Big East Basketball isn't doing so hot on TV | Syracusefan.com

Big East Basketball isn't doing so hot on TV

All of the Big East teams have small fanbases and no national appeal. The conference has good teams but their best brands Georgetown and Villanova aren't big fanbases.
Big East has good teams but no sizzle
Brand power nationally
Villanova/Georgetown B+
St.John's/Marquette B
Creighton/Xavier/Butler C
Providence/Seton Hall/DePaul D

That isn't going to draw good ratings but the Big ten will go where the money is and Fox-BTN relationship will help Fox Sports get a part of the B1G next contract.

It's more the fault of FS1 than the Big East's. FS1 isn't well known and isn't on basic cable. I think FS is going about things the right way. In 10 years their ratings will be much better.

FS1 already has (a year)
40 regular season MLB games
15 post season MLB games
Big East basketball home games
Some Big XII, Pac-12, and C-USA football games

Future deals (a year)
7 Sprint Cup races
FIFA championships (including 2018 World Cup and 2015/2019 Women's World Cup)
US Open and US Women's Open
34 regular season MLS games (every other year MLS Cup and All-Star Game)

last years BET was great and since Syracuse isnt playing in this years ACC, i will likely watch the BET again.

last years BET was great and since Syracuse isnt playing in this years ACC, i will likely watch the BET again.
The Big East tournament isn't the same. Only half of the conference is original Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall and St. John's.
Marquette, DePaul, Crieghton,Butler, Xavier don't do anything for me personally.
The old BET was magic though.
Atleast the ACC games will have Duke,_North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville which are good brands.

Next year's ACCT in DC should be awesome and we better be there.

Old habits are tough to break as I find myself watching BE games on FS1 far more than any ACC games outside of the marquee ones. I'd still much rather watch Providence vs St John's or Seton Hall vs Georgetown over pretty much any ACC game not involving at least one top team.

But is it surprising the ratings are so low? It's a bunch of catholic schools with barely a local presence in their markets. Nobody cares about those schools outside of alums and a small fraction of locals (outside of Creighton probably).

As the power continues to move to the major conferences, the Big East will continue to tread water in the wake behind the Power 5 speedboat.

College basketball is regional. The Big East is a collection of tiny-a$$ regions.

Old habits are tough to break as I find myself watching BE games on FS1 far more than any ACC games outside of the marquee ones. I'd still much rather watch Providence vs St John's or Seton Hall vs Georgetown over pretty much any ACC game not involving at least one top team.

But is it surprising the ratings are so low? It's a bunch of catholic schools with barely a local presence in their markets. Nobody cares about those schools outside of alums and a small fraction of locals (outside of Creighton probably).

As the power continues to move to the major conferences, the Big East will continue to tread water in the wake behind the Power 5 speedboat.

I don't think that's fair.

In the heyday of the Big East those schools were the same smallish Catholic schools they are today.

People will watch good basketball regardless of whether its a P-5 game or not. I watch BE games versus SEC, B12 or PAC10 games.

I'll always watch Georgetown, especially if they are behind.

In the heyday of the Big East those schools were the same smallish Catholic schools they are today.

People will watch good basketball regardless of whether its a P-5 game or not. I watch BE games versus SEC, B12 or PAC10 games.

I'm the same way. I'll watch anything. I realize it's not as good of a product as it used to be, but I'm still a college basketball addict.

BE may not be so hot on TV, but they are projected to get 6 teams into the NCAA tourney.

You're going yourself a disservice by not watching pac12 games, because Walton does many!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom