Big Ten exploring using the Dome for winter football | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten exploring using the Dome for winter football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - the chance for spreading would be enormous.
If no fans are at games, and only essential personnel travel, I could see everyone involved in the decision making process being comfortable with it. If our team travels and comes back home throughout the season successfully, the B1G using the Dome shouldn't be anymore hazardous.

That would not be a bad idea. Nothing is out of the question when the chance to make money for the schools involved. Syracuse playing home games in the spring would be a good seller but will Penn St fans travel that far in bad weather to see spring football.
I expect they'll only allow 10-15K fans. If they allow more that means Covid concerns have lessened.

Cuse is only 2 hrs north of Scranton...I bet lots of NEPA folks would travel.

GMAC can host a pregame tailgate on the Fine Lot

So the way they are doing it in Buffalo with the Toronto Blue Jays is, anytime the team comes/is in town the team is isolated to the hotel in which they are staying. That is basically their bubble, they can not leave. The only time they do leave is to be bused to and from the hotel (and airport) to the ballpark for practice and games.

I don’t believe so.
All of the modifications done over the years to make it a practice facility, pretty much eliminate it as a viable venue for anything else now.
Even intercollegiate Quidditch?

Why wouldn’t they just go somewhere warm?

The entire B1G or half of its football teams living in hotels or dorms just sounds like a recipe for disaster if the rules remain like they are forbubble athletes and SU students.

Go to Disney. Baseball and softball teams go south every winter.

The entire B1G or half of its football teams living in hotels or dorms just sounds like a recipe for disaster if the rules remain like they are forbubble athletes and SU students.

Agreed... some place warm... where the beer flows like wine and where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of capistrano.

I don't see a big difference between using the dome to host a football game featuring Syracuse and some random opponent from some other region, and using the dome to host a football game featuring two teams from other regions.

They are surely going to sanitize the locker rooms for the teams and officials regardless. Press room too if they allow the media to attend.

No way there are going to be fans. I am sure all B1G staff and players would be tested regularly. I would have more confidence in them doing things right than Liberty, or even a school like NC State.
You mean that they haven't been sanitizing the press room after games for years? ;)

I would guess chartering planes to fly south nearly every weekend for 3 months would be more expensive than staying in/near the upper midwest.

Baseball and softball teams don't go south for 3 months.

If they decide to start around Thanksgiving, and college basketball doesn't start until January, the dome would essentially be available for use from 11/28 through the start of January.

That said, games at State College or Piscataway might be playable in December. But if crowds are not going to be allowed, it would be nice to play in a guaranteed perfect environment.

Thanks for posting this, OX.

My first thought is that the B1G is backing down.

My second thought is that we could see the season pushed back to October and have all the P5 teams and any G5 teams that want to play.

Any other H0T Takes?

If they decide to start around Thanksgiving, and college basketball doesn't start until January, the dome would essentially be available for use from 11/28 through the start of January.

That said, games at State College or Piscataway might be playable in December. But if crowds are not going to be allowed, it would be nice to play in a guaranteed perfect environment.

The issue comes down to whether PSU winning by 50 is sufficient in Happy Valley or they want a shot at the margin of victory record in the Dome. With no fans, or limited fans, the choice should be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.