Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company

Lamar career playoff stats: 1,324 passing yards (221 ypg) on 57.4% completion percentage, 521 rush yards (87 ypg), 9 total TDs, 9 turnovers.

Allen career playoff stats: 2,723 passing yards (272 ypg) on 64.6% completion percentage, 563 rush yards (56.3 ypg), 26 total TDs, 6 turnovers.

Remind me again why one always gets a pass while the other gets crushed every time his defense lets him down in the playoffs?

Lamar career playoff stats: 1,324 passing yards (221 ypg) on 57.4% completion percentage, 521 rush yards (87 ypg), 9 total TDs, 9 turnovers.

Allen career playoff stats: 2,723 passing yards (272 ypg) on 64.6% completion percentage, 563 rush yards (56.3 ypg), 26 total TDs, 6 turnovers.

Remind me again why one always gets a pass while the other gets crushed every time his defense lets him down in the playoffs?
The answer has more to do with who is giving the passes than than the passee.

Get ready for a few days of everyone blaming Harbaugh and letting Lamar skate

Last edited:

If you think Lamar gets a pass for his playoff performances, you’re probably in a bit of an echo chamber. Lamar and Allen are both constantly ridiculed for coming up short in the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s even remotely warranted in the case of Allen, whereas Lamar has definitely given people actual ammo.

If you think Lamar gets a pass for his playoff performances, you’re probably in a bit of an echo chamber. Lamar and Allen are both constantly ridiculed for coming up short in the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s even remotely warranted in the case of Allen, whereas Lamar has definitely given people actual ammo.

It's mostly the ESPN morning radio idiots, but there's been a fair amount floating around on Twitter. You're right, though, Lamar does get blasted for his playoff shortcomings but he doesn't generate nearly as much hate as Allen does, IMO.

They would both be helped if every time they pointed down field the Referees threw a PI penalty flag

I believe zero PIs called on Chiefs, while the Ravens knocked a Chief off his line and Mahomes points downfield and the flag is thrown.

That would go a long way toward keeping drives alive and winning games.

It's mostly the ESPN morning radio idiots, but there's been a fair amount floating around on Twitter. You're right, though, Lamar does get blasted for his playoff shortcomings but he doesn't generate nearly as much hate as Allen does, IMO.
I have a tough time debating who the 2nd best QB in the league is. I think you can make the argument for Burrow, Josh and yes Lamar. Obviously, each fan base is bias but I can see the reasoning for all 3.

I just don't understand the Allen "hate". Great talent and a good guy. Lamar supposedly is a good guy but this year his #s aren't close and his playoff woes continue. Will be interesting to see how MVP voting goes.

I just don't understand the Allen "hate". Great talent and a good guy. Lamar supposedly is a good guy but this year his #s aren't close and his playoff woes continue. Will be interesting to see how MVP voting goes.

Lamar is guaranteed to be the MVP. He clinched it with that Miami game, even though Josh's stats are more or less better across the board, aside from turnovers.

I think the Allen hate is mostly backlash against the hype he receives from other people. I don't really see anyone make the argument that Lamar outplays Mahomes but his team loses whereas people have definitely argued Allen > Mahomes as he continues to lose head to head in the playoffs, the hate comes.

There was definitely more to it than that in Allen's early years, but I think most rational analysts have come around on Allen being an elite QB at this point.

As for MVP voting, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lamar won. The question is how many first place votes other candidates receive; we know Allen received at least two. I'm sure McCaffrey and Purdy probably received a few as well.

I have a tough time debating who the 2nd best QB in the league is. I think you can make the argument for Burrow, Josh and yes Lamar. Obviously, each fan base is bias but I can see the reasoning for all 3.
Precisely. I will say in this moment, I'm putting Burrow a tier below the other three just because he was pretty mediocre this season before his season was ended again and I just need to see him hit his peak again post-injury. So for now, I have him on a tier with Herbert and Stafford, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he or Herbert ascend to Tier 1 next year.

After those 6, things really get muddied in my opinion. I know a couple of the guys I have in the tier below them are probably not consensus opinions at the moment lol.

Precisely. I will say in this moment, I'm putting Burrow a tier below the other three just because he was pretty mediocre this season before his season was ended again and I just need to see him hit his peak again post-injury. So for now, I have him on a tier with Herbert and Stafford, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he or Herbert ascend to Tier 1 next year.

After those 6, things really get muddied in my opinion. I know a couple of the guys I have in the tier below them are probably not consensus opinions at the moment lol.

It's crazy to me that potentially the top 6 QB's in the league are all in the AFC (Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Burrow, Herbert, Stroud).

If I had to choose one of these Qb's it would be Josh Allen but again I am bias but with a gun to my head that's where I would go. Next would be Joe Burrow but he has had a tough time staying healthy.

Josh has really been solid if not great in the playoffs as well. Burrow has more than delivered there as well. Lamar has not been good in playoffs to say the least. Bills fans thought everything lined up for them this year? I mean Ravens' fans have to be sick, qb injuries in their division etc. Bye week, Lamar healthy playing at a MVP level with a lockdown defense, They blew it.

Dan Campbell was right when he said it's really tough to get back to the AFC/ NFC Championship games. I felt the Bills were a year early when they got there and 3 years later they still have not been back. Somebody has to beat Mahomes other than Joe Burrow at some point

If I had to choose one of these Qb's it would be Josh Allen but again I am bias but with a gun to my head that's where I would go. Next would be Joe Burrow but he has had a tough time staying healthy.

Josh has really solid if not great in the playoffs as well. Burrow has more than delivered there as well. Lamar has not been good in playoffs to say the least. Bills fans though everything lined up for them this year? I mean Ravens' fans have to be sick, qb injuries in their division etc. Bye week etc. They blew it.

It's wild to think that in a couple of weeks, Lamar will have the same number of MVPs as he has playoff wins. That's got to be beyond frustrating as a Ravens fan.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was curious about playoff wins for QB's that have multiple MVPs. As you might imagine, Lamar compares terribly to them:

Peyton Manning - 5 MVPs, 14 playoff wins, 2 super bowls
Aaron Rodgers - 4 MVPs, 12 playoff wins, 1 super bowl
Tom Brady - 3 MVPs, 35 playoff wins, 7 super bowls
Johnny Unitas - 3 MVPs, 6 playoff wins (mostly pre-wildcard era), 1 super bowl
Patrick Mahomes - 2 MVPs, 14 playoff wins, 2 super bowls
Joe Montana - 2 MVPs, 16 playoff wins, 4 super bowls
Kurt Warner - 2 MVPs, 9 playoff wins, 1 super bowl
Steve Young - 2 MVPs, 14 playoff wins, 3 super bowls

Steve Young - 2 MVPs, 14 playoff wins, 3 super bowls
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

Some Senior Bowl takeaways thus far, mostly focused on WRs:
  • Tez Walker is crossed off my list entirely. I didn't like him coming in anyways but he's looked terrible the first two days. Fine Day 2 pick for a rebuilding team that can be patient with his development but I don't think he's draftable for us given where we are in the building process.
  • Hoping Xavier Legette has a better practice today, but I've been fairly skeptical of him throughout and he struggled on Day 1. Significantly shorter than expected and just isn't very quick off the snap. I know he's got wheels if you give him a lot of build up space but he tried to take every rep vertically yesterday and just couldn't pull away from anyone.
  • Roman Wilson and Ladd McConkey dominated Day 1. Wilson looked good Day 2 as well (McConkey's team hasn't practiced yet). Both of these guys are likely slots in the NFL though, so not sure about the fit here unless we plan to move Shakir outside. I think there's a chance Wilson could play outside in the NFL despite being undersized; he has great footwork on his releases.
  • Javon Baker continues to be a sleeper for me. Great releases off the line, able to stack the DB on vertical routes and create separation on crossing routes.
  • Ricky Pearsall is a sleeper to keep an eye on too. Played almost exclusively in the slot in college but he's been used exclusively out wide at the Senior Bowl and he looks surprisingly comfortable out there. Seems to be getting open a lot; feel like he'll draw Chris Hogan comparisons based on his game, size, and the fact that he's a white WR.
  • Two other standouts to me have been Ohio State DT Michael Hall and Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell. Mitchell seems to be skyrocketing up boards and will be out of draft range (not that we want a corner in the 1st anyways). Hall is currently viewed as a Day 2/3 pick, but it sounds like a lot of that is based on perceived character issues. At any rate, he had a fantastic day today; a couple amazing pass rushes and also batted a pass at the line.

Some Senior Bowl takeaways thus far, mostly focused on WRs:
  • Tez Walker is crossed off my list entirely. I didn't like him coming in anyways but he's looked terrible the first two days. Fine Day 2 pick for a rebuilding team that can be patient with his development but I don't think he's draftable for us given where we are in the building process.
  • Hoping Xavier Legette has a better practice today, but I've been fairly skeptical of him throughout and he struggled on Day 1. Significantly shorter than expected and just isn't very quick off the snap. I know he's got wheels if you give him a lot of build up space but he tried to take every rep vertically yesterday and just couldn't pull away from anyone.
  • Roman Wilson and Ladd McConkey dominated Day 1. Wilson looked good Day 2 as well (McConkey's team hasn't practiced yet). Both of these guys are likely slots in the NFL though, so not sure about the fit here unless we plan to move Shakir outside. I think there's a chance Wilson could play outside in the NFL despite being undersized; he has great footwork on his releases.
  • Javon Baker continues to be a sleeper for me. Great releases off the line, able to stack the DB on vertical routes and create separation on crossing routes.
  • Ricky Pearsall is a sleeper to keep an eye on too. Played almost exclusively in the slot in college but he's been used exclusively out wide at the Senior Bowl and he looks surprisingly comfortable out there. Seems to be getting open a lot; feel like he'll draw Chris Hogan comparisons based on his game, size, and the fact that he's a white WR.
  • Two other standouts to me have been Ohio State DT Michael Hall and Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell. Mitchell seems to be skyrocketing up boards and will be out of draft range (not that we want a corner in the 1st anyways). Hall is currently viewed as a Day 2/3 pick, but it sounds like a lot of that is based on perceived character issues. At any rate, he had a fantastic day today; a couple amazing pass rushes and also batted a pass at the line.

Great recap, hard to see Buffalo not going Wr round 1 or at worst Rd 2.