better shooters taking more shots is a good thing | Syracusefan.com

better shooters taking more shots is a good thing

Millhouse

Living Legend
I don't want to read too much into a game against a bad team where the good shooters shot better than normal

but the offense did look better with our three best shooters taking more of the shots.

howard has been a pretty good shooter in conference games

when battle comes back, he needs to relentlessly drive and get layups or kick it out to anyone but brissett

brissett still needs to stay out of the way on offense. this is his 10th game with no 3 pointers and 2 or more 3 pointers taken (triche was the king of that stat Player Game Finder | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com )

we're not better with battle out but I don't want to hear about how good he is at taking hard shots anymore. Enough of the 19 footers.

we're not better with battle out but I don't want to hear about how good he is at taking hard shots anymore. Enough of the 19 footers.

Couldn't agree more on that point. He takes some TOUGH shots. It's all fine and dandy when they fall but we've seen him get shut down pretty often recently. Have to get to the rim or even the floaters in the paint.

I don't want to read too much into a game against a bad team where the good shooters shot better than normal

but the offense did look better with our three best shooters taking more of the shots.

when battle comes back, he needs to relentlessly drive and get layups or kick it out to anyone but brissett

brissett still needs to stay out of the way on offense. this is his 10th game with no 3 pointers and 2 or more 3 pointers taken (triche was the king of that stat Player Game Finder | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com )

Wow just figured out how to use that search tool. Amazing. I was curious so I looked this up over the last 2 seasons- most games shooting 10+ shots but making <=4. Any position. Look at the leader. Tyus even makes the list.

1552572060101.png

It’s amazing how hard JB has been on “guys who can’t shoot 3s shouldnt be shooting 3s” in the past...yet continues to give green light to OB

I was thinking the same thing as the game went along. We looked good having our three best outside shooters on the floor together for extended periods of time.

Wow just figured out how to use that search tool. Amazing. I was curious so I looked this up over the last 2 seasons- most games shooting 10+ shots but making <=4. Any position. Look at the leader. Tyus even makes the list.

View attachment 156386
all the different *reference sites are great. the query tools are amazing. baseball reference is especially great

It’s amazing how hard JB has been on “guys who can’t shoot 3s shouldnt be shooting 3s” in the past...yet continues to give green light to OB

Why does he green light Battle? From March 15th of 2017 till today he is 31.5% from 3. That is bad for a F let alone a G.

It's because we need him on the inside. I get so frustrated when he just hangs on the outside and doesn't try to use his size advantage inside. We should make an effort to post him up early like we used to with Onuaku and Rak.

howard needs to be in the game for his shooting...despite his difficulties and regression this year...he's quietly become a GOOD 3 point shooter...i think his play really suffers when he doesn't get a rhythm and extended minutes...because when he plays about 20 minutes or so...it puts him into a shell...i can almost see the wheels turning in his head worried about getting yanked when he knows it is likely...thats why i think he played his best as a junior ...he KNEW he wasnt getting yanked and could puff his chest out on the court...he needs to be able to play without fear to be his best...(i think the same dynamic is true with Carey as well except he hasnt developed his shot yet)...and extended minutes are the recipe for that.

yeah the offense is slow with him out there and the ball stops more - but if he scores ~15 points and gets assists - he is a valuable threat.

Why does he green light Battle? From March 15th of 2017 till today he is 31.5% from 3. That is bad for a F let alone a G.

It's pretty crazy how many poor shooting guards we've had in the past 8 years or so. I mean, even in some good seasons we've seen some brutal numbers. 12-13, for example, cooney/mcw/triche were absurdly bad and even southerland was under 33% in conference play.

Some of that has to be the fact that we don't do a great job creating open looks, but it will be interesting to see what we look like if JGIII comes in and proves he can hang at this level enough to have stretches of him on the floor with hughes and buddy. No idea if that will happen, but there is no question that our shooting has been a major flaw of like four or five of our last 8 teams.

Because Battle can absolutely dominate a game once he gets in a rhythm. IMO, yes, Battle should shoot less. I'd like to see him as a PG first moving the ball and shifting the defense.

So, from reading this thread:

Our PG is the better shooter, and not all that adept at PG.

Our SG doesn't' shoot all that well, and is better at PG.

This seems odd.

So, from reading this thread:

Our PG is the better shooter, and not all that adept at PG.

Our SG doesn't' shoot all that well, and is better at PG.

This seems odd.
And the best shooter starts on the bench along with the best offensive PF/C

My teenage daughter said during the game last night that the offense should always have Marek touch the ball and that Hughes and Boeheim should do the heavy lifting from beyond the arc. Oshae needs to be shutdown from beyond the arc. Anyone know what he is the last dozen games? Has to be shockingly bad.

I dont care if it goes in or not, but oshae should hang around within 10 feet of the basket and go up with it when he gets the ball. With Bolden out it’s time to get Duke’s freshman to commit some stupid costly fouls.

One of the things that has me somewhat optimistic with OB for next year is his improved passing, virtually non existent last year and still in the embryonic stages but has made a few good finds lately.

Bump OB to the five and Tyus to the three for extended minutes.

Bump OB to the five and Tyus to the three for extended minutes.
I have wondered why boeheim doesn't do this. I don't always agree with him but he usually has good reasons for everything. I wonder if he worries about him fouling out and then having to try to rebound with 2 of the other three bigs on the floor at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom