Boeheim #12 is ESPN Top 50 Coaches Countdown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim #12 is ESPN Top 50 Coaches Countdown

over the top? well you know the saying opinions are like everyone has one and you are entitled to yours !

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you see that it's Eammon Brennans opinion?

ditor's note: During the next five weeks, we will reveal the top 50 coaches in college basketball as decided by our ESPN Forecast panel.
His name is at the emd of the article (which in all honesty I didn't waste my time reading).

If you really wanted to be "technical" how would even rank coaches based on strategy and in-game decisions? Wins per non-NBA player? Probability of winning with a lead of X with Y minutes to go? Come from behind wins? It seems impossible. Duke's had 4 times as many NBA players/All Americans than Syracuse so of course K should have all those achievements.

Unless you use an actual quantitative thing, you're basically just using Final Fours/titles (plus a few spots up or down if you do or don't like someone). The best coach is probably some guy from directional Michigan U or South Delaware St.

Boeheim is #2 in wins and top 10 in FFs since 1987 so I don't know why you even need made-up rankings when you have ones that measure actual things.

any more than they would about the opinion of some random guy at a bar.
Except that this "some guy"'s opinion is published prominently by the World Wide Leader and made to look official, and subsequently lapped up by the gazillions of dolts that visit the website every day, which subsequently perpetuates the longstanding national disrespect of JB and the program.
It's an joke and I'll go ahead and express as much on this here SYRACUSE BASKETBALL FAN FORUM.
:noidea:

I would agree if he had more championships to go with basically the best recruiting class every year.
He's had the best recruiting class exactly 4 times in his career. Let me let you guys in on a little secret, the best coaches usually win because they have the best players. Phil Jackson is a great coach but he always won with the best players, same for Red Auerbach, John Wooden and every other legendary coach there is. You may think Coach K wins with a rag tag group of McDonald's All Americans but the truth is he has elite talent every single year. I'm not sure why some coaches are discredited for having talent while others aren't.

He's had the best recruiting class exactly 4 times in his career. Let me let you guys in on a little secret, the best coaches usually win because they have the best players. Phil Jackson is a great coach but he always won with the best players, same for Red Auerbach, John Wooden and every other legendary coach there is. You may think Coach K wins with a rag tag group of McDonald's All Americans but the truth is he has elite talent every single year. I'm not sure why some coaches are discredited for having talent while others aren't.

Clearly all you have to do is bring in talent and the rest takes care of itself. Just ask Rick Barnes and Tommy Amaker.

Except that this "some guy"'s opinion is published prominently by the World Wide Leader and made to look official, and subsequently lapped up by the gazillions of dolts that visit the website every day, which subsequently perpetuates the longstanding national disrespect of JB and the program.
That's one really good sentence. :cool:

[quotetwelfth="pearl31, post: 1069724, member: 1531"]Except that this "some guy"'s opinion is published prominently by the World Wide Leader and made to look official, and subsequently lapped up by the gazillions of dolts that visit the website every day, which subsequently perpetuates the longstanding national disrespect of JB and the program.
It's an joke and I'll go ahead and express as much on this here SYRACUSE BASKETBALL FAN FORUM.
:noidea:[/quote]

Yeah. Twelfth best out of three hundred. What disresPect.

While I think I agree with you overall, win total may be one of the most overrated stats in existence.
Amongst coaches? What could be a better barometer of coaching success than wins and championships? I mean it's example a of sustained success.

For baseball pitchers I agree.

[quotetwelfth="pearl31, post: 1069724, member: 1531"]Except that this "some guy"'s opinion is published prominently by the World Wide Leader and made to look official, and subsequently lapped up by the gazillions of dolts that visit the website every day, which subsequently perpetuates the longstanding national disrespect of JB and the program.
:noidea:

Yeah. Twelfth best out of three hundred. What disresPect.[/quote]
Oh come on. They stuck he and Roy Williams behind the coach of Wichita state. That's just absurd.

Amongst coaches? What could be a better barometer of coaching success than wins and championships? I mean it's example a of sustained success.

For baseball pitchers I agree.

Championships are am excellent barometer.

docsu said:
Championships are am excellent barometer.

So about 1/2 of the guys who will be ahead of JB don't belong there.

docsu said:
There's an alarming lack of reading comprehension around here.

Well you said championships were an excellent barometer.

hanpanic.jpg