Big East players you have actually admired | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Big East players you have actually admired

I'll jump in as a uconn fan...

Stevie Thompson best dunker his size and could only shoot in practice

Sherman Douglas best alley oop guy ever

Lawrence motem scored a ton
I see you erased the Keith Smart reference. It was very creative.

Dana Barros, kid was daggers always

Marshon Brooks, smooth shooter, looked too skinny but got it done

Zeffy Penn - Nova
Marco Baldi - St. John's
Earnie Pops Lewis - PC
Carlton Screen - PC

Zeffy Penn - Nova
Marco Baldi - St. John's
Earnie Pops Lewis - PC
Carlton Screen - PC

Pop Lewis--now there's an obscure reference!

I can't stand Pitino, but I heard him speak one time and he had a funny story about when he took over the providence job. First thing he did was schedule getting to know you meetings with all of the players, and he was excited to meet "Pop" Lewis. When they met for the first time, Pitino says: "So Ernie, with a nickname like 'Pop,' I assume that you are a shooter?"

To which the player replied: "No--my two older brothers were nicknamed 'Snap' and 'Crackle.'"

This is a real tough one for me. Three quick ones for me are Chris Mullin, Billy Donovan and Walter Berry (yeah I know). Then I go program by program and rule out a ton of names. However, here are a couple other players that I liked. Boston College-maybe Dana Barros. Yukon-Ray Allen(only after he became Jesus Shuttleworth) and Ben Gordon. Georgetown-tough one although I liked Victor Page when no one else every did.. Nova-maybe Nardi, however I like Randy Foye now. Cincy-Jason Maxiell-but I don't think he played in the BE, West Virginia-Mike Gansey, Rutgers-Quincy Douby. Seton Hall-Terry Dehere
Going to be some unpopular names here.....

Rashad Anderson (the first 6th man who embraced the position),

Emeka Okafor (all-round great kid with a 3.95 GPA in a Finance major),

Mike Gansey (role model),

Chris Mullin (helped make the Big East),

Ben Gordon (because he chose UConn because he saw cows there),

Chevey Troutman (bonded with him one night as we awaited an elevator that took forever to come; plus he was a great competitor),

Khalid El-Amin (I know everyone here hates him, but I loved his intensity and enthusiasm and the fact that he got so much out of a body not built for basketball),

Gary McLain (loved him on that 85 Nova team before he admitted the drug use),

Michael Adams (a water-bug who was fun to watch),

Kevin Pittsnogle (who could not like that goofy-looking 7-footer who made all those threes?).

Jae Crowder (loved his enthusiasm and hie his feisty play).

Ramon Ramos (what a sad story. Academic player of the year, gets off to a promising NBA career, than that tragic accident. I was so impressed that such a good player ... for whom English was not his first language -- could star in the classroom as well as on the court).

Ed Pinkney. Smooth as butter. Such a hard worker.

Patrick Ewing. The most dominant player in BE history.
I agree with the Pinkney part! Loved his game, his work ethic.

If I was forced to take a Hoya it would be Sleepy Floyd. Just a cool customer.

Oh and I always liked Dwayne D-Train McClain of Villanova.

I know I might be the only one on the entire board... but I am a HUGE Allen Iverson fan, through and through. 6'0, 160 pounds and was a game changer, made the game dynamic and exciting whenever he played. Georgetown can suck it, but AI is forever legit.

I see you erased the Keith Smart reference. It was very creative.
I have never heard of this name, the name you speak of.
Not in this life, not in a past life, not in a future life.
Also to add, because of this name which I refuse to mention, I will never visit the state of Ind*ana.

And while we're on the topic, here's a player I admired, sorry I'm cheating as he's not BE...but oh, the memories.
Michael Lee.
God I love that kid.

Edit: the amount of posts I have right now just 'feels' right.

Okafor. Loved how he kept balls in lay when he blocked. Would have been amazing him anchoring the zone.

I also admired the fact he graduated in 3 years with a finance degree while maintaining a 3.8. That's impressive.

Chris Mullen.

I'll jump in as a uconn fan...

Stevie Thompson best dunker his size and could only shoot in practice

Sherman Douglas best alley oop guy ever

Lawrence motem scored a ton
I'll give you a "like" cause you won't get any argument from any of us.

This is a real tough one for me. Three quick ones for me are Chris Mullin, Billy Donovan and Walter Berry (yeah I know). Then I go program by program and rule out a ton of names. However, here are a couple other players that I liked. Boston College-maybe Dana Barros. Yukon-Ray Allen(only after he became Jesus Shuttleworth) and Ben Gordon. Georgetown-tough one although I liked Victor Page when no one else every did.. Nova-maybe Nardi, however I like Randy Foye now. Cincy-Jason Maxiell-but I don't think he played in the BE, West Virginia-Mike Gansey, Rutgers-Quincy Douby. Seton Hall-Terry Dehere
God Shamgod. I mean who has the cajones to name their kid that, that is just awesome. And of course Patrick Ewing. He really accomplished alot for being illiterate

My All Non-Cuse Team
PG - Allen Iverson, Kemba Walker
SG - Kerry Kittles, Ray Allen
SF - Chris Mullin, Kevin Jones
PF - Rudy Gay, DeJuan Blair
C - Patrick Ewing, Emeka Okafor

Sure, I don't like some of these guys, but respect all of them. Edited, had to get Iverson in there.

One player I wish had been an Orangemen was Dejuan Blair.

Crowder always impressed me as well.

DeJuan is the best Offensive rebounder I have ever seen, at any level. He was a loose ball magnet, god I hated him. Other guys who were always reeking havoc in the middle of the zone were Mike Sweetney and Ryan Humphries.

Great question. Off the top of my head...

Donyell Marshall
Michael Smith
Kerry Kittles
Melvin Levett
Erron Maxey (only because I played flag football with him in Atlanta a few years back)

Carmelo Anthony

Is that cheating? :)

"The Pearl"

One of the Greatest College BBall Players Ever.

pearl_original_display_image.jpg

John Bagley, Ed Pinckney, Donyell Marshall, Mark Bryant, Otis Thorpe, Willie Glass, Demetrius Gore

pretty much starts and ends with Mullin (cant believe how many people have spelled it wrong here)

but i always liked those early 80s BC teams...

Jay Murphy
John Bagley
Michael Adams
Roger McCready
Dominic Pressley

Shammgod, Croshere, Kevin Freeman, DeJuan Blair, Sam Young, Ben Gordon, Rip Hamilton, Earl Clark, Terrence Williams.

Some of my favorite non-Cuse players even if I didn't like them:

Walter The Truth Berry (I remember I dyed a lacrosse stick head that said “The Truth” on it)
Willie Glass

Eric Sleepy Floyd
Michael Graham
Michael Jackson
David Wingate

DWayne McClain

Otis Thorpe

John Bagley
Michael Adams