Big East Tournament versus the ACC Tournament | Syracusefan.com

Big East Tournament versus the ACC Tournament

Dave85

Living Legend
I understand Syracuse was chasing a big money TV deal when leaving the Big East for the ACC. But I would rather watch the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden than watch any game being placed at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte. The power of the Big East came from the region. No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school. After watching UNC beat NC State, and switching between the channels, I was actually finding myself rooting for UConn. The world is upside down and inside out. I would rather see UConn beat Duke or UNC at this point.. Although I do like NC State because Barnes is such a fun player to watch. But besides NC State, I'd rather see UConn or some other Big East school win the NCAA tournament. There was a time when people where debating whether or not Syracuse had a top 5 elite program. Let's compare the men's basketball programs between UConn and Syracuse. UConn has won 5 NCAA tournament championships (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014 and 2023). This stinks beyond imagination. Maybe someone can talk be down and explain why the ACC is so great because I don't see it. For me it's all sour grapes. onions. and Ipecac. I miss the good ole days of Syracuse being in the Big East. I hope the money from the big TV deal was worth it and the board of directors are please with themselves because since 2013 the Syracuse men's basketball program has become irrelevant.

I understand Syracuse was chasing a big money TV deal when leaving the Big East for the ACC. But I would rather watch the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden than watch any game being placed at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte. The power of the Big East came from the region. No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school. After watching UNC beat NC State, and switching between the channels, I was actually finding myself rooting for UConn. The world is upside down and inside out. I would rather see UConn beat Duke or UNC at this point.. Although I do like NC State because Barnes is such a fun player to watch. But besides NC State, I'd rather see UConn or some other Big East school win the NCAA tournament. There was a time when people where debating whether or not Syracuse had a top 5 elite program. Let's compare the men's basketball programs between UConn and Syracuse. UConn has won 5 NCAA tournament championships (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014 and 2023). This stinks beyond imagination. Maybe someone can talk be down and explain why the ACC is so great because I don't see it. For me it's all sour grapes. onions. and Ipecac. I miss the good ole days of Syracuse being in the Big East. I hope the money from the big TV deal was worth it and the board of directors are please with themselves because since 2013 the Syracuse men's basketball program has become irrelevant.
Football drives everything $$$$$$$$$$

I understand Syracuse was chasing a big money TV deal when leaving the Big East for the ACC. But I would rather watch the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden than watch any game being placed at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte. The power of the Big East came from the region. No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school. After watching UNC beat NC State, and switching between the channels, I was actually finding myself rooting for UConn. The world is upside down and inside out. I would rather see UConn beat Duke or UNC at this point.. Although I do like NC State because Barnes is such a fun player to watch. But besides NC State, I'd rather see UConn or some other Big East school win the NCAA tournament. There was a time when people were debating whether or not Syracuse had a top 5 elite program. Let's compare the men's basketball programs between UConn and Syracuse. UConn has won 5 NCAA tournament championships (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014 and 2023). This stinks beyond imagination. Maybe someone can talk be down and explain why the ACC is so great because I don't see it. For me it's all sour grapes. onions. and Ipecac. I miss the good ole days of Syracuse being in the Big East. I hope the money from the big TV deal was worth it and the board of directors are please with themselves because since 2013 the Syracuse men's basketball program has become irrelevant.
And how would you have handled our football program? Play in the American or be an independent like UMass or UConn?

Do Pitt and BC and Miami and VaTech boards have these threads, or is it just because this move coincided with our downturn? We pine for something that simply does not exist. UCONN won three of those titles while we were in the Big East with them, and the 4th was when the were in the AAC.

I remember the excitement around here when we joined the ACC of a true super conference for basketball. SU and UL have not held up their end of that.

TLDR - I wish we were better too.

I remember the excitement around here when we joined the ACC of a true super conference for basketball. SU and UL have not held up their end of that.

I don't remember the excitement at all. I thought it was a mistake when it happened.

And how would you have handled our football program? Play in the American or be an independent like UMass or UConn?

I'm not a big Syracuse football fan. I like it when they win. But compared to the excitement of Syracuse basketball prior to 2013, there is no comparison.

no but it sure as hell helps. Its not like we are the only school. I mean Stanford is in the ACC for effs sake

I'm glad the board is happy with all the money.

It's about coaching. It's not about leagues. JB got old. If we stayed in the Big East we eventually would have sucked there too because he got old and lazy

Jay Wright left and Nova isn't good anymore. Georgetown is terrible. Outside of UConn none of our old rivals are very good. The coaches all left or got old.

I know you feel this way, and you're not alone, but threads like this are absolutely pointless. Every single school in the BE would have made the exact same decision. UConn went to the AAC for god's sake to try to keep football afloat.

I don't remember the excitement at all. I thought it was a mistake when it happened.

The BE basketball tournament was at its peak in terms of intensity when the league was 8 and 9, just as the ACC tournament was at its peak when the league was 8 and 7.

Nobody central to founding the BE ever expected it to sponsor football - it was founded only for basketball. The BE trying to then become a football league almost ruined itself forever. But there is the other side to consider: the Northeast asa region cares so little for CFB, even compared to the Pacific Coast, that it is impossible to have even 1 well watched D1 football league of schools located only in northeaster states (that means no Miami and no VT and no WVU, with Pitt bare accepted as northeastern by state name). Even with PSU in the mix, a league of BC, Cuse, PSU, Pitt, Temple, Rutgers, UConn?, Buffalo?, Army? would move 0 needles anywhere.

Money isn't everything in life.
Is this a serious post? If any admin had turned down a ACC invite, they would have been fired and never hired by any major college again. $$$ drives the bus for colleges. UConn right now, would trade places with us in a heartbeat. Do we miss the old Big East. Of course. I wish things could have been different. But we got a big break getting called to the ACC. And come this fall, we are going to be glad we are in it.

I know you feel this way, and you're not alone, but threads like this are absolutely pointless. Every single school in the BE would have made the exact same decision. UConn went to the AAC for god's sake to try to keep football afloat.
unfortunate for sure. Money obviously is the factor for change. Some good some bad. I never went to a Big East tourney. It was on my sports things to do. I always thought I would have time and the opportunity. I was dying to go to the blarney full of Cuse fans like I read on here.

We are in a a different conference. Better embrace and enjoy what we have. In my opinion it’s better than no tournament. I certainly wouldn’t enjoy the Big East now like back in the day

Pin this to the top of the board as well.

How many times does this have to be covered? Big East football doesn't exist. We needed to move to a football conference.

I miss playing in the Big East too. I also miss Phife Dawg...and Seinfeld...and Sopranos...and whatever or whomever else is dead.

We could go to the Ivy, the Harvard of Central New York.

Is this a serious post? If any admin had turned down a ACC invite, they would have been fired and never hired by any major college again. $$$ drives the bus for colleges. UConn right now, would trade places with us in a heartbeat. Do we miss the old Big East. Of course. I wish things could have been different. But we got a big break getting called to the ACC. And come this fall, we are going to be glad we are in it.
What you say is correct, of course.
It is all about the Benjamins.

But man the old Big East tourney was great.
Just walking to work in the morning and seeing all the shirts and jackets on the fans coming to MSG for the tourney.
It was the best time of year.

Meanwhile...NIL and other hordes of $$ are forcing huge changes (hello to a new team almost every year).
And money will force more changes in ways we haven't imagined yet.
Just hope SU can ethically keep pace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom