Bo Ryan can't win the big one | Syracusefan.com

Bo Ryan can't win the big one

I agree with him that there was too much hand checking but come on you can't blame it on the refs always. It comes down to defense and hitting shots!

Who cares? Someone needs to say it. This sport is turning into a joke because of the officials. If it takes a nutty coach for everyone to realize it tha. So be it. Wisconsin played 8 on 5 the second half.

What an embarrassing post-game interview that was from Ryan.
Ha, really? I was just making a joke because I really dislike the guy. Didn't know he was acting like a poor sport too.

Who cares? Someone needs to say it. This sport is turning into a joke because of the officials. If it takes a nutty coach for everyone to realize it tha. So be it. Wisconsin played 8 on 5 the second half.

But when they had the 3 in there favor in the first with Winslow and Okafor both on the bench with 2 they couknt take advantage. 2 1st half fouls . . . . 2 What is that? The on late not called on Winslow and the replay out on Winslow next pisesdion were killer.

But when they had the 3 in there favor in the first with Winslow and Okafor both on the bench with 2 they couknt take advantage. 2 1st half fouls . . . . 2 What is that? The on late not called on Winslow and the replay out on Winslow next pisesdion were killer.

there's the old school jordoo spelling I remember.

Can't disagree. Wisconsin let them back in and did not take advantage when they should have. Bo did not react well and got outcoached. Simple.

What an embarrassing post-game interview that was from Ryan.

Maybe I'm wrong, though - Gumbel said that Ryan was gracious and classy in the interview
Did Gumbel even listen to what Ryan said? My god that was the definition of classless yet Gumbel fawned over him.

Also, wow was Ryan classless in the PC saying Duke was full of rent-a-players. What a douche and classless performance. We get it you are hurting, but my goodness Ryan was a dink.

Did Gumbel even listen to what Ryan said? My god that was the definition of classless yet Gumbel fawned over him.

Also, wow was Ryan classless in the PC saying Duke was full of rent-a-players. What a douche and classless performance. We get it you are hurting, but my goodness Ryan was a dink.

What a great leader and role model Ryan is.

So sad that Bo Ryan is made to look bad by the way he handled the presser. But if the refs had done their job properly, we would have had a buzzer beater game with no complaints from anyone at the end. The refs get away with being pathetic and Ryan ends up being their fall guy.

So sad that Bo Ryan is made to look bad by the way he handled the presser. But if the refs had done their job properly, we would have had a buzzer beater game with no complaints from anyone at the end. The refs get away with being pathetic and Ryan ends up being their fall guy.

Ryan made himself look like the bad guy. Never mind the officiating comments - why did he bother making the "rent-a-player" comments?

I kill college refs for their pathetic performances all the time, but Ryan was flat out embarrassing. He called Duke's freshman rent-a-players he should and complain about the nickel dime fouls that Okafor and Winslow got in the first half.

th

Wisconsin doesn't rent players and they don't win national championships in basketball.

Wisconsin doesn't rent players and they don't win national championships in basketball.

Not for lack of trying on either front.

Ryan and his players complain and whine about every foul called against them. Even the blatantly obvious ones. I'm convinced it's part of their schtick. They do it right from the beginning of the game and it works, because refs are reluctant to call fouls on them. But it didn't work in this game, especially in the second half

Alsacs said:
I kill college refs for their pathetic performances all the time, but Ryan was flat out embarrassing. He called Duke's freshman rent-a-players he should and complain about the nickel dime fouls that Okafor and Winslow got in the first half.

I'm not sure he was talking about Duke with that comment - he may have been. People on our site talk about Kentucky all the time in that way. I'm not sure why a coach cannot talk about it as well. But I know where you're coming from. I was really reacting to the ESPN and CBS commentators who criticized Bo and did not criticize the refs in nearly the same manner. Lost some respect for Bilas after the game when he said the refs did not impact the game - What! But of course as a Dukie, I probably should not have expected anything different.

I'm not sure he was talking about Duke with that comment - he may have been. People on our site talk about Kentucky all the time in that way. I'm not sure why a coach cannot talk about it as well. But I know where you're coming from. I was really reacting to the ESPN and CBS commentators who criticized Bo and did not criticize the refs in nearly the same manner. Lost some respect for Bilas after the game when he said the refs did not impact the game - What! But of course as a Dukie, I probably should not have expected anything different.

It was a great game - two great teams. In the first half both Okafor and Winslow got ticky tack fouls that effected who and how Duke played too though. Both sat for extended periods of time. The Badgers didn't have that issue to contend with. Instead that Allen kid came in and they couldn't contain him (he didn't play a second against Wisconsin in their game earlier in the season). Kaminsky had both Jefferson and Plumlee guarding him for long periods of time but Bo didn't rest Kaminsky playing him 39 minutes while Okafor only played 22. They didn't take advantage of those mismatches enough. Duke came back playing bench players. Kaminsky looked gassed when Okafor reappeared late in the game to score those 5 quick points. Duke's bench and guard play won the game. Duke played 8 players , the Badgers 7 - looked like Wisconsin didn't have a bench player to even spell Kaminsky a few minutes even with Plumlee and/or Jefferson against him. Despite our rep for a short bench, we even used 8 players in 2003.

That out of bounds call sure did look wrong and if the refs got the same slo-mo replay we did, I agree, don't know how they missed it. Regardless we got to see two heavyweight teams go toe to toe in a great game.

Just wondering why some folks on this thread say Okafor and Winslow picked up tick tack fouls in the first half. The fouls seemed pretty clear cut to me. The first foul on Okafor he barreled over Kaminsky - every ref in the world would have made that call - even the incompetent ones we saw in this tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom