BJ Johnson | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

bj df 10.jpg
View attachment 2471
I was going to mention something about the refs before...
Seems like a weird double foul called on a charge that gave Chester momentum. Even though the blogger I listened to was pro Chester, you could tell he knew something was amiss. This and a few other fouls called at the end of quarter 2 changed momentum as LM had a 4 point lead I believe, then went into half 2 down from this less than 2 minute stretch. Still, not to take away from Chester though as it seemed both defenses played hard.

All though BJ did not shoot the ball well in this game 4-17(Brutal) he was able to get pass defenders mainly jefferson and other players pretty easily before getting winded late in the 3rd period. He finish with 11pts and 11rebs. He seemed a bit anxious to go at them. He kept trying to attack and on the offensive end. He got fouled on several occasions without it being called. But he clearly beat his man to get to the basket or in the lane. Lesson learned!

View attachment 2472 View attachment 2471

All though BJ did not shoot the ball well in this game 4-17(Brutal) he was able to get pass defenders mainly jefferson and other players pretty easily before getting winded late in the 3rd period. He finish with 11pts and 11rebs. He seemed a bit anxious to go at them. He kept trying to attack and on the offensive end. He got fouled on several occasions without it being called. But he clearly beat his man to get to the basket or in the lane. Lesson learned!
Nice picture, easily gets by Rondae there!

bj df6.jpg
Nice picture, easily gets by Rondae there!

He was able to do that often but they ran out of gas. They kept a fresh body on him throughout the game. Today I spoke to coach about conditioning and made some suggestions to work on stamina because it is clear that we are going to go to war with 7-8deep and they need to get in better condition to finish strong. Even the Wife thought that LM would win after the half going into the third period and knows very little about BB. They must have eaten a full course meal at halftime or something.:confused: I see us winning the states in a rematch if LM can improve on conditioning. View attachment 2473

Well the ACES open up as the #2 seed in AAAA State in the West Bracket against Carlisle High School (Billy Owens/Jeff Lebo alma mater of whom I played against in College) at Coatesville High at 3pm on Saturday. Let's Go ACES/BJ. We are looking to go one at a time to the State CHIP which goes through chester. Let's Have Some Fun Kickin Somebody's Ass All Da Way To Da CHIP.:mad:

Congratulations to BJ for his League MVP honors back to back years.
Boys' Hoops: All-Central League Team

POSTED: Friday, March 8, 2013, 12:53 PM
Rick O'Brien, Inquirer Columnist

Lower Merion's B.J. Johnson, a Syracuse commit, was selected as the Central League's most vaulable player.
All-Central League Boys' Basketball Team
First Team
B.J. Johnson, Lower Merion (MVP)
Jon McGill, Ridley
Matt Sherman, Harriton
Yohanny Dalembert, Lower Merion
Raheem Hall, Lower Merion
Eddie Baxter, Penncrest
Zack Yonda, Conestoga
Kuity Slanger, Upper Darby

Southern 74, Franklin 73 Qtr finals in the Public League 1985 Will Crandall hit eighth man Bob Johnson for a vicious dunk and a 72-67 lead with 0:16 left. Johnson finished 6-for-7 and 9-for-10 for 21 points. Lionel Simmons added 19 points. Paul “Snoop” Graham (25) and Jerome “Pooh” Richardson (24) led the losers. Thinking back to when Basketball was the best in Philly. Only played 2nd and 4th quarters.:mad:
Southern 70, Gratz 69 Semi-Finals After blowing a 10-point, fourth-quarter lead, Southern survived when John Erby converted a layup off a fastbreak pass from Will Crandall with 0:08 left. The Rams advanced to the final for the first time since 1969; they’d lost five times in the semis since. Lionel Simmons (20), Irv Hutcherson and sub Bob Johnson (18 apiece) paced the scoring. Gratz’s Walt Dozier had 20 points, 11 rebounds. Another war with great team who also had Brian Shorter on that team.:mad:

Southern 74, Franklin 73 Qtr finals in the Public League 1985 Will Crandall hit eighth man Bob Johnson for a vicious dunk and a 72-67 lead with 0:16 left. Johnson finished 6-for-7 and 9-for-10 for 21 points. Lionel Simmons added 19 points. Paul “Snoop” Graham (25) and Jerome “Pooh” Richardson (24) led the losers. Thinking back to when Basketball was the best in Philly. Only played 2nd and 4th quarters.:mad:
Southern 70, Gratz 69 Semi-Finals After blowing a 10-point, fourth-quarter lead, Southern survived when John Erby converted a layup off a fastbreak pass from Will Crandall with 0:08 left. The Rams advanced to the final for the first time since 1969; they’d lost five times in the semis since. Lionel Simmons (20), Irv Hutcherson and sub Bob Johnson (18 apiece) paced the scoring. Gratz’s Walt Dozier had 20 points, 11 rebounds. Another war with great team who also had Brian Shorter on that team.:mad:
That's you playing with L-Train and leading the way? Sweet!

‎1985
At Temple's McGonigle Hall
Dobbins 86, Southern 62
Greg "Bo" Kimble had 27 points, 12 rebounds and three assists as Dobbins won its first title in its 40th PL season. Eric "Hank" Gathers added 27 points, 14 rebounds and 4 assists. Sophomore Doug Overton had 12 points and 4 assists. For Southern, Lionel Simmons had 18 points and 11 boards. Bob Johnson added 10pts. Ran into a buzzsaw. Some running and gunning hoopers. to hell with the plays. By the time we made a run at them (9pts) it was too late. Any way it was a hell of a run in the playoffs and that year. We were the only 13-0 teams that year.

That's you playing with L-Train and leading the way? Sweet!

Tee if I told you that I only played one year of Varsity High School Basketball in 1985 and I only weighed 139pds, 6'3" and played F-C would you believe it. Well that the double truth Ruth. In that era, you had to run with "da big dogs."

‎1985
At Temple's McGonigle Hall
Dobbins 86, Southern 62
Greg "Bo" Kimble had 27 points, 12 rebounds and three assists as Dobbins won its first title in its 40th PL season. Eric "Hank" Gathers added 27 points, 14 rebounds and 4 assists. Sophomore Doug Overton had 12 points and 4 assists. For Southern, Lionel Simmons had 18 points and 11 boards. Bob Johnson added 10pts. Ran into a buzzsaw. Some running and gunning hoopers. to hell with the plays. By the time we made a run at them (9pts) it was too late. Any way it was a hell of a run in the playoffs and that year. We were the only 13-0 teams that year.
Wow, I remember these two guy's style. Get a layup or easy transition shot inside of 7 seconds. Even on an inbound after other team's made shot.

Wow, I remember these two guy's style. Get a layup or easy transition shot inside of 7 seconds. Even on an inbound after other team's made shot.
This was High School before they got to LMU. Ben Franklin was #1 in the country and the other teams mentioned were not too shabby either.

Tee if I told you that I only played one year of Varsity High School Basketball in 1985 and I only weighed 139pds, 6'3" and played F-C would you believe it. Well that the double truth Ruth. In that era, you had to run with "da big dogs."
Yeah, nowadays, I wouldn't believe it but back a couple of years, I would.

My dad went to Dewitt Clinton High School in the Bronx. He is 5'9, played point guard but not a starter for good reason.
When he was a senior, a young freshman said he'd torch the whole squad that was out there, my dad included. They said 'sure, young punk' or similar, and he dribbled through all five guys end to end, with amazing speed and handle finished with an easy deuce.
He was Nate "Tiny" Archibald.

Yeah, nowadays, I wouldn't believe it but back a couple of years, I would.

My dad went to Dewitt Clinton High School in the Bronx. He is 5'9, played point guard but not a starter for good reason.
When he was a senior, a young freshman said he'd torch the whole squad that was out there, my dad included. They said 'sure, young punk' or similar, and he dribbled through all five guys end to end, with amazing speed and handle finished with an easy deuce.
He was Nate "Tiny" Archibald.
NY was always known for guards that could handle the rock.

NY was always known for guards that could handle the rock.
Yup, speaking of, Kenny Anderson who played for Molloy (literally across the street from my grandparent's and two streets from where my wife grew up), I got to see him play at a park I used to play full court on. Never saw a player dribble the ball with that much speed and lateral quickness as I did the one time I saw him play at this park.

Yup, speaking of, Kenny Anderson who played for Molloy (literally across the street from my grandparent's and two streets from where my wife grew up), I got to see him play at a park I used to play full court on. Never saw a player dribble the ball with that much speed and lateral quickness as I did the one time I saw him play at this park.
I thought Rod Strickland was probably the best I saw with the rock. KA was no slouch either.

View attachment 2569 BJ led the ACES with 18pts in a 77-37 win over Carlisle today. Second round play against MLK on Wednesday. Got a chance to talk with Billy Owens after the game. He spoke to BJ as well about his game and future workouts. Good Dude.
Nice finish on this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom