Biggest rival? | Syracusefan.com

Biggest rival?

samspann1

Living Legend
BC? Really?

I guess a case could be made for football (personally, I think it’s Pitt), but no way in basketball.

Actually given their stature and how close we seem to play them every other year or so I’d say our biggest football rival in recent years is Clemson. Over the long term it’s likely Pitt ( of the teams we still play regularly).

BC? Really?

I guess a case could be made for football (personally, I think it’s Pitt), but no way in basketball.

While Mizzou is developing a good rivalry with Arkansas, it’s still Kansas first and Illinois second.

Basketball:
1. G Town
2. Pitt
3. Uconn
4. Duke
5. UNC? SJU? University at Buffalo?
If we measure it by what team creates the most buzz and puts the most butts in seats when they're in town... it's Duke without question.

If we measure it by what team's failures create the most buzz on this board when they're struggling... it's UConn without question.

If we measure it by what team creates the most buzz and puts the most butts in seats when they're in town... it's Duke without question.

If we measure it by what team's failures create the most buzz on this board when they're struggling... it's UConn without question.
I look at it with bad blood, bad blood with fans, recruitment peers, great games and great history

I know historically it's Georgetown - but in terms of fan engagement and animosity, it's 100% UConn.

I laugh at Georgetown when they fail to make the tournament or get bounced by a school that didn't exist 40 years ago. I want to beat them when we play. But UConn is a different level. We each live rent free in each other's heads and experience joy at the other's failures and misery at the other's successes. That's a true rival.

I know historically it's Georgetown - but in terms of fan engagement and animosity, it's 100% UConn.

I laugh at Georgetown when they fail to make the tournament or get bounced by a school that didn't exist 40 years ago. I want to beat them when we play. But UConn is a different level. We each live rent free in each other's heads and experience joy at the other's failures and misery at the other's successes. That's a true rival.
I think the Georgetown rivalry still has plenty of juice left and for entertainment purposes it's still worth playing them maybe a half dozen times per decade. The problem with them is that they just don't have fans. In my entire life I have never met a Georgetown basketball fan.

But yeah I agree, in terms of vitriol, it's UConn without question. With Duke it's more like a celebrity is in town and people want to see it.

For Fans in the 2000’s to 2021: Uconn

For players then and now: G Town

Listening to Battle’s and others stories about their games vs G Town, you can tell the rivalry’s alive and well.

Normally I always love the takes from...

...biggameboomer...

but not today

I think the Georgetown rivalry still has plenty of juice left and for entertainment purposes it's still worth playing them maybe a half dozen times per decade. The problem with them is that they just don't have fans. In my entire life I have never met a Georgetown basketball fan.

But yeah I agree, in terms of vitriol, it's UConn without question. With Duke it's more like a celebrity is in town and people want to see it.

Plus Duke fans don't care about us.

I could be mistaken with my perception, but I wonder if it seems like UConn is a stronger rival because of our history with the Boneyard? I know several SU fans that don't know anything about this site and they still get more excited about Georgetown

I could be mistaken with my perception, but I wonder if it seems like UConn is a stronger rival because of our history with the Boneyard? I know several SU fans that don't know anything about this site and they still get more excited about Georgetown
Idk.

Names like Okafor, Rudy Gay, Gordon, Hamilton, Allen, Thabeet, Robinson (rip), Price, Adrian, Armstrong, Kemba, Boone and countless others loom in recent memory..

They were the most recent evil empire around our most recent greatest years. Even had the coach too in Calhoun.

A perfect rival

My personal rivalry in all college sports is rutgers, i despise their entire fan base and program. I don’t think another school will ever top them for me either.

Based on fan vitriol for each other it definitely is UConn. If they joined the ACC today they would instantaneously be the biggest game on the schedule.

I hate Duke as much as anyone, but those games at the dome are full of fair weather fans and upstate NY Dukies who couldn’t find Durham on a map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom