Big East players you have actually admired | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Big East players you have actually admired

his birth name was Shamgod Wells . . . he legally changed his own name to God Shamgod when he came of age
not according to Wikipedia: "In high school, he was known as Shammgod Wells. However, upon attending Providence College, he was forced to either legally change his name to Shammgod Wells, or to use his legal name of God Shammgod. Because he did not have the $600 required to legally change his name, he was known as God Shammgod from that point onward."

In any event, he had an even a better career than I remembered. Played with Ron Artest in high school, AAU ball with Kobe and took that Providence team to the Elite 8 along with Croshere. Not much of a pro career though. In God we trust!

This is a real tough one for me. Three quick ones for me are Chris Mullin, Billy Donovan and Walter Berry (yeah I know). Then I go program by program and rule out a ton of names. However, here are a couple other players that I liked. Boston College-maybe Dana Barros. Yukon-Ray Allen(only after he became Jesus Shuttleworth) and Ben Gordon. Georgetown-tough one although I liked Victor Page when no one else every did.. Nova-maybe Nardi, however I like Randy Foye now. Cincy-Jason Maxiell-but I don't think he played in the BE, West Virginia-Mike Gansey, Rutgers-Quincy Douby. Seton Hall-Terry Dehere
I want to amend my own post and add a few more guys: John Linehan (good call), Sean Miller (a true gym rat), Kevin Jones (it was no secret how bad I wanted our own Mt Vernon guy) and Michael Adams (another good call). I'll also add Shaheen Holloway, who I mentioned in another post that I had met a few times. He is now an asst coach at Seton Hall and is a real players coach. Hopefully he will get a chance to be a head coach soon. I would love to see him to be considered at Siena along with Red Autry.

Always had a mancrush on Mike Gansey. Wonderfully versatile & likeable demeanor a lot like CJ. Plus he always seemed to play well in the tournament & against teams i hated and usually lost to us.

Hey guys,
First time poster here...
I would say from my younger years it would be Kerry Kittles.
I really enjoyed watching Okafor play too. (except against us)
Recently I'd have to say Kyle Kuric. I realize Louisville isn't an original Big East school but he just stood out. (and killed us)
Anyways, those are my 3

Has anybody mentioned Austin Croshere yet? I liked that guy.

Also, Dickie Simpkins, and I thoroughly enjoy him as an announcer.

Alot of guys being named that are before my time (aka Mullin, etc.)...

Some of my favorites by team:

BC - Scoonie Penn
SHU - Darius Lane and Hazelle - SHU - These guys could shoot the lights out.
Nova - Scottie Reynolds, Allan Ray
Con-U - Ray Allen, Khalid El-Amin (just could never fathom how he could move so quick but be so damn robust... looked him up and he was listed at 202 lbs, but that dude always looked like he weighed 230), Thabeet (always brought the best out of Jonny)
GTown - Iverson was fun to watch, but hated him when he matched up with us.
Pitt - Julius Page (think we offered him at one point, but could be wrong...either way, this guy hit a lot of big shots against us)
Louisville - Terrance Williams (lightning quick and one of the best defenders)
ND - Troy Murphy, Matt Carroll (this guy actually provided me with my favorite game seen in the Dome in '03... hits a 3 with very little time left, giving birth to McNamara's clutch three and court storm at the buzzer).

I know that it's all ending, but man what a run this league had. It will never be duplicated in any conference. Thanks for this thread guys.

I know that it's all ending, but man what a run this league had. It will never be duplicated in any conference. Thanks for this thread guys.
It would appear that a great basketball conference is bad business, and that is a shame. I love football, but I grew up with Big East basketball. I remember being at a required retreat for confirmation on a winter Sunday afternoon. SU was playing Georgetown, and one of the other guys brought a radio. Obviously this was prohibited, but we were all very quietly begging for updates. SU won. It is indeed a shame that it is all ending, but what the Big East was, died a long time ago.