BJ Johnson | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

th_kennypowers.png

Johnson dunk lifts L. Merion
031613_bj_johnson_lmerion_600 vs hb.jpg

Nick Carroll, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 6:44 PM
READING - B.J. Johnson limped across Lower Merion's locker room.
With every step, the senior alternated between a grimace and a smile, fighting back the pain of a twice-rolled right ankle with the excitement of his team's 63-62 victory against Harrisburg in a PIAA Class AAAA boys' basketball quarterfinal Saturday at the Geigle Complex.
Johnson, seeking a place to rest, was surrounded by teammates, with excited talk of his game-changing dunk filling the Aces' locker room.
Just minutes before the postgame hysteria, Johnson, a Syracuse recruit, took a pass on a backdoor cut, dunked over Harrisburg's backside support, and was fouled. His three-point play gave Lower Merion a 61-59 lead with less than 20 seconds to go.
Only two minutes before that, Johnson was on the floor in pain holding the ankle he had rolled.
"When I came out, it was killing me," said Johnson, who finished with 14 points and said there was no chance he would stay out of the game. "When I tied my sneaker up and ran up and down the floor a couple times, it was just pure adrenaline. I didn't even feel it anymore."
Lower Merion senior guard Raheem Hall helped set up Johnson's dunk.
"I was going to try to get to the basket," said Hall, who led the Aces with 16 points. "But B.J.'s man was hugging him. We made eye contact and the back door was right there, and it was a tremendous finish."
After his dunk, Johnson helped force a turnover on Harrisburg's ensuing possession. JaQuan Johnson followed with a pair of free throws to ice it before a Harrisburg three-pointer at the buzzer.
"There's no tomorrow," Lower Merion coach Gregg Downer said. "We had a lot of kids playing with a lot of grit and determination."
There was almost no tomorrow for Lower Merion, which will play New Castle on Tuesday in the semifinals with a chance to make its second straight finals appearance.
The Aces trailed, 51-43, with about five minutes to play before Yohanny Dalembert delivered a highlight-reel reverse dunk to end Harrisburg's 7-0 run and swing momentum.
m
tad

"He reminded me of Blake Griffin on that," Hall said. "We really needed that. It set the tone."

BJ!!!! BJ!!!!
I'm Still Amped!!! Had to get the boys fired up once I got to the game. We were sleepwalking at first. By the time I was finished yelling and screamin we were awake. The mainline folks are very conservative and I bring that South Phila motivation and fight to the audience. Sometimes they think they are at a cricket match or something. :) Ok Lets Go Cuse!!!!SUball
bj and1 dunk.jpg

He had to change from 35 to 5 because the shirt was too small. And I thought that he got number 5 because I wore 5 in HS. He told me that it Kevin Durant's # in the Olympics. He stated that he did not know that I wore #5 in HS. Well it was a nice thought anyway.:)
With CJ having another year, maybe BJ can wear "55" next year.

With CJ having another year, maybe BJ can wear "55" next year.

If BJ has his choice and the #35 is available that would be it. #55 is not a bad choice. That guy could play a little.;) I don't care what #he has as long as he continues to work to be a better player and compete to win.(Spot,minutes, etc.)

OG, I know this has probably been touched on in this thread but where is Raheem heading for college ball?
He has been sought by some low mid majors and D2 schools. I would think that some of the schools that are in the building are there to see him. I have not talked to anyone during those times about Raheem. I am aware that Raheem, YoYo and Justin have quite a few of those DI to mid majors at the games. I believe that Raheem is able to play D1 as 1 or 2 depending on the type of school. He will need to continue to work of course to improve his jumper. YoYo continues to improve and has Temple and others looking at him.

BJ and Justin both of whom twisted ankles in the game. BJ (twice-in the last minute of game pulled a Willis Reed)
bj and1 dunk.jpg
have been getting treatment at the Nova Care Center for the last two days and tomorrow at 8am will be ready to go. Parent bus pulling out at 3pm and fired up.couchburn

I've watched the BJ dunk a few times now, and two things clearly stand out.
  1. BJ just sets his guy up nicely with a great sell as he pretends to come back to the ball. My dad taught me similarly when trying to juke a guy to get open in football. You come back to the ball hard, then even an extra gear as you reverse direction, in BJ's case, towards the rim, back door. Well executed.
  2. The other team's heads are down, defeated even though there were 12 seconds or so left in the game. That play couldn't have come at a better time for LM, as it wrecked their opponents psyche.

I've watched the BJ dunk a few times now, and two things clearly stand out.
  1. BJ just sets his guy up nicely with a great sell as he pretends to come back to the ball. My dad taught me similarly when trying to juke a guy to get open in football. You come back to the ball hard, then even an extra gear as you reverse direction, in BJ's case, towards the rim, back door. Well executed.
  2. The other team's heads are down, defeated even though there were 12 seconds or so left in the game. That play couldn't have come at a better time for LM, as it wrecked their opponents psyche.

LM is known to be a bunch of nice kids(Drives Me EFFIN Nuts:mad: ) I continue to work with BJ on using different ways to use his weapons to get open and cracking the hell out of somebody on offense in some cases. Ok I'm Ol' SKOOL.:mad: I told him later that night that moves, tactics and physical plays like that is what has to happen throughout the game. He gave the dude a little help with the arm on the elbow since he wanted to press up and overplay. He had beat the same guy earlier in the quarter but did not finish and and I yelling for him to concentrate and FINISH! :mad: Boy just when I thought boy wasn't listening.;)

If BJ has his choice and the #35 is available that would be it. #55 is not a bad choice. That guy could play a little.;) I don't care what #he has as long as he continues to work to be a better player and compete to win.(Spot,minutes, etc.)
35 was Jim Boeheim's number.

Nope. He didn't make his name wearing that uniform, but by yelling at the younger guys who have worn it.
That's funny. This ought to be good. All coaches yell and curse all the time. BJ should be used to it. I was told that if the coach was yelling and cursing at you then that meant that you were in the game. But if he did not say anything to you, then you were most likely sitting on the wood needing a long distance phone call from him to be reached.

He has been sought by some low mid majors and D2 schools. I would think that some of the schools that are in the building are there to see him. I have not talked to anyone during those times about Raheem. I am aware that Raheem, YoYo and Justin have quite a few of those DI to mid majors at the games. I believe that Raheem is able to play D1 as 1 or 2 depending on the type of school. He will need to continue to work of course to improve his jumper. YoYo continues to improve and has Temple and others looking at him.

Appreciate the updates. Between seeing us struggle with the Lville press and watching the LM highlights I couldn't help but think he'd be a nice guy to have on the team in those situations. Looks like he may have a little bit of Scoop in his game but maybe I'm reaching there because of the Philly connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom