Biggest Improvements | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Improvements

steve deberg

Scout Team
Thought it might be fun to take a stab at who we think will take the biggest jump on offence and defence in each class next season.

RF O: Ward- tons of offers with huge upside, going to lock down LT for the next 4 years
RF D: Dowels- lots of opportunity in the secondary

Soph O: Phillips- moving to slot should give him more opportunities in space
Soph D: Franklin- came on strong late and should take control of the D from MLB

Junior O: Estime- was never healthy last year, we need his game breaking ability
Junior D:Thompson- hopefully he can play mostly at DE

Senior O: Trudo- seemed to regress a bit, he needs to lead this unit
Senior D: Morgan- should start at one of the safety spots

Anyone else care to speculate?

I think Thompson is going interstellar this year, really think he has Freeney-type potential if the DB's give him even a little bit of time.

I sighed deeply before realizing that it would have to be Hunt for biggest improvement on O. All that time he spent in the booth last season has to help somewhat, right? Also, I am betting last season humbled him and strengthened his resolve.

For the record, this is the first of what will be dozens of overly optimistic projections for 2015. Typically that comes with Spring camp so I broke the seal way early this year.

I think Thompson is going interstellar this year, really think he has Freeney-type potential if the DB's give him even a little bit of time.

I sighed deeply before realizing that it would have to be Hunt for biggest improvement on O. All that time he spent in the booth last season has to help somewhat, right? Also, I am betting last season humbled him and strengthened his resolve.

For the record, this is the first of what will be dozens of overly optimistic projections for 2015. Typically that comes with Spring camp so I broke the seal way early this year.
It seems the attitude pendulum has been swinging back toward optimism recently. The Clark news yesterday and hopefully Pickard should be enough to keep that train rolling till Septemeber.

OC - at least it better be.

70 more yds on offense, similar performance on defense, should see 6 or 7 wins, at least.

Thought it might be fun to take a stab at who we think will take the biggest jump on offence and defence in each class next season.

RF O: Ward- tons of offers with huge upside, going to lock down LT for the next 4 years
RF D: Dowels- lots of opportunity in the secondary

Soph O: Phillips- moving to slot should give him more opportunities in space
Soph D: Franklin- came on strong late and should take control of the D from MLB

Junior O: Estime- was never healthy last year, we need his game breaking ability
Junior D:Thompson- hopefully he can play mostly at DE

Senior O: Trudo- seemed to regress a bit, he needs to lead this unit
Senior D: Morgan- should start at one of the safety spots

Anyone else care to speculate?
I would swap Dowels with Cordy. Would like to see Whigham make the bigger jump instead of Morgan. I hate the fact that we will be playing short safeties.

70 more yds on offense, similar performance on defense, should see 6 or 7 wins, at least.

Need to get the ball into the endzone. that would've save mcdonald early on.

Lester's offense is likely to be Hunt friendly. This could be the biggest improvement next year.
Even though Lester's offense might have less emphasis on WR, Ishmael's role probably won't be kept down and if healthy, Estime's is a game changer.

I suspect the RBs will play a much more important role next year and one of them is likely to step up. Don't care which one.

It is hard to figure the impact of injuries as so many guys play banged up and then finally go down for the count. Broyld caught 50+ passes year before last and was injured most of last year. I know he doesn't have great hands but he gets open. He might surprise next year.

Trudo and Palmer are not strong enough to carry the line. We need one of the RS frosh to step up - maybe Ward.

The LBs and the DLine could be really stellar. Secondary not so much, but will improve as the season goes on. These guys are going to be fun to watch.

Lester's offense is likely to be Hunt friendly. This could be the biggest improvement next year.
Even though Lester's offense might have less emphasis on WR, Ishmael's role probably won't be kept down and if healthy, Estime's is a game changer.

I suspect the RBs will play a much more important role next year and one of them is likely to step up. Don't care which one.

It is hard to figure the impact of injuries as so many guys play banged up and then finally go down for the count. Broyld caught 50+ passes year before last and was injured most of last year. I know he doesn't have great hands but he gets open. He might surprise next year.

Trudo and Palmer are not strong enough to carry the line. We need one of the RS frosh to step up - maybe Ward.

The LBs and the DLine could be really stellar. Secondary not so much, but will improve as the season goes on. These guys are going to be fun to watch.
On the offensive line, would like to see Ward, and McGloster be our tackles, they have real size which the returning people don't. A RF, and Soph, could hold the fort down for a few years.

For not picking up any receivers this class, the slot seems loaded. Avant, Phillips, and Estime. Would they really keep Broyld there too? I'm not sure.

Who's on the outside? Ishmael, Enoicy, Custis? Who else here?

I think that both big Wayne and Sloan are going to have great years

This is pretty much the only answer really.
Shafer is all in on Lester so it really boils down to Lester. I think that Lester's offense will be very friendly to Hunt and to the OLine. In general our talent may be more suited to his system and if so we could get much better results.

Clearly we must have significant improvement at the QB/OL positions.

I'm back on the T. Hunt bandwagon. I'm hoping that he truly shines in his final season.

And I hope that Lester brings an approach that accommodates the talent we have in an efficient manner - less concern about number of plays and more concern for old fashioned execution.

Shafer is all in on Lester so it really boils down to Lester. I think that Lester's offense will be very friendly to Hunt and to the OLine. In general our talent may be more suited to his system and if so we could get much better results.

No question, Shafer has placed his immediate fate as a HC in Lester's hands.

Lester does not have the "magic bullet" with respect to suddenly making the O more productive (scoring points). The fact remains that, without good QB play and finding a playmaker or 2 between the WR and TE positions, teams are going to play press man coverage with a single high safety and load the box to take away the running game. That will "force" SS to play a ball control, field position game, while relying on the D to force TOs/flip field position.

That is going to be the issue next year, regardless of the system, IMO.

007 said:
No question, Shafer has placed his immediate fate as a HC in Lester's hands. Lester does not have the "magic bullet" with respect to suddenly making the O more productive (scoring points). The fact remains that, without good QB play and finding a playmaker or 2 between the WR and TE positions, teams are going to play press man coverage with a single high safety and load the box to take away the running game. That will "force" SS to play a ball control, field position game, while relying on the D to force TOs/flip field position. That is going to be the issue next year, regardless of the system, IMO.

I don't think WR is going to be the problem. Switching Phillips to slot - along with a healthy Estime/Broyld, and Steve Ish improving? All the signs are there to have enough threats.

Trey Dunk could be the TE we're looking for. Custis and Enoicy could grow into those roles.

For me it's - Hunt and Lester. How well does he take to the system? Can he read and make good enough throws to open up the field?

No question, Shafer has placed his immediate fate as a HC in Lester's hands.

Lester does not have the "magic bullet" with respect to suddenly making the O more productive (scoring points). The fact remains that, without good QB play and finding a playmaker or 2 between the WR and TE positions, teams are going to play press man coverage with a single high safety and load the box to take away the running game. That will "force" SS to play a ball control, field position game, while relying on the D to force TOs/flip field position.

That is going to be the issue next year, regardless of the system, IMO.
I agree. However, I think they plan to try and run it down everybody's throats. If they have a healthy Hunt and they have a heavy package, Hunt's running ability will get them out of man pretty quickly. With two tight ends that can catch they may be able to keep everyone honest. Lots of play action and play option. Don't think we are going to worry about stretching the field very often.

This is not going to pretty and there will be great frustration when they run, run. pass or run. To be effective, they have to stay with it and wear the other guys down. This may be the exact opposite of hurry up. How we play in the fourth quarter will probably determine our season.

Hopefully, we will work out the kinks in the first three games versus RI, Wake and CMU so that we are as prepared as possible for LSU. Fortunately, with the exception of UVS, we play the teams that are better at run D (BC, Clemson) later in the season.

It may be an interesting season.

I don't think WR is going to be the problem. Switching Phillips to slot - along with a healthy Estime/Broyld, and Steve Ish improving? All the signs are there to have enough threats.

Trey Dunk could be the TE we're looking for. Custis and Enoicy could grow into those roles.

For me it's - Hunt and Lester. How well does he take to the system? Can he read and make good enough throws to open up the field?
IMO, it all comes down to QB play. We don't need Hunt to win games...just manage them and limit turnovers.

Btw, I think the most under-rated/overlooked player on offense is Ben Lewis. He is always open and has great(sans dropped td pass) hands. Very good possession receiver. I have far more faith in him than I've ever had in Broyld.

IMO, it all comes down to QB play. We don't need Hunt to win games...just manage them and limit turnovers.

Btw, I think the most under-rated/overlooked player on offense is Ben Lewis. He is always open and has great(sans dropped td pass) hands. Very good possession receiver. I have far more faith in him than I've ever had in Broyld.
I like Ben as well. I always thought the hardest catches to make were those floaters that stay in the air forever when you are wide open in the end zone. Too much time to think.