down at a diner in Long Lake the next morning. Picked up a paper and read the result...

Hogue says hello, don't worry I'll be back the next play.
EJ Carter had a pretty good day as a True FR too.

Our total Time of Possession was 40:01 that day. Crazy.

Tend to agree with your ratings- the WV 2010 game was a complete shock at the time. I was hiking in the Adirondacks that weekend without TV or cell service and sat down at a diner in Long Lake the next morning. Picked up a paper and read the result...
I knew a guy in m my company living in WV and was a WVU grad. We were supposed to meet up at the game. Not only did we not meet up but I don't think he has talked to me since.

These can't be rankings. If they are they are all wrong. Not sure where you got this info.

I think the AP is a measure of perception, and by that measure the Louisville game was by far the best win. How we won was very much a part of the story.

I like the S&P+ because it's not perception based at all. Just straight up stats. (Of course what they favor and factor in has some inherent bias).

I think when you factor in that it was year one of new systems, it might surpass all the others.

I think the AP is a measure of perception, and by that measure the Louisville game was by far the best win. How we won was very much a part of the story.

I like the S&P+ because it's not perception based at all. Just straight up stats. (Of course what they favor and factor in has some inherent bias).

I think when you factor in that it was year one of new systems, it might surpass all the others.

I guess it really comes down to how you define "best".

Don't get me wrong, I loved that Louisville win, but that was year 4, and although we had a few early bumps and an early key injury (Pugh), that season really took off to what we'd hoped we'd see by around year 4.

The VT this year and Rutgers 2009 (and let's not forget Northwestern that year) were very "important" wins, because they change the mindset from the losing program that we had been in the couple to few years prior to the new staff.

I'd so much rather be having conversations like this.

I guess it really comes down to how you define "best".

Don't get me wrong, I loved that Louisville win, but that was year 4, and although we had a few early bumps and an early key injury (Pugh), that season really took off to what we'd hoped we'd see by around year 4.

The VT this year and Rutgers 2009 (and let's not forget Northwestern that year) were very "important" wins, because they change the mindset from the losing program that we had been in the couple to few years prior to the new staff.

I'd so much rather be having conversations like this.

Agreed.

I think the Rutgers/NW games were huge for the fanbase, while the Louisville win was big for national perception.

It's interesting to think about the VaTech win plus the viral locker room video might be the hat trick: fans base, national, and recruiting

I agree that in defining "best" you need to differentiate between statistical-best and perception-best.

On the latter, the VaTech win might end up being tops since not only did it send a signal that things are turning around in CNY, but also because the post-game speech went viral and gives us a signature recruiting moment. But if we drop the next 4 a lot of that value is diminished (see: West Virginia win, 2011).

It's pretty telling that SMFS's "best" wins were vs BC x2 & CMU.

We didn't have a single What? win during his tenure.
Closest (to my mind) was maybe the Minne bowl game win.
(even if the stats don't bear that out)

St Doug and even GERG were able to rise up and knock off a team (or 2, for Marrone) each year that you didn't expect.
Shafer never once did that.
I liked the guy a ton, but - it's clear we're much better off already under Dino Freaking Babers.

Imagine if Dino is able to add another What win pelt to the collection this year??
:cool:

I was at the 2009 Rutgers game. It took me from a casual fan to posting reguarly as a football-only. That game was out-of-nowhere special.

In that sense, VT 2016 comes in second, with the 2010 USF and WVU games tied for 3rd.

I would have put money all of the money I barely had in 2012 on us beating Louisville that year.

We were a 1 point underdog to Louisville in 2012. I made a boatload of money betting on Syracuse that game.

That wasn't an upset. Louisville hadn't beaten anyone and we were a better team. They beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl that year but if we hadn't lost to NW/Minnesota teams we should have beaten we play in that BCS bowl.

VPI was the biggest upset we had since 2006. WVU 2010 and WVU 2011 we be next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom