Biggest takeaway from the season? | Syracusefan.com

Biggest takeaway from the season?

Cuse House

All American
One thing that I takeaway from this season is that a facilitator at the point is a must. G did a great job for us, but he was not a pg. Our offense was too stagnant throughout the season to get consistent results. I am a huge Howard fan, I believe if he can work on his shooting and just be a threat to score, we have a seriously dangerous team next year. The weapons will be there with next seasons squad. Battle will have the ball in his hands a lot as well and the playmaking ability of these two will be a key going into next season. I can finally see us being a 70+ ppg team again next year.

Offense is nice, but defense always carries us. I think the defensive rebounding will be better next year with Lydon/DC/Roberson and Moyer/Chuckwu off the bench.

G was nice and Cooney had his games, but everyone comes back and Battle/Moyer play well, our offense will be a lot better next year. I too think Howard will be huge.

Mali/Lydon will be stars next year

I think we found out we have some really nice parts for next year with Lydon showing great IQ, leaps and touch (loved his aggression to the hole on a few misses), Mali with outside/slash game, Howard with some pass savy and we still have Chukwu that will alter the paint next year and Battle who will bring some length, athleticism... Candidly if we can get Quade I'm hoping to see some Old school running the court Cuse next season...with the mix of talent we have...

One thing that I takeaway from this season is that a facilitator at the point is a must. G did a great job for us, but he was not a pg. Our offense was too stagnant throughout the season to get consistent results. I am a huge Howard fan, I believe if he can work on his shooting and just be a threat to score, we have a seriously dangerous team next year. The weapons will be there with next seasons squad. Battle will have the ball in his hands a lot as well and the playmaking ability of these two will be a key going into next season. I can finally see us being a 70+ ppg team again next year.

It should go without saying that because of the FF run, that this season was an overwhelming success, and these are just thoughts...but since people will probably get mad about the negatives, I'll preface my thoughts with how happy I am for the team/fans/me!

Takeaways:

- Agreed. I would be just as effusive with my praise for G as JB is/was, because the strides this kid made were unbelievable over the past two years. However, he never really became a true PG, we essentially were running a couple shooting guards out there. As a result, the offense could go stagnant, and G never became a great facilitator off the bounce. Mali was probably the best in that regard out of the starters. I do wish G had a better tourney run, the last three games in the NCAAT he was pretty blah (what was he, 1-15 on threes?). In spite of it, he had a great Senior year, and he was the PG that got us to the FF, so you can't complain too much!

- Kaleb Joseph. What the hell was that? Has any player ever seen that substantial of a drop off in minutes? Will her return? I think he may be fine if he does, but I do wonder a bit about that and whether he should just be shunned from the PG position. His game seems like G, not much PG in it even if he does have the handle/size to play it. Unlike G though, he seems lack in confidence as he went into a shell at some point this year, and fairly sure the last 3 or 4 shots he took this year were all airballs...that has to be a record even walk-ons couldn't touch (mostly because they don't get the minutes to put enough shots up).

- Mali! Will he go? I don't see it, but we shall see. Love the kid's second halves, but where are the first halves? lol He still needs to get stronger, and show off a better handle, but he has a great feel for the game and is a better passer/driver than I expected. Sky's the limit for him next year if he puts in the work. Kid definitely doesn't hide in big moments.

- Cooney! Soooooooo happy to see him go out the way he did after Pitt. Kid had a great tourney, and that second half against UNC was fantastic. For a moment I thought he and Mali might single-handedly bring us back, but UNC had the answers that nobody else did. It will forever baffle me that it took JB almost 3 years to finally rein him in though. The benching against Pitt, and the quick hook early in the tourney against Dayton or MTSU after one of his fading left, early shot-clock, crap jumpers was what he and the team needed, and TC responded subsequently. No clue why we waited on that move...nevertheless, kid will be remembered as a fierce competitor, solid player overall, and the FF run was awesome.

- Lydon. Awesome player, with tremendous upside. Disappeared for a bit after Atlantis, but his defense improved a ton (outside of a subpar second half against UNC, but it was UNC), and seemed to become more assertive as the year progressed. A lot to look forward to if he can improve, or at least show a bit more off the bounce to create his own opportunities.

- DC. Another kid with a good second half against UNC. He had his moments this year, and the big thing is that he made it through the season without an injury. No clue what to expect next year, but with his work ethic, it could be very good things. Or, it could be more of the same. Still think he brings the ball down too much!

- Howard. Tough to judge, but he looks promising. It was good to see him get some run to end the year.. Played erratic at times, but has PG skills, and we need that. Definitely has great vision, but still takes a lot of risks when passing the ball. His defense in the tourney was at a pretty high level overall (some issues recovering on shooters), which surprised me since it seems like that's why JB usually keeps kid's on the bench - or at least that's said a lot on the forum. I think he'll be a good one moving forward.

- Roberson. Awesome tourney, awesome kid. The same as every year with him. Will the light bulb click - meaning, will he be able to be consistent? Offer up more on offense? Seems like he has the tools, but the tools have yet to leave the toolbox for the most part. Still, he's a rebounding machine, and when he's aggressive, he's a game changer on the boards. Big fan - I really hope he has a Rak like Senior year and we some things most people aren't expecting.

My biggest takeaway is maybe playing pressure D when your are not down by double digits is a good idea. I'm not saying all out trunk monkey but three quarter court followed by a trapping zone could do wonders to increase the pace of play. Of course that would require playing more than 6.5 guys.

My biggest takeaway is maybe playing pressure D when your are not down by double digits is a good idea. I'm not saying all out trunk monkey but three quarter court followed by a trapping zone could do wonders to increase the pace of play. Of course that would require playing more than 6.5 guys.
To piggyback on your last sentence -- last night was the first time all year I noticed our games being noticeably tired. I don't know if it was just all the energy needed to compete with UNC (battling on the glass and getting back on D) or a cumulative effect of thewhole season, but our guys were spent. But man, when Mali hit that 3 and we got it to 7, I'd be lying if I said we weren't gonna comeback again.

I think the lesson is that single elimination tournaments are crazy, so just get in, play your game, and see what happens.

Biggest takeaway: we have a hall of fame coach who still has it. And there are quite a few people on this board who ate a few platefuls of crow. Me included.

A real point guard is a must if we want to have a wire-to-wire successful season. Given the patchwork lineup we used, it's kind of incredible that we made such a nice run this season. Shows that a favorable draw means a lot, and that high effort and a little luck can overcome some flaws. Because this team was inherently flawed.

Everyone wants to be diplomatic (and maybe avoid arguments with the Pollyannas), so I think the tone on here seems to overstate our players' abilities and contributions this season. To say nothing of unreliable production from the 2 and 4, we had holes at every other position: Malachi overmatched at forward (didn't bite us as much as it could have, but he played a lot of weak-side spectator against good big men last night), smoke and mirrors at the five, and a nice kid at point guard who just never learned how to effectively play the position. To get that bunch to the Final Four required savvy coaching and great effort from the kids. It's remarkable. This should be a happy memory for SU fans for decades to come.

Going forward, though, hopefully the talent and personnel are a better fit for the team's needs. Frank Howard will be a big part of that puzzle next season; he hasn't put it all together yet, but his presence in the lineup was still a significant boon to our offense.

It should go without saying that because of the FF run, that this season was an overwhelming success, and these are just thoughts...but since people will probably get mad about the negatives, I'll preface my thoughts with how happy I am for the team/fans/me!

Takeaways:

- Agreed. I would be just as effusive with my praise for G as JB is/was, because the strides this kid made were unbelievable over the past two years. However, he never really became a true PG, we essentially were running a couple shooting guards out there. As a result, the offense could go stagnant, and G never became a great facilitator off the bounce. Mali was probably the best in that regard out of the starters. I do wish G had a better tourney run, the last three games in the NCAAT he was pretty blah (what was he, 1-15 on threes?). In spite of it, he had a great Senior year, and he was the PG that got us to the FF, so you can't complain too much!

- Kaleb Joseph. What the hell was that? Has any player ever seen that substantial of a drop off in minutes? Will her return? I think he may be fine if he does, but I do wonder a bit about that and whether he should just be shunned from the PG position. His game seems like G, not much PG in it even if he does have the handle/size to play it. Unlike G though, he seems lack in confidence as he went into a shell at some point this year, and fairly sure the last 3 or 4 shots he took this year were all airballs...that has to be a record even walk-ons couldn't touch (mostly because they don't get the minutes to put enough shots up).

- Mali! Will he go? I don't see it, but we shall see. Love the kid's second halves, but where are the first halves? lol He still needs to get stronger, and show off a better handle, but he has a great feel for the game and is a better passer/driver than I expected. Sky's the limit for him next year if he puts in the work. Kid definitely doesn't hide in big moments.

- Cooney! Soooooooo happy to see him go out the way he did after Pitt. Kid had a great tourney, and that second half against UNC was fantastic. For a moment I thought he and Mali might single-handedly bring us back, but UNC had the answers that nobody else did. It will forever baffle me that it took JB almost 3 years to finally rein him in though. The benching against Pitt, and the quick hook early in the tourney against Dayton or MTSU after one of his fading left, early shot-clock, crap jumpers was what he and the team needed, and TC responded subsequently. No clue why we waited on that move...nevertheless, kid will be remembered as a fierce competitor, solid player overall, and the FF run was awesome.

- Lydon. Awesome player, with tremendous upside. Disappeared for a bit after Atlantis, but his defense improved a ton (outside of a subpar second half against UNC, but it was UNC), and seemed to become more assertive as the year progressed. A lot to look forward to if he can improve, or at least show a bit more off the bounce to create his own opportunities.

- DC. Another kid with a good second half against UNC. He had his moments this year, and the big thing is that he made it through the season without an injury. No clue what to expect next year, but with his work ethic, it could be very good things. Or, it could be more of the same. Still think he brings the ball down too much!

- Howard. Tough to judge, but he looks promising. It was good to see him get some run to end the year.. Played erratic at times, but has PG skills, and we need that. Definitely has great vision, but still takes a lot of risks when passing the ball. His defense in the tourney was at a pretty high level overall (some issues recovering on shooters), which surprised me since it seems like that's why JB usually keeps kid's on the bench - or at least that's said a lot on the forum. I think he'll be a good one moving forward.

- Roberson. Awesome tourney, awesome kid. The same as every year with him. Will the light bulb click - meaning, will he be able to be consistent? Offer up more on offense? Seems like he has the tools, but the tools have yet to leave the toolbox for the most part. Still, he's a rebounding machine, and when he's aggressive, he's a game changer on the boards. Big fan - I really hope he has a Rak like Senior year and we some things most people aren't expecting.

I loved what you wrote!

Malachi has made comments about how awesome we will be next year. I believe he will try out for the NBA, not hire an agent, and ultimately come back to improve his game.

Takeaways:

I like when someone else puts together and incredibly long post b/c it makes me feel less bad when I do it. Good points in here as well. So I have a few personnel takeaways that I'll make shorter b/c I think you actually see a lot of it the way I did, as well as a few general takeaways, which I'll start with.

You've got to love all the hate. As a former media guy I tend to take the stance that the media may be in rough state these days and focused more on predicting the future and perceived scandals than actual news (or sports news, in this case), but when it comes to 'hating' syracuse I generally tend to believe most of the board is full of people who have about as much ability to handle criticism as a 12-year-old girl. However, in this case, there was an amazing amount of not only over-the-top criticism of the Cuse but poorly written, poorly articulated and generally baseless criticism. Gottlieb got nutty, somebody posted an article from a colorado paper about how terrible the whole tournament was b/c of the Cuse and then you had Bomani Jones (espn guy, think that's his name) going off on how a zone is cowardly b/c you'd never play it in pick-up (this one was particularly good). Anyway, bottom line, all it means is that we are a huge part of the college basketball world. We are relevant. We matter. And we should all love that. The football team had an exciting spring game but they could put up huge numbers and win 8 games this year but I'm not sure anyone outside of us would notice. Enjoy our status in college hoops.

How did we get to the final four? I loved JB's statement that he'll have to watch the tapes again to try and figure out how we got here b/c I feel the same way. I guess we played good d and Richardson was a one-man crew on the offensive boards. But it was a really odd run all in all. Enjoyable and awesome but strange.

Still would love to see this team able to score more consistently. My biggest frustration with this team all year were the struggles to consistently score. Feel like we've been in this spot for a while and this team was an improvement in the sense that it had multiple guys who were capable of scoring. Would love to see the next version of the Orange able to beat you in more of a variety of ways -- a little depth to potentially push the tempo at times, solid defensively but good enough offensively to win on a night when a team was giving the zone some fits.

Player take-aways

Mali/Lydon/Howard are all basketball players. I personally think Mali needs another year but it's his call. Lydon coming back is huge and I think Howard can take a legit step forward given his natural ability. But what I really like about all three is that they came to the Hill ready to play and contribute. Obviously opportunity is part of that but these kids weren't just specimens or talented offensive guys -- they all really played basketball and contributed in a variety of ways. Mali is probably more of a 2 but handled the wing in the zone admirably, rebounded a little, was really the only threat off the dribble and passed the ball well. Lydon improved tremendously defensively and though the offense came and went a bit, I think you're looking at a kid that will come back with a true inside/outside game and the ability to put it on the floor a little bit. That's extremely rare. Howard has a little ways to go but handled the ball well, got to the basket a little, passed well and should be solid on defense. Really impressive class.

Cooney saved his best for last. Crazy that Cooney leaves after playing really, really, really impressive basketball -- I'd argue the best of his career -- in the past 3.5 games. Good way to go out, a little sad that we didn't get there before, but ultimately the kid had a solid run.

Coleman did enough to become intriguing in '16-'17. If you had told me preseason that DC would average 16 mpg and 5 rpg in a 5-game tourney run at the end of the season I would have said you were insane. Just didn't see it. I would say, if I'm being honest, that I still think his chances of being a truly impactful guy in terms of being more than just a decent body to give you 15-20 mpg are not great. But the dude had 6+ rebounds in four of our last five games before the NCAA tourney and showed more signs of being a halfway decent catch and finish option (not that that would be more than 5 or 6 ppg, but still ...). Could he be a guy who plays 20-25 mpg and goes for 7 and 7 next year? Not sure but I think he did enough to potentially set up a much better senior year than most would have guessed even a few weeks ago.

Roberson could be the next senior to make the leap. Obviously the easiest type of prediction to make based on what he did this year. But I don't think it's far-fetched to see him put up a Rick Jackson type year next year. Maybe he makes enough of those jumpers to earn more rope from JB and bump the scoring average from ~9 to ~12 or 13. Could he average double-figures in rebounds? I don't see why not. That would be a beast of a player.

Sad to see it not work out (if that's the case) for Kaleb Joseph. If KJ transfers, it'll be too bad. Always hope it works out for these kids. If he sticks it out, good for him.

Anyway, excited for next season. Should be interesting with Lydon back. Eager to see what Mali decides as well.

We successfully navigated the sanctions.

That's my biggest takeaway.

Any worries that the sanctions would cripple us ended as we got some schollies back and racked up another Final 4.

A real point guard is a must if we want to have a wire-to-wire successful season. Given the patchwork lineup we used, it's kind of incredible that we made such a nice run this season. Shows that a favorable draw means a lot, and that high effort and a little luck can overcome some flaws. Because this team was inherently flawed.

Everyone wants to be diplomatic (and maybe avoid arguments with the Pollyannas), so I think the tone on here seems to overstate our players' abilities and contributions this season. To say nothing of unreliable production from the 2 and 4, we had holes at every other position: Malachi overmatched at forward (didn't bite us as much as it could have, but he played a lot of weak-side spectator against good big men last night), smoke and mirrors at the five, and a nice kid at point guard who just never learned how to effectively play the position. To get that bunch to the Final Four required savvy coaching and great effort from the kids. It's remarkable. This should be a happy memory for SU fans for decades to come.

Going forward, though, hopefully the talent and personnel are a better fit for the team's needs. Frank Howard will be a big part of that puzzle next season; he hasn't put it all together yet, but his presence in the lineup was still a significant boon to our offense.

Yeah, I agree with this though I'd suggest that it depends on whether you're looking at the regular season or the tourney run. I actually thought Cooney was absolutely rock solid at the two for the 4.5 games of that run. Best he had played in terms of control, decision-making, offensive productivity (even with fewer shots) to go along with his typical defensive effort. Also think it's tough to hammer Roberson for much after he averaged 11 rpg and played really tough in those 5 games. Also came into the UNC game averaging basically 10 ppg. Lastly, I think DC struggled, as usual, but also had some moments, which we hadn't seen in a while.

But, bottom line, a true PG as well as a leap from Roberson (not huge but from 9 and 8.5 to like 12 and 10) and some improved consistency from both Mali (if he returns) and Lydon would be great. A little more depth would be ideal as well.

I like when someone else puts together and incredibly long post b/c it makes me feel less bad when I do it. Good points in here as well. So I have a few personnel takeaways that I'll make shorter b/c I think you actually see a lot of it the way I did, as well as a few general takeaways, which I'll start with.

You've got to love all the hate. As a former media guy I tend to take the stance that the media may be in rough state these days and focused more on predicting the future and perceived scandals than actual news (or sports news, in this case), but when it comes to 'hating' syracuse I generally tend to believe most of the board is full of people who have about as much ability to handle criticism as a 12-year-old girl. However, in this case, there was an amazing amount of not only over-the-top criticism of the Cuse but poorly written, poorly articulated and generally baseless criticism. Gottlieb got nutty, somebody posted an article from a colorado paper about how terrible the whole tournament was b/c of the Cuse and then you had Bomani Jones (espn guy, think that's his name) going off on how a zone is cowardly b/c you'd never play it in pick-up (this one was particularly good). Anyway, bottom line, all it means is that we are a huge part of the college basketball world. We are relevant. We matter. And we should all love that. The football team had an exciting spring game but they could put up huge numbers and win 8 games this year but I'm not sure anyone outside of us would notice. Enjoy our status in college hoops.

How did we get to the final four? I loved JB's statement that he'll have to watch the tapes again to try and figure out how we got here b/c I feel the same way. I guess we played good d and Richardson was a one-man crew on the offensive boards. But it was a really odd run all in all. Enjoyable and awesome but strange.

Still would love to see this team able to score more consistently. My biggest frustration with this team all year were the struggles to consistently score. Feel like we've been in this spot for a while and this team was an improvement in the sense that it had multiple guys who were capable of scoring. Would love to see the next version of the Orange able to beat you in more of a variety of ways -- a little depth to potentially push the tempo at times, solid defensively but good enough offensively to win on a night when a team was giving the zone some fits.

Player take-aways

Mali/Lydon/Howard are all basketball players. I personally think Mali needs another year but it's his call. Lydon coming back is huge and I think Howard can take a legit step forward given his natural ability. But what I really like about all three is that they came to the Hill ready to play and contribute. Obviously opportunity is part of that but these kids weren't just specimens or talented offensive guys -- they all really played basketball and contributed in a variety of ways. Mali is probably more of a 2 but handled the wing in the zone admirably, rebounded a little, was really the only threat off the dribble and passed the ball well. Lydon improved tremendously defensively and though the offense came and went a bit, I think you're looking at a kid that will come back with a true inside/outside game and the ability to put it on the floor a little bit. That's extremely rare. Howard has a little ways to go but handled the ball well, got to the basket a little, passed well and should be solid on defense. Really impressive class.

Cooney saved his best for last. Crazy that Cooney leaves after playing really, really, really impressive basketball -- I'd argue the best of his career -- in the past 3.5 games. Good way to go out, a little sad that we didn't get there before, but ultimately the kid had a solid run.

Coleman did enough to become intriguing in '16-'17. If you had told me preseason that DC would average 16 mpg and 5 rpg in a 5-game tourney run at the end of the season I would have said you were insane. Just didn't see it. I would say, if I'm being honest, that I still think his chances of being a truly impactful guy in terms of being more than just a decent body to give you 15-20 mpg are not great. But the dude had 6+ rebounds in four of our last five games before the NCAA tourney and showed more signs of being a halfway decent catch and finish option (not that that would be more than 5 or 6 ppg, but still ...). Could he be a guy who plays 20-25 mpg and goes for 7 and 7 next year? Not sure but I think he did enough to potentially set up a much better senior year than most would have guessed even a few weeks ago.

Roberson could be the next senior to make the leap. Obviously the easiest type of prediction to make based on what he did this year. But I don't think it's far-fetched to see him put up a Rick Jackson type year next year. Maybe he makes enough of those jumpers to earn more rope from JB and bump the scoring average from ~9 to ~12 or 13. Could he average double-figures in rebounds? I don't see why not. That would be a beast of a player.

Sad to see it not work out (if that's the case) for Kaleb Joseph. If KJ transfers, it'll be too bad. Always hope it works out for these kids. If he sticks it out, good for him.

Anyway, excited for next season. Should be interesting with Lydon back. Eager to see what Mali decides as well.

This may be the best formatted post in forum history. Well done!

Agreed, Roberson's progression as a player will be incredibly interesting next year. I keep thinking he's going to make the jump, and next year (for us) is do or die time in that regard. I think he can do it - it's just taking longer for everything to click than I think anyone expected. If he can add a mid-range jumper, he becomes incredibly dangerous. If he can work on that, and putting a consistent effort we should be in good shape on the boards next year with Chukwu in the mix.

Never underestimate the value of great senior leaders. G and Cooney by all accounts were super in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom