Boeheim says "tremendous changes" this offseason. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim says "tremendous changes" this offseason.

I can say with strong confidence that IF G does not return, it will not because he is pursuing a professional basketball career. I think when it comes down to it he will be back, but the decision he has to make isn't whether to pursue a professional basketball career or not.

What the heck? So he may leave early and not play bball?

Thats cray

I know that. Jeebus, I was talking about the "early entry". G aint getting drafted this year unless there is some miracle. Therefore he isn't an "early entry to the nba draft"

Is it that difficult to understand?
Just as long as you understand they are different situations? You now do, don't you?? It isn't hard to understand.

I can say with strong confidence that IF G does not return, it will not because he is pursuing a professional basketball career. I think when it comes down to it he will be back, but the decision he has to make isn't whether to pursue a professional basketball career or not.
If that is the case, a job at Merrill Lynch can wait. Easy for me to say, I don't know his situation. Does he have a child (not looking for an answer)? Does he have a sick parent or sibling (once again, not looking for an answer)? If the answer to either was yes, different story.

What the heck? So he may leave early and not play bball?

Thats cray
What if he had a sick family member or a child? Then it's tough. He could want very much to come back but family problems would make it very difficult.

I wonder if we have more than one defection if there is a late hard push to bring in Murray now that he reclassified. That would be one awesome tremendous change!
We have 2, 3 or 4 guys leave every year. So the fact that coach is talking about "tremendous changes" with only one starter graduating, is a bit unnerving. Something else is obviously driving that comment ... but what: NCAA sanctions; defections/transfers; TB and may someone else coming in? Who knows. But I like Orange Extreme's optimism.

Last edited:
@ccarlsononSU: Boeheim says tremendous changes meant Christmas leaving, four new freshmen, two returned injured players. Huge difference.

@ccarlsononSU: Boeheim: Six new guys is tremendous change to me. I don't know what else will happen. We don't know now, who will be here.

Any reason for the Cooney/ G omissions? Are you anticipating a ban next year?
Ya G and TC aren't going anywhere ... senior year for both, and they'll be big parts of the team. Also, CM is not going to be starting at the 3 anytime soon. He'll be backing up the 4 until his knee is ready in December or January. Until then, Tyler will start at PF. With any luck, Chris will be ready to play big minutes soon so TR can return to SF and Chris can get back inside to block shots and defend the rim. I think the variables are RP (most likely) and BJ (less likely) ... although I'm not advocating for anyone to leave.

I agree, reed, but TR doesn't strike me as a 3. He'd need to seriously improve his handle and outside shot. He looks a lot more comfortable inside.

With 4 (or 5) new guys coming in, Coleman back after 1 1/2 yrs and Chris returning these alone are big roster changes, not even counting early departures. Just think, with 10+ scholarship guys at practice, that alone will make a big difference to how the team develops.

I agree, reed, but TR doesn't strike me as a 3. He'd need to seriously improve his handle and outside shot. He looks a lot more comfortable inside.
He can play either spot, but he's clearly undersized as a PF. Right now, I agree that he fits there because he's a good second-level rebounder and SF is a stretch if you can't shoot. However, when Tyler has played as our second big (on the other side of the rim from the center) against bigger teams, we have gotten punished on the glass, and he has gotten exploited on D. When Chris is back functioning, his skill set and size are clearly better for PF (which is why he was the starter there early this year). He has a back to the basket game, he can block shots, he can finish (or has the potential to finish) over size and he can establish and maintain position against bigger inside players. In his place, Tyler has struggled against GT, UNC, LV, Pitt (twice), and Virginia.

Edit .. here's a longer explanation if you have a minute to go through it. http://syracusefan.com/threads/thomas-bryant.30550/page-29#post-1312326

Last edited:
OrangeXtreme said:
@ccarlsononSU: Boeheim says tremendous changes meant Christmas leaving, four new freshmen, two returned injured players. Huge difference. @ccarlsononSU: Boeheim: Six new guys is tremendous change to me. I don't know what else will happen. We don't know now, who will be here.

Others are leaving. JB basically says that.

Reed: I pretty much agree with your analysis above but I think that is going to be a quandary for JB? It'll be a logjam at the 4. If Roberson bulks up a little, maybe he won't get big-boyed as much. My question is: Is he a legit 6'8"? He looks closer to 6'7" to me and that could account for why he struggles against bigger front lines. Maybe he just needs some more muscle in there?

The bottom line is most of our team needs to live in the weight took this season. I think Cooney should stay OUT of the weight room, or at least do heavy reps and less heavy lifting.

I will add that if we add Bryant and have DC back, even for ten minutes a game, our front line would be quite formidable. Adding TB, DC and Diagne, we won't get pushed around in the paint. The thing I love about Bryant is his motor and his attitude. He has a mean streak in there, and to me, this team has lacked a certain toughness inside.

Just as long as you understand they are different situations? You now do, don't you?? It isn't hard to understand.

I knew they were different situations in 2009

What if he had a sick family member or a child? Then it's tough. He could want very much to come back but family problems would make it very difficult.

What?! Does he have a sick child or family member?

Does Trevor Cooney? Does Kaleb? Heck maybe Thomas Bryant wants to retire to care for his sick puppy.

Where in the HELL did that come from? WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

Unless you have inside information, may want to think about a self imposed ban for stupid theories as to why all of a sudden G is going to "retire" from basketball.

Would rather not post it, but if I were to place a bet on it, it would be for him coming back.

EDIT: Sorry I quoted your wrong post, meant to quote the post that you replied to me with.

Would rather not post it, but if I were to place a bet on it, it would be for him coming back.

EDIT: Sorry I quoted your wrong post, meant to quote the post that you replied to me with.

Anomander: Didn't you post above that you thought G would probably take his degree and leave?

Anomander: Didn't you post above that you thought G would probably take his degree and leave?

My first post I made in the thread was just a guess on what JB could have been referring to (post made before JB clarified his remarks) about "tremendous change". I'll have to go back and check, but i'm pretty sure I said in the following posts "IF" he were to leave this would be why. But when it's all said and done I do think he will return.

My guess. 5 new recruits. Return of CMac and DC2. BJ transfers, G takes his degree and begins a non-basketball professional career.

Anomander, this was your post I was referring to, but thanks for clarifying your thoughts above. I think he will be back too.

Last edited:
Anaomader, this was your post I was referring to, but thanks for clarifying your thoughts above. I think he will be back too.

Ya I can see how it would be taken that way. Let's hope for the best. We need a break.

What?! Does he have a sick child or family member?

Does Trevor Cooney? Does Kaleb? Heck maybe Thomas Bryant wants to retire to care for his sick puppy.

Where in the HELL did that come from? WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

Unless you have inside information, may want to think about a self imposed ban for stupid theories as to why all of a sudden G is going to "retire" from basketball.
WHAT? I said I thought he would come back. I'm giving reasons why someone would take a degree and get a regular job. Is that so hard to understand?

Agree on all counts. Tyler has excellent length. He has big hands and he pursues the ball well in space. Against smaller teams, or spread offense teams, he flourishes. Against power teams, however, it's asking a lot of a 6-7/6-8, 210 pound guy to go up against the beefeaters at UNC, Pitt, G-Tch, LV, Virginia, etc. It's hard enough to score on these bigger teams, but when you go -10, - 15 or -20 on the glass (we were -22 against Virginia), you have no chance of winning. Can he bulk up? Maybe, but he'd need another 25 pounds to compete at the 4 against the front lines in the top half of the ACC.

This is why CM is a better candidate for the 4 -- if/when he's healthy. He's 3 inches taller and has a bigger frame. He can block shots, and he can face up or score on the low block. Tyler is not a shot blocker; and has no back-to-the-basket game and struggles to rebound and defend the rim against big bodies --these are essential skills for an effective PF in my book. On the other hand, Tyler has definite SF skills that don't involve shooting: he can slash to the basket, he can definitely rebound in space and he can get clean-up/put backs on the offensive glass. He's athletically gifted, runs the floor and elevates well and can be very effective in transition and around the rim because of his length. What's holding him back is his jump shot which (IMO) is simply confidence and experience. With the improvement he's made this year playing such a difficult position .. if he finds his shot next year watch out.

TB -- is going to be a great leader for us if we can bring him in. He has great size, length and energy. From the clips of him on the recruiting board, he's also fiercely competitive and intelligent. I think he will be very coachable and will pick up the zone more quickly than other bigs we've had. There will be a learning curve, obviously. But having him in the middle could make the difference between a good and a great season next year. We don't know how DC2 is going to perform, and having a talent like TB in the middle will allow both players to ease into their roles without the kind of pressure that Rak was under this year.

Last edited:
I am sure that this has been mentioned before, but how does the change in ships (no more 1 year ships--they are all 4) play with all of these scenarios?

Reed: I pretty much agree with your analysis above but I think that is going to be a quandary for JB? It'll be a logjam at the 4. If Roberson bulks up a little, maybe he won't get big-boyed as much. My question is: Is he a legit 6'8"? He looks closer to 6'7" to me and that could account for why he struggles against bigger front lines. Maybe he just needs some more muscle in there?

The bottom line is most of our team needs to live in the weight took this season. I think Cooney should stay OUT of the weight room, or at least do heavy reps and less heavy lifting.

I will add that if we add Bryant and have DC back, even for ten minutes a game, our front line would be quite formidable. Adding TB, DC and Diagne, we won't get pushed around in the paint. The thing I love about Bryant is his motor and his attitude. He has a mean streak in there, and to me, this team has lacked a certain toughness inside.

Not Reed, but I'll chime in: I think the big reason he struggles has little to do with whether he's 6-8 versus 6-7. I think it has to do with him weighing 205 pounds, and being a power forward. The offense, the mid range shot, improved inside moves--that will all come with experience. But he needs to add 20 pounds to REALLY maximize his potential. Right now, he's just too light.

Not Reed, but I'll chime in: I think the big reason he struggles has little to do with whether he's 6-8 versus 6-7. I think it has to do with him weighing 205 pounds, and being a power forward. The offense, the mid range shot, improved inside moves--that will all come with experience. But he needs to add 20 pounds to REALLY maximize his potential. Right now, he's just too light.

Yep. I obviously said that about TR needing to bulk up but 6'7" is pretty small to play as a 4.